Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicCreate New TopicCreate New Poll

Runner culture, Tale of the Lost Vikings
DJay32
 Posted: Jun 24 2012, 08:50 PM

Sally Death
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 8

The Moonchildren are a gang of humans, probably not proxies of any sort, who have very good intentions. But they hate all forms of authority. To a runner, they are extremely nice and generous, following the Code of Abacab religiously. In King Crimson's "Moonchild," the Moonchild is basically just a person of nature who is innocent and.. well, natural.

Winkler is a derogatory term meaning policemen. The term comes from Genesis' "Get 'Em Out by Friday," which is a bit of a quirky rock opera about a real estate company that tries to evict people and move them into really cheap places while raising the rent higher and higher, and then it turns sci-fi and they buy out the department of Genetic Control and impose a four-foot limit on humanoid height, which lets them fit more people into the same building site. The Winkler is the person they'd send to do the dirty work, evicting people and all that.

Shevanel, founder of the Moonchildren, is basically a really happy hobo. Name comes from Between the Buried and Me's "Shevanel Cut a Flip," "Shevanel Take 2," and "Mordecai." Shevanel was a hobo who was extremely happy with his life despite having so little, and those songs were all about life's stresses and the never-ending pursuit for personal happiness.

EXHIBITS:
Viceking's Graab (Step inside the maze. You could spend an eternity here.)
The Mythology of Empathy (Eight songs, nine tracks. Welcome death.)
Ancestor (Five tracks. Death of the Artist and Chinese mythology.)
Fear (A visual art exhibit in blog format.)
Nobody anymore, never again (Another visual art exhibit in blog format.)
The Everyblogger Triad: 1, 2, 3 (Embrace the bad writing, give into your psyche.)
PLAN 31 (Frank Slenderman: Ace Attorney)
OH GOD THE RAPTURE IS BURNING (400,000 words. Five months. All Fears. Excess. On fifth draft, not final.)
Topography Genera (15 blogs. Conventional horror. See seas rise.)
PM
DJay32
 Posted: Jul 10 2012, 09:13 PM

Sally Death
Group Icon

Tale of the Lost Vikings, I've decided, will follow a multi-movement structure while trying to have somewhat of a reader interaction.

The last movement will be the Lost Viking in the Genera. He will be told of Scarecrow being a Camper in there, and he'll probably be told by Shevanel, who'll also probably be in the runner holds. This would probably come around, say, the third or fourth movement of Center East.

In the meantime, what about the rest of this story? Hm.

So far, we have the Lost Viking, who was chased out of his home by Tindalos. Smile's also there so he can't sleep alone, and the Larks always follow him. The Lost Viking seems to be pursued by nature-based Fossils, so we can also throw in the Crawlers (or whatever it is we called the Intrusion). Hades is in this as well, so something very important has to happen with Hades to justify marking him as a Prisoner.

I should come up with more gangs. We have the peaceful Moonchildren, how about a more rambunctious gang? The Lurkers, or the Dodo Lurkers or something. They're assholes, beat up innocent people, treat animals unkindly. Named for the Genesis song "Dodo/Lurker," which is about.. well, blatant human cruelty.

Over in the California area, just for the sake of Rapture parallels, we'll have the Death Valley Bikers!

Hm. There should also be the cult of Hades, definitely. I want him to be a significant Fossil. Shallott, too. I want to expand upon The Mother of Snakes, that Fear has really grown on me. And Birchman'll be in there too.

Okay, I'll just start writing a post and we'll see where it goes from there.

EXHIBITS:
The Everyblogger Triad: 1, 2, 3 (Embrace the bad writing, give into your psyche.)
OH GOD THE RAPTURE IS BURNING (400,000 words. Five months. All Fears. Excess. On fifth draft, not final.)
PM
alliterator
 Posted: Jul 10 2012, 09:40 PM

The Jerkface Man
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 7

Yeah, I really need to update Hymn from Proserpine and FT-Shalott.

Faces, Strange and Secret: An Anthology of Stories from da Fears Mythos: on sale from Amazon, Kindle, and Smashwords

My Finished Stories.

My Ongoing Stories:
Channel Fear (informational, educational, cynical)
The Supernatural Anaesthetist (seeing where science takes us)
Once There Was (the king is the kingdom)
An Old Man's Winter Night (at the winter of the world)
Unwashed and Somewhat Slightly Dazed (working for the man)
The Secret History of the World (unstuck in time)
Notes from the Underground (a place to stay)
Phantasmagorical (a bedtime story)
Paranoia: A Manifesto (wrecking the wall)
The Day The Music Died (running from sound and sorrow)
Abraham's Men (knights, ghosts, and shadows)
Pest Control (pulling the wings off of flies)
PM
DJay32
 Posted: Jul 10 2012, 10:35 PM

Sally Death
Group Icon

To analyze the post I just wrote:

The Birchman is a very vague Fossil. If you run into it, you'll either be slaughtered gruesomely (with your intestines places in plastic bags and all that) or it'll "operate" your mind. I don't want to explicitly use the word "proxy;" I want to keep it cryptic.

The Prophets of War are.. uh. I had an idea when I first thought of them, but I lost it. xD I guess they're one of those things that are there in case we need something!

The "Invisible Touch" is what Scarecrow called EAT's takeover of the Topography Genera Center North in 2005, and it also refers to EAT's overall takeover of the Genera. Of course, Scarecrow never went into detail about it. All he said was that the Invisible Touch was what made Willow Farm bad. By instilling a sense of nostalgia, a sense of "Life used to be so rad and now it's shit," Scarecrow is strengthening the sense of "Us and Them" and dehumanizing the Genera workers more. The Invisible Touch has become, in the runner culture, a phrase that evokes strong emotions. To prevent individuals from questioning exactly what it was.

Troy Breppo and Peter Yildirim were two of the first Night Owls. They weren't, of course, the only ones, but they were used in the entry to introduce the concept of people being to blame for the Genera's downfall. I was thinking one of them would be, like, Doctor Walls or something. Just.. one of them would be a higher-up we know.

"Your Invisible Touch means nothing. Ceesrais, seas will rise, see seas rise, see Ceesrais. My Invisible Touch means everything." I'm actually fairly proud of this, because this is a case of subjectivity and of introducing the motif of conflict among Fossils. Smile is saying, with "Your Invisible Touch means nothing/My Invisible Touch means everything," that EAT's takeover of the Genera is doomed to fail and that Smile has plans on either a takeover of the Genera or some other grand event that it believes will work. Of course, Smile's plan-- whatever it is-- will also fail, but Smile is arrogant enough to taunt. So yes, it's basically saying "EAT's plan won't work, I'm so much better, har har har."

And yes, in case that wasn't obvious, Ceesrais is EAT. It was a name I made up for Hell and Earth's eighth post and I kinda really liked it. Pronounced "seas rise." Kinda cheesy, but I won't use it all that much. xD

EXHIBITS:
PM
alliterator
 Posted: Jul 10 2012, 11:55 PM

The Jerkface Man
Group Icon

Excellent. And Doctor Walls can be one of the Night Owls - that fits well with him removing Cloud from the HOMUNCULI project after Rowland mentioned the Night Owls - he doesn't want Cloud to know more than he lets him.

I think I've figured out a way to make Shalott and Lamia different from the mainstream interpretations - it's all about reflections. Shalott's Lamias can look human or serpent - but in their serpent form, they have scales which they can turn into mirrors and then imitate whatever is in front of them - become another person's mirror image, look exactly like them, a dark reflection.

These mirror images are called by runners "the Ripples" are not many people know that they are the Lamia as well.

Faces, Strange and Secret: An Anthology of Stories from da Fears Mythos: on sale from Amazon, Kindle, and Smashwords

My Finished Stories.

My Ongoing Stories:
PM
DJay32
 Posted: Aug 8 2012, 08:44 AM

Sally Death
Group Icon

I FIGURED SOMETHING OUT

So EAT and Hades have an alliance. Hades wants EAT to help him with his plans, EAT knows that helping Hades will Xanatos Gambit its way back to helping her. Yes.
Meanwhile, the runner culture is dying, and Tale of the Lost Vikings is chronicling this. By the time the blog ends, the Lost Viking will be in Hell's Kitchen where Shevanel will tell him the truth about Scarecrow. Simultaneously, it's around here that the runner culture will be all but dead, reduced to stragglers who are too scared to blog and ask for help and too hopeless to pair up with anyone. Yes.
...so then Scarecrow comes back.

