Pages: (6) 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicCreate New TopicCreate New Poll

Serious Story Thinking Thread, LET'S DO THIS
alliterator
 Posted: Jun 5 2012, 01:55 PM

The Jerkface Man
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 7

That sounds really good actually.

Duchess could go into into a Door to escape the Grotesque - the Empty City would be the only place where she could dream without it, even though she's giving up her life.

And I like the concept of Cloud giving up his life to stop HOMUNCULI - he's evolving from the simple "For Science!" person into someone who cares.

Faces, Strange and Secret: An Anthology of Stories from da Fears Mythos: on sale from Amazon, Kindle, and Smashwords

My Finished Stories.

My Ongoing Stories:
Channel Fear (informational, educational, cynical)
The Supernatural Anaesthetist (seeing where science takes us)
Once There Was (the king is the kingdom)
An Old Man's Winter Night (at the winter of the world)
Unwashed and Somewhat Slightly Dazed (working for the man)
The Secret History of the World (unstuck in time)
Notes from the Underground (a place to stay)
Phantasmagorical (a bedtime story)
Paranoia: A Manifesto (wrecking the wall)
The Day The Music Died (running from sound and sorrow)
Abraham's Men (knights, ghosts, and shadows)
Pest Control (pulling the wings off of flies)
PM
DJay32
 Posted: Jun 5 2012, 02:17 PM

Sally Death
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 8

OH MY GOD IDEA

What if FT-DGLGMUT is essentially stored as a weapon, a last-resort for EAT to use when something really bad's happening? Let me rephrase that: So Doctor Cloud knows how to stop FT-HOMUNCULI. And he blogs this, blogs that he's going to stay late in the Genera the next day to do hard work and stop that crazy Fossil. And this lets EAT know. So the Night Owls take this as the cue to set a lot of Fossils loose, which distract people so they don't expect fucking Dglgmut there to kill people. And Dglgmut's entire purpose in this scenario would be to kill Doctor Cloud before he stops the Homunculi. Of course, Doctor Cloud succeeds just in time, but then he's killed.

That way, we can allow for a pretty legitimately suspenseful scene with the reader wondering if Doctor Cloud's gonna make it in time. And then we'll have Dglgmut loose for about another movement or two, a sort of The Dragon that Liquid Len will figure out some kind of method for defeating.

Now all I need to do is actually figure out what FT-DGLGMUT will look like and whatnot.

EXHIBITS:
Viceking's Graab (Step inside the maze. You could spend an eternity here.)
The Mythology of Empathy (Eight songs, nine tracks. Welcome death.)
Ancestor (Five tracks. Death of the Artist and Chinese mythology.)
Fear (A visual art exhibit in blog format.)
Nobody anymore, never again (Another visual art exhibit in blog format.)
The Everyblogger Triad: 1, 2, 3 (Embrace the bad writing, give into your psyche.)
PLAN 31 (Frank Slenderman: Ace Attorney)
OH GOD THE RAPTURE IS BURNING (400,000 words. Five months. All Fears. Excess. On fifth draft, not final.)
Topography Genera (15 blogs. Conventional horror. See seas rise.)
PM
DJay32
 Posted: Jun 8 2012, 12:43 PM

Sally Death
Group Icon

Movement II of the main Topography Genera story will focus more on Duchess. I'll be getting pullingoffmasks to record more stuff for this, and I'll see if Jane can give me that blogger login.

What do I want to have happen here, good question.

Around the start, Duchess will receive a message from the higher-ups (probably Blackcap) saying she's been promoted to blogging from FRED or whatever we said that thing's name was.

Throughout the latter half of the first movement, Duchess will have been interviewed by Doctor Cloud, and she will have described her dreams. And these will have been recorded. The recordings will be declassified progressively throughout the movement, with FT-(Grotesque/Reverie) being properly introduced around the end of the second movement.

This movement will also be spent with characters wondering why Duchess was promoted because of her dreams. They'll find out about this new Fossil classification, and then right at the end of the second movement, we'll get either a character saying or a report stating that Duchess is planned for an Op-Salad. And that'll be a brilliant Wham Line to end the movement on. (The third movement will focus more on getting Duchess out of this, and she'll walk into a Door either halfway through or around the end)

So. That means we/some combination of us need to figure out Duchess' dreams. And the Fossil name for Grotesque, which we might already have but I've forgotten.

And I should figure out what Liquid Len will be doing for this movement! I was thinking maybe he'd be trying to be quiet because he's worried-- OH I GOT IT

Towards the start of the second movement (if not the start), Liquid Len receives a message from the Night Owls threatening him to basically shut up and stop investigating. I kinda want to get Allanbag to do this as Doctor Walls (but voice modified), but I don't know if he's even around anymore. And so, with this threat, all that Len does for this movement is post (coincidentally symbolic) songs and Fossil research and blogs.

Speaking of, I plan on posting Testing in Progress and Administry for a Cause in this movement as well. ..hm, but where could that possibly fit in. I mean, as soon as Len reads the blogs, he's gonna realize this means EAT has seriously taken over the North branch, and that's gonna be a major sign that something's wrong. Maybe he'd post them-- OH WAIT WAIT I GOT IT.

Around the start, Mordecai leaves a message saying "Stop with the fucking requests, EAT is not our problem." This worries Len, so he voluntarily shuts up a bit. But then he finds those two blogs and posts them on the main blog, doesn't know what to think at all, and then the Night Owl sends him a message threatening him to shut up. So he does.

There, I'm pretty damn proud of that plan. I think it sounds good. I'll make a separate thread for-- wait no, I'll just put the dream stuff in the Duchess thread. :D

EDIT: Also, because I really love coming up with movement names, I have a couple names in mind for this one. "ASCENDING THE RANKS," "PROMOTION," "SLEEP INSANE," "OFFICIAL BUSINESS."

EXHIBITS:
The Everyblogger Triad: 1, 2, 3 (Embrace the bad writing, give into your psyche.)
OH GOD THE RAPTURE IS BURNING (400,000 words. Five months. All Fears. Excess. On fifth draft, not final.)
PM
alliterator
 Posted: Jun 8 2012, 02:08 PM

The Jerkface Man
Group Icon

I like the name "OFFICIAL BUSINESS." It has a sinister air to it.

The next act for Doctor Cloud is called "Observer Effects." It'll have him researching into new Fossil classifications, as well as trying to figure out what the Night Owls are and what to do about the Tower's upcoming apocalypse. I don't quite know how that one will end though, so it can easily go for much longer than Act Two and synchronize up with the East blog.

Faces, Strange and Secret: An Anthology of Stories from da Fears Mythos: on sale from Amazon, Kindle, and Smashwords

My Finished Stories.

My Ongoing Stories:
PM
DJay32
 Posted: Jun 8 2012, 02:27 PM

Sally Death
Group Icon

On one hand, I'd like for the new Fossil classifications to be revealed on the main blog, as well as what the Night Owls are. But I can let you do the Fossil classifications as long as I can do the Night Owls. I don't plan on revealing it for a while, though.

Maybe Doctor Cloud finds out that Night Owls are simply "Moles." That's all that's said about them.

I dunno, I just have this idealistic plan of having the entire Topography Genera something you can read from start to finish simply by starting with the start of Center East and clicking any links to blogs that are presented. So The Supernatural Anaesthetist would be more of an extension of this, not exactly going over plot points that will be revealed on Center East, but extending on the plot points that aren't.

Going by this design, when you do give a Cloud update and post a link to Anaesthetist, I'd advise making sure the link goes to the post at the start of Act Two or something. Because that way, it's really almost like the reader just turned a page in the overall Genera book and wound up at a new chapter from a different viewpoint; all they have to do is keep pressing the arrow keys to read the next post. <:D I've been experimenting with how to tell the story like this, in the most linear and coherent way possible. But if all else fails, we can just stick to handing out links on the collective Tumblr.

EXHIBITS:
PM
alliterator
 Posted: Jun 9 2012, 05:26 PM

The Jerkface Man
Group Icon

Okay, Act Three of "The Supernatural Anaesthetist" should line up with Act Two of "Topography Genera Center East."

Each will be about new classifications of Fossils: SHALOTT and the Reverie (which we don't have a Fossil name for yet - how about RESTLESS?).

My Finished Stories.

My Ongoing Stories:
PM
DJay32
 Posted: Jun 9 2012, 07:13 PM

Sally Death
Group Icon

QUOTE (alliterator @ Jun 9 2012, 06:26 PM)
Okay, Act Three of "The Supernatural Anaesthetist" should line up with Act Two of "Topography Genera Center East."

Each will be about new classifications of Fossils: SHALOTT and the Reverie (which we don't have a Fossil name for yet - how about RESTLESS?).

ANABOLIC, LOTUS (lotus eater), DEEPER, SURREALISM, RUDESS (named after Jordan Rudess, the keyboardist for Dream Theater, I don't know! xD), DRIFTING, DRIFTER, CABINET, CALIGARI.

Off the top of my head. Any sound good? ..I'd suggest REVERIE but that's obvious. Which is a shame; I love that word.

EXHIBITS:
PM
alliterator
 Posted: Jun 9 2012, 10:46 PM

The Jerkface Man
Group Icon

How about Fossil-Type LOTUS-EATER?

My Finished Stories.

My Ongoing Stories:
PM
DJay32
 Posted: Jun 9 2012, 11:06 PM

Sally Death
Group Icon

QUOTE (alliterator @ Jun 9 2012, 11:46 PM)
How about Fossil-Type LOTUS-EATER?

I was thinking that. It can work. There'd be a space, no hyphen. But for one thing, it'd be rather similar to "EAT," and just calling it FT-LOTUS sounds fine to me. But I'm fine with whichever you choose.

EXHIBITS:
PM
alliterator
 Posted: Jun 9 2012, 11:15 PM

The Jerkface Man
Group Icon

I'm good with FT-LOTUS. Alternately, we could call them LOTOPHAGI. It still means 'lotus eater.'

My Finished Stories.

My Ongoing Stories:
PM
DJay32
 Posted: Jun 10 2012, 12:43 AM

Sally Death
Group Icon

QUOTE (alliterator @ Jun 10 2012, 12:15 AM)
I'm good with FT-LOTUS. Alternately, we could call them LOTOPHAGI. It still means 'lotus eater.'

Maybe LOTOPHAGI is the super-official Fossil name and most people shorten it to "Lotus."

EXHIBITS:
PM
alliterator
 Posted: Jun 10 2012, 12:46 AM

The Jerkface Man
Group Icon

That's good.

My Finished Stories.

My Ongoing Stories:
PM
DJay32
 Posted: Jul 31 2012, 05:51 AM

Sally Death
Group Icon

So after looking into the subject of movements in a musical context, I've come to think quite a bit about what it means to have movements in a work like this.

I kinda really like the idea of a movement standing by itself, though of course it's referring more to musically, so a movement of Topography Genera by itself would just have to be structurally standalone and ignore me I'm rambling.

But then there was a bit about how movements are usually organized to have contrast, like fast-slow-fast or otherwise thematically arranged. And so I've basically come to realize we're gonna have some slower movements of Topography Genera (that is, with a focus on characterization and developing concepts) as well as some faster ones (EXCITING). And this works pretty well with the story so far: The first movement was fairly 'fast' (in that there was a lot of action), and this second movement so far has been pretty 'slow' (in that it's been developing things).

..so yeah. Basically, this post is to officially say we can have slow movements. And I dunno, it's just interesting stuff to think about for me.

EXHIBITS:
PM
DJay32
 Posted: Dec 9 2012, 03:28 AM

Sally Death
Group Icon

I made a video.

I don't quite know what blog to tie it in with yet, and it's more of just a teaser introduction anyway, so I'll keep it quiet for now. I'm gonna get my friends involved, as well as Nathan and Kit when they get here on Wednesday.

EXHIBITS:
PM
DJay32
 Posted: Dec 9 2012, 10:03 PM

Sally Death
Group Icon

A continuation of the vlog thing!

It's hard to see, hard to hear, and hard to even follow. We originally were doing it in the harbour where it was much easier to see, but then this really big guy came by and thought a real fight was going on and so we kinda ran away scared.

I tried to make St. Anger be a musical sort of Arc Word of sorts because we intend on having The Brute (or whatever it is we called him) in this somewhere. And the thing the people say halfway through is "Hello, Christopher Daniels." Because they're Camper.

EXHIBITS:
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (6) 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last » Reply to this topicCreate New TopicCreate New Poll