Reply to this topicCreate New TopicCreate New Poll

Themes, do you see what i see
Apostate
 Posted: Sep 29 2015, 03:36 PM

Mad

Group: Members
Member No.: 223

LET'S TALK ABOUT UNDERLYING THEMES WE'RE INTERESTED IN WRITING ABOUT SINCE I AM CURRENTLY BEING CHARRED IN THE HOT INTERPRETIVE FURNACE OF THE SUBTEXT-HOUNDING OF NO LESS THAN FOUR ENGLISH COURSES.

What are some themes you'd like to explore with the Mythos? What are some themes you've seen crop up a lot?

PM
Hexillith
 Posted: Sep 29 2015, 05:46 PM

Bat One
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 397

Shit, yes.

A lot of the stuff that I want to explore... isn't stuff that I can really put into words? More like feelings? Really complex ones that need to be... felt to be understood? And I'm working on learning how to write prose and scenarios that can evoke those feelings. Journal of the days after, Mene, Mene, Tekel, Upharsin, and the stuff I've submitted to the anthology fall into this category. And Unseelie, to a lesser extent.

I am going to write something with the Tarantella. Eventually.

Also! Ideas reminiscent of some from existentialism and philosophical Luciferianism using the Vision and the Archangel! I say reminiscent because I wasn't aware of Luciferianism at the time I did most of the work on that story, so it's not directly inspired. That's the story I released a promo image for a while back, the one whose first act was supposed to be released in early September. Oops.

I'm also thinking about taking the themes in Journal of the days after and tweaking Landscape to express/expand upon those rather than the random-ass Red Cap stuff that's in there currently. Keeping the stuff about mental illness, of course. Also will probably edit/rewrite Journal. ...god I do not have time for all of this.

Unseelie - The place where giants rule

Journal of the days after - Torn from xer awful embrace

Mene, Mene, Tekel, Upharsin - Read it and weep

Our Cyclical Dance - Endlessly in on itself

I'm on Tumblr and DeviantArt.

So look at the fleeting stars with fleeting eyes, and feel how the earth beneath you gives. It is all a temporary manifestation of particles, and it is all unraveling back to particulate silence. The bustle of the human day will come and will go. And then there will be night. -WtNV
PM
Apostate
 Posted: Sep 29 2015, 05:48 PM

Mad

Member No.: 223

There's always time, there's always time. Is there anything you wish the Mythos would explore more, or that you'd like to see?

PM
Hexillith
 Posted: Sep 29 2015, 05:49 PM

Bat One
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 397

I'd like to see more social/political commentary. Hence the Tarantella.

Unseelie - The place where giants rule

Journal of the days after - Torn from xer awful embrace

Mene, Mene, Tekel, Upharsin - Read it and weep

Our Cyclical Dance - Endlessly in on itself

I'm on Tumblr and DeviantArt.

So look at the fleeting stars with fleeting eyes, and feel how the earth beneath you gives. It is all a temporary manifestation of particles, and it is all unraveling back to particulate silence. The bustle of the human day will come and will go. And then there will be night. -WtNV
PM
DJay32
 Posted: Sep 29 2015, 09:05 PM

Sally Death
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 8

A list of my more recent stories and some of their (conscious) themes, off the top of my head:

OH GOD THE RAPTURE IS BURNING: Themes mostly apply to the newest draft I'm working on, but they still apply to previous drafts.
- (Writing as) Creation: Jordan writes it and then it becomes reality. This is linked to...
- Individualism vs collectivity: See also industrial media vs digital media. Jordan's journals are conventionally meant to be his own private work, but he doesn't quite let them stay private, nor does the apocalypse. As more characters read and write in his journal, Jordan himself changes, knowing he's being observed.
- Change (in Communities, in People, in the Self): This one's always been present, in every draft. From an early age I've been captivated by tales of metamorphosis. Growing up with the music of Genesis helped that. "Apocalypse," after all, does not refer to the end of the world-- it's the change of a world.
- Universality (of experience, of emotion): Parallels show up a lot, in all of my works, and I like to think they work best when they move towards proving this point-- that we're not so different. That even our gods aren't so different. Nothing is sacred, nothing is really on a pedestal. Jordan arguably gets a lot of headway with the Fears simply because he can relate to them, he finds a way to relate.