EAT makes Scarecrow appear to a Hades-cult one night. They assume Scarecrow's dead, so they assume this is Hades appearing to them with something mega-important. The reason Hades wouldn't just tell them this himself is because he acknowledges that, for such an important message, he needs it to appear hugely significant, and nothing says that like Scarecrow.
Scarecrow tells them:

"Final, he Final. Death May Die. Faceless nothings, Somethings in lore.
Ne'er Again, Ne'er Enough. Fifteen million feet of Earth between the Buried and me.
Ne'er Again, Ne'er Enough. Second Degree come to pass, Hope savior'd All.
Ne'er Again, Ne'er Enough. Nor' by Nor'East. Tomes of True, Tomes Be Me.
Ne'er Again, Ne'er Enough. The Ones who Help to Set the Sun will fall and Fall.
Ne'er Again, Ne'er Enough. Five by Night, All lose all.
Ne'er Enough, Ne'er Again. Of Risen Kings and Queened Country, Damnation cannot save.
Ne'er Enough, Ne'er Again. Beep beep meow, End is New.
Ne'er Enough, Ne'er Again. Worlds below, the Last Supper is Ready.
Final, he Final. Death May Die. Faceless nothings, Somethings in lore."

And this basically confirms to them that the Hell and Earth scriptures are coming to fruition and stuff, and the Hades subplot really kicks into gear. To attempt to make sense of the scriptures:

1: Scarecrow's speech.
2: Hades rests and lets the runner culture react.
3: Something about EAT and the internet. Thirteen Moonchildren convert to the cult of Hades, and they are dubbed the Moonlit Knights (they'll be important, though I don't know how xD).
4: "Castles crumbled" could mean any number of things. A Night Owl begins an exodus (to the government, I'm thinking).
5: Hades, now indebted to EAT, is asked to help her __________, and he accepts. Then something about a "Knight of the Green Shield" that is secretly a Moonlit Knight.
6: Hades works on EAT's favor, leads his people, probably gets his people to do work for EAT.
7: Hades brings Dionysus back to life as Lazarus, Larks and Selkie are involved in this somewhere. (By this point, The Endless Obsession had long since happened, so Dionysus has been dead for a while)
8: Hades reaches "the Shores of Knowledge," something about thirteen eldritch abominations (one of which, "Ceesrais," is EAT; another is called "Ontological"). Hades "fails." And then Hades interacts with the Cremator. (I'm thinking Hades is betrayed by thirteen eldritch abominations, one of which is EAT and another of which is the Cremator, because this works with the next pages. And I kinda really want to make up some new abominations for this, solely for this.)
9: Hades realizes that the Moonlit Knights have all betrayed him and are now Camper, so he kills them (he's mad at EAT now after page 8). Something about a Knight of the Green Shield laughing. That Night Owl from earlier is in the government.
10: The Night Owls basically order for all the Hades-cult members to be thrown in Hell's Kitchen, and meanwhile Hades is engulfed in an Alpha Wave of EAT and killed. Or hell, maybe even turned into a Camper, himself. And Selkie laughs.
11: As EAT kills/Camperfies all of the people who once followed Hades, we get this passage about "Man rising to Perfection." I don't know whether this should be metaphorical or what. There's the option of it being one single man is put through a series of trials and eventually becomes the new Hades, and that's what I'm thinking would make the most sense. Selkie laughs at this, and Lazarus watches (I think they'd be the ones putting the man through the trials, as a secret alliance of Fossils against EAT).
12: The man becomes Hades/the new Hades/"A New Mask" of Hades." And "Selkie Froze."
13: The new Hades starts trying to gather new followers. The Night Owl from earlier takes over (Australia's?) government, prompting Hades to directly confront EAT. The Night Owls kill this Hades too (maybe imprison him so that people can't make a new Hades). The Larks summon a Court of Wood (Selkie, I imagine), and then the Shores of Knowledge rise and Ceesrais rises.

That's Hades' tale, and what happens next, I imagine we'd need to figure out more Fossils to figure out.

SO YEAH, and all this starts with the end of Tale of the Lost Vikings. Hades trusts EAT, EAT does the Scarecrow favor for Hades and then completely backstabs him.

..I'm actually pretty proud of how creative Hell and Earth is now.

EXHIBITS:
PM
alliterator
 Posted: Aug 8 2012, 01:53 PM

The Jerkface Man
Group Icon

Very interesting. It sounds really, really epic. I'm loving all the references to the Moonlit Knights (and the Knights of the Green Shield). In fact, I was thinking of calling the Mother of Snakes the Lady of the Green Kirtle.

8: Hades reaches "the Shores of Knowledge," something about thirteen eldritch abominations (one of which, "Ceesrais," is EAT; another is called "Ontological"). Hades "fails." And then Hades interacts with the Cremator. (I'm thinking Hades is betrayed by thirteen eldritch abominations, one of which is EAT and another of which is the Cremator, because this works with the next pages. And I kinda really want to make up some new abominations for this, solely for this.)

We could try working in either the Red Cap or the Brute and the Burning Bride.

My Finished Stories.

My Ongoing Stories:
PM
DJay32
 Posted: Aug 8 2012, 10:05 PM

Sally Death
Group Icon

..to clarify, the Moonlit Knights and Knight of the Green Shield are both from Genesis' "Dancing with the Moonlit Knight." <:D Which, for the record, was about England's transition into a more commercialized society in the 70s. The Knights of the Green Shield (stamp and shout!) is a play on the Greenshield Stamp, which.. I've forgotten what it was, but I think it was a mark of capitalism.

Red Cap and the Brute/Burning Bridge, love that idea. I kinda want to set up some sort of hierarchy of Fossils. Or not even a hierarchy, just.. some Fossils would be clearly more powerful than others. Like how Lovecraft had more powerful and less powerful monsters.

At the extreme top, practically not even on the charts, there's over there. Now, at its heart, over there has the potential to turn into Xanadu, but that's.. not what happens in Genera so let's not worry about that. xD That's just to stress that over there is sorta just there to keep the Fossils in check.

Now, obviously EAT and the Homunculi would be somewhere around the top, the proper Cthulhu-level power. Hades wants to be this level, but he fails to be. Dionysus was this level before he was killed by Selkie (we need to figure out the details of Lazarus). Icefall is this level, to the extent of being apathetic towards humans and not really being possible to combat. Icefall's kinda what EAT used to be: Neither malevolent nor benevolent. This level is for the Fossils who need to be held back so they won't just plain destroy the world. I think Lotophagi could be here, as it's held back only by Duchess' mind.

Below this, we'd have Lazarus, Hades, Selkie, the Birchman, Smile, and the Cremator (with the Cremator kinda bordering on the top tier when he gets pissed). These are the Fossils that can affect a great amount of people but need a lot of work to do any significant change to the world. Brute and Burning Bride might be here.

Below that, there's Passacaglia, probably Monochrome, maybe Tindalos (might be in the upper tier), maybe Shallott and Red Cap. The Larks and Crawlers would be here, for sure. These are the Fossils that can kill people and fuck things up, but they're kinda just there. The vanilla Grotesque would have been here. Hell, most of the vanilla Fears go here.

So, the Shores of Knowledge could be that top tier. Hell, "Ontological" could be the fancy name for over there. Then there'd be Ceesrais (EAT), and.. let me just pull up the list of made-up names. xD

hurlubrull
permepatron
ontological
wedpolkm
hebehkreh
rosendower
vraistellen
ceesrais
sbomten
gengelk
urfdael
laifenduth
nietrut

Bold already there (the list of names is in octave pentameter, so in this case the fifth, eighth, tenth, and thirteenth names get bolded). Ontological would be over there, Ceesrais would be EAT, Nietrut could be Homunculi, Gengelk could be Lotophagi. Hebehkreh, uh.. Brute? I guess, whatever the bolded names are, they're the most significant Fossils in the Genera story. So Hebehkreh could be the Cremator.

One of those names, I'm thinking, would be Dglgmut. "THE ARTIFICIAL GOD." And readers would instantly assume "OH THAT'S THE MANUFACTURED NEWBORN, ISN'T IT?" Or "OH, THAT'S THE GROTESQUE BECAUSE THIS WAS TECHNICALLY ITS DEBUT."

..one thing's for sure: I come up with stupid names when I'm trying to sound almost Lovecraftian. Though some of them are pretty nice. Still like Ceesrais.

EXHIBITS:
PM
alliterator
 Posted: Aug 8 2012, 10:11 PM

The Jerkface Man
Group Icon

Actually, those are pretty good nonsense names.

I love "Ontological" as the name for the Empty City - and not just because it's a reference to my blog. "Ontological" means "pertaining to ontology" - ontology being sort of the study of beings in existence. (It's metaphysics, it's weird.) But another definition is the computer science definition, "A structure of concepts or entities within a domain, organized by relationships; a system model."

My Finished Stories.

My Ongoing Stories:
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 2  Reply to this topicCreate New TopicCreate New Poll