Topography Genera deliberately focuses on a lot of the same themes as Rapture, as from the start both stories were intended as companion pieces to each other. Rapture was meant to be the more optimistic of the two, with Genera as the more depressing one. Rapture is fire, Genera is water. But there's much overlap.
- (Writing as) Creation: A central idea, though not one that is readily obvious. Here it's much less fantastical, more of a deconstruction.
- Individualism vs collectivity: This is blatantly touched upon in The Supernatural Anaesthetist, where Gestas talks about the shift in media between the industrial age and our contemporary digital one.
- Change: Genera takes a look at this theme from the opposite angle-- the more things change, the more they stay the same. Cycles come up again and again and again in this story. Related to...
- Universality: Parallels, parallels, parallels. We're not so different. We should be aware of the differences, though-- upon further investigation, we might find they're not quite accurate differences.

Viceking's Graab, hoo boy, this was a story that didn't fuck around. I went into it with definite themes in mind, unlike the previous two where I started off as a sixteen-year-old wanting to write cool stuff. Note that, due to the Graab being a work of discovery and surprise, I won't go into detail about every entry.
- The blog (or the website) as the dead: Communication's very nature means that the words we see are like stars in the sky-- photographs of a scene in the past. Every brick making up the houses around us were planted in the past. And every post on this forum was made in the past. They will all be there when their creators are dead, and they will be here when we are dead too. So the internet is just another reminder, to me, of our mortality.
- The blog (or the website) as architectural design: I've always been fascinated by the internet, and as its culture develops and we get used to the patterns, we're gonna have many, many different attempts to represent visually these patterns. There's phrases like "Surfing the web," "A series of tubes," "Echo chamber," "Network," all things that suggest visual or physical equivalent. I've always wanted to find some way to paint the internet in a more physical light, so the idea of making a "tomb" of blogs appealed to me greatly. But anything on the internet will always be abstract analogy. So whatever this would be, it'd have to be seeped in metaphor, kept in an ambiguous flux.
- The blog (or the website) as anatomical design
- Depression as tomb: Sounds simple enough, except I wanted to combine it with the conditions set in the previous entries. It had to be an abstract tomb, a tomb of communication. Note that this wasn't as arbitrary a decision as it sounds-- really, the depression part came before anything else, and in trying to express my depression as accurately as possible, I found myself exploring everything else.
- Story as art exhibit: Something I've taken to doing recently, in my efforts to gain perspective and change the way I look at things, is I'll pick up a book, open to a random page, and simply look at it. I will consciously remind myself that, literally speaking, words do not carry any special qualities. Words are literally just lines and dots. So a book is literally just a.. paper sculpture consisting of a multitude of thin sheets covered in squiggly lines and dots. And from this perspective, books still hold value to me. Looking at a book for its sheer aesthetic merit is a lot of fun. And this dichotomy of Reading/Admiring Aesthetics is fascinating to me! So it became an important one to the Graab too. In some ways a vital one.
- Blog as blogosphere: In simple terms, I didn't want this to just be some blog, I didn't want its entirety to be able to be summarized as a single URL. I've always loved the idea of a blogosphere, like the one our mythos has. I've spent much of these past few years gaining perspective and viewing our mythos in many different ways, and I've always tried so hard to convey some of those other ways of looking at it. The Graab was a chance to do that while also pushing the boundaries of what we were willing to call a "blog story" to begin with. (Plus this theme touches a bit on the motif of microcosms, which I've always loved.)
- Fear Mythos Canon: Ohhhh god. So much fun playing with this one. The word "canon" has referred to many different things in the past. And one of the earliest brainstorms I had for the Graab consisted of "What if our mythos's canon was more along the lines of the Turin Royal Canon?" I eventually came to accept that we do actually have a canon, but it's a metatextual one. We are our mythos's canon. We, the authors.
- Fear of the Unknown: What does it really mean? How do our Fears of the Unknown mesh with each other?
- Cyclic Chronology as Layout
- Authorship: When words are easier than ever to put onto the page, when post-modernist theory has destroyed all meaning and rendered "originality" an obsolete concept, when the internet steadily has its way with the copyright system, what is authorship anymore?
There were even more themes than this. The Fears themselves had to fit into the maze, after all. The maze itself had to function in a very specific way. All of the textual allusions (like the hundreds of Finnegans Wake ones) had to make sense. And the Graab is an Archangard & Magreat blog, which means even more crazy thematic shit. But this list is long enough as it is, so I'll leave it here.

As for themes I'd like to see explored, I don't have any preferences. I'm perfectly happy with anything. I just want people to blog.

EXHIBITS:
Viceking's Graab (Step inside the maze. You could spend an eternity here.)
The Mythology of Empathy (Eight songs, nine tracks. Welcome death.)
Ancestor (Five tracks. Death of the Artist and Chinese mythology.)
Fear (A visual art exhibit in blog format.)
Nobody anymore, never again (Another visual art exhibit in blog format.)
The Everyblogger Triad: 1, 2, 3 (Embrace the bad writing, give into your psyche.)
PLAN 31 (Frank Slenderman: Ace Attorney)
OH GOD THE RAPTURE IS BURNING (400,000 words. Five months. All Fears. Excess. On fifth draft, not final.)
Topography Genera (15 blogs. Conventional horror. See seas rise.)
PM
Omega
 Posted: Sep 30 2015, 01:48 AM

Hero of JUSTICE!

Group: Conspirator
Member No.: 21

I’m not sure if there’s anything I can say that I want other people to go out and explore. Not that I don’t want themes written about or anything, just that I really like seeing what other writers come up with. One of my favorite things about the Mythos is how people write about radically different subjects, even though we’re starting off with the same characters and tools. I’d have never thought I’d be interested in reading so many stories about stuff like mental illnesses until I was introduced to stories focusing on those themes through the Mythos. So as long as people are writing about stuff that resonates with them, I’m happy.

As for my own stuff: Whether intentional or not, some form of societal criticism works its way into my stories. It’ There's the obvious ones, like Burn the Sky with its environmental message and The All Seeing I with its focus on surveillance culture. Even Leviathan had a few environmental messages snuck into it.

Outside of those three obvious ones, my stories generally have some kind of themes relating to the power structures and inequalities in society. Hence why I like writing about the Wooden Girl so much (although oddly enough, I Am Her Slave, my blog focused solely on the Girl, was the only serious story I've made that was inspired entirely from internal emotions rather than societal themes.) My earlier stories just dealt with this just by coding the protagonists as revolutionary and the antagonists as statist. For example, the numerous literary and historical references to anarchists in Mephi, and how the climax of the blog’s first act being a bunch of bikers versus the CIA. Or just being really obvious and having the main antagonist proxy of Smiting the Godsbe a cop.

Eventually I started getting a bit more focused, and threw capitalism into the commentary mix. Although a lot of that was me just not being able to resist throwing some jabs at corporate pyramid structures in Picking at Ruins. Went a little bit into industrial capitalism in The Soulless Empress, although the POV character was too disconnected from the action for most of the story for it to be more than a cursory glance at the topic.

I’d say most of the stronger commentary is stuff I’ve got in the works right now. While in The Soulless Empress may not have done too much, the plans I’ve got for other stories in the setting put class conflict and radical politics in the center spotlight. I’ve got the outline for another experimental style blog which would, like the others, be some kind of commentary. And that Fear Mythos board game I mentioned a while back (which unfortunately is on indefinite hiatus, as the gaming group I’d been testing it out on broke up,) has a few details in it that poke fun at society. Stuff like the Smiling Man and Red Cap gain bonuses from having influence over the media, or the Mother of Snakes being headquartered in the financial district. And I’ve been slowly tweaking an outline for a gothpunk story that uses the Fears as a way to criticize the social and economic trends of my hometown, Austin. Basically can be summed up as “The Fears are somehow all to blame for this city becoming a gentrified yuppie hellhole!”

(I’m not mentioning High School Never Ends or Omega’s Bizarre Adventure because those are less examples of thought out themes, and more me screaming loudly while slamming on a keyboard in the hopes that the end result is legible :P )

PM
TheSomnambulist
 Posted: Sep 30 2015, 02:23 AM

Wordweaver/Neurotic individual

Group: Conspirator (Som)
Member No.: 40

The end result is legible and the end result is also often hilarious.

I'm pretty sure other people would be better at picking out themes in my work then I am... Since almost every theme in my work is unconscious...

Though of the ones that aren't it usually stems from the fact I am above all other things a Fantasy Writer. As a result fantasy themes creep into my work either intentionally or not...

Obviously the straight up good versus evil storyline that pervades the Somniverse series despite almost all the characters protagonist or antagonist being morally grey or Blue and Orange.

Themes of rivalry seem to pop up a lot too and sort of fated encounters... Not so much the romantic kind as the fated enemy kind...

As for Themes I'd like to see more of... I'd like to see more of The Fears as greek gods or Straight up incomprehensible monsters. One or the other.

The Greek God is like my favourite type of god cause just seeing the gods as petty squabbling jerks with awesome powers is just wonderful.

However The unknowable undefinable entity that you can't understand is also awesome and I love that too. So more of both of those.

I'm not crazy I just use a different definition of sanity...

The Forum Blunt Instrument. "Because sometimes the only way to get through to someone is with a sledgehammer."

Archon of Chaos.

Leader of the Cult of Filik.

Amalgam series goes in this order
Prestidigitation>Urban Malefic>The World Through These Eyeholes>Cold and Lonely Days>Metaphysical Fiction and Dawghouse>No Gods No Masters>Unlikely World>Epilogic
>Cresting The Wave

Extra stories that tie into The Somniverse at points and are not linked in the stories.
Sing to me Songs of The darkness>The One and Only
Last Rites
PM
theJOKER
 Posted: Nov 2 2015, 03:35 AM

Has a really nice vest.

Member No.: 363

Actually, some themes I've been toying with ideas for are:
*Not knowing who you are/lack of a sense-of-self. (Related Symbolism: Facelessness(?), veils, masks.)
*Identity in general, or more specifically, having to hide or repress your identity because society (gender identity in particular). (Related Symbolism: Masks up the wazoo).
*Powerlessness, feeling weak, feeling like nothing you do matters. (Related Symbolism: Scarecrows).
*Freedom, and everything that it entails.
*Truth, and everything that entails.
*All of these themes wrapped in a bundle of hatred, anger, obsession, Alice In Wonderland, and Jack.

Basically a bunch of themes I either commonly find myself musing about, or shit I have going that I need to channel into something productive.

"You need people like me so you can point your fuckin' fingers and say, "That's the bad guy." "

I am the world first Moral Absurdist. I noticed that there was not a philosophical term as such, so I coined it. Moral Absurdism: The belief that the concepts of "good" and evil" do not exist, and that morality is a sham, yet deciding to embrace the absurdity of that and hold a moral system anyways. The logical conclusion of nihilism. See also: Absurdism, Existentialism.
PM
Vinyl Asylum
 Posted: Nov 2 2015, 07:51 PM

Corrupted

Member No.: 376

I hope you don't mind me trying to put fears to these...

Lack of identity- Nobody

Fear of who you are- Mother of Snakes

Powerlessness- Well, the Wooden Girl is really the fear of control, so I dunno if she'd fit here... maybe the Architect, but since it's main story is about people fighting against it, I suppose you it might have trouble fitting... probably a chance for a new fear/interpretation, actually.

Freedom- Opposite of the Wooden Girl... I like this idea a lot, actually... the closest I can think of is the Smiling Man, but even he's kinda loose on this.

Truth- Definitely the Black Dog.

I hope you don't mind me having done this...

FEAR MYTHOS BLOGS
-David's Dream Journal
(http://ofnightmaresanddreams.blogspot.com/)
-Calls of the Silent Forsaken
(http://hearthemcallingfromoutside.blogspot.com/)
-Aboard the Dreadnaught (http://inthehallsofdeathsship.blogspot.com/)
SLENDER MAN MYTHOS BLOGS
-Pictures of Nature
(http://imagesfromtheworldaroundus.blogspot.com/)
NONFICTION BLOGS
-Musings
(https://www.tumblr.com/blog/musingsonhorrorandotherstuff)
PM
theJOKER
 Posted: Nov 2 2015, 11:09 PM

Has a really nice vest.

QUOTE (Vinyl Asylum @ Nov 2 2015, 12:51 PM)
I hope you don't mind me trying to put fears to these...

Lack of identity- Nobody

Fear of who you are- Mother of Snakes

Powerlessness- Well, the Wooden Girl is really the fear of control, so I dunno if she'd fit here... maybe the Architect, but since it's main story is about people fighting against it, I suppose you it might have trouble fitting... probably a chance for a new fear/interpretation, actually.

Freedom- Opposite of the Wooden Girl... I like this idea a lot, actually... the closest I can think of is the Smiling Man, but even he's kinda loose on this.

Truth- Definitely the Black Dog.

I hope you don't mind me having done this...

Oh, no, it's fine. Besides, I'm aware of all of these.

It's just that the way I'm doing them didn't fit with the existing fears.

That, and it's less oppression as opposed to repression that I'm doing. Think Facade from Jekyll and Hyde.

And I am sort of creating a newish "fear" for powerlessness, The Scarecrow, though I'm really going for a more metaphorical take on it, to where it exists more in the characters mind than anything. Though, it's sort of a mix between MoS, Wooden Girl, and Edward Hyde.

Lack of Identity I'm going to go down the route of what that would cause a person to do. With the exception of Jack, the protagonists will really be their own antagonists. It's about what they do because of and/or to deal with their issues. Their Fears are mostly products of troubled minds.
Jack may be there to give the characters a little push, but ultimately, the characters are responsible for their own choices.

Though you did miss one, that I will be using: Freedom= (despite him not being a fear) Jack.

"You need people like me so you can point your fuckin' fingers and say, "That's the bad guy." "

I am the world first Moral Absurdist. I noticed that there was not a philosophical term as such, so I coined it. Moral Absurdism: The belief that the concepts of "good" and evil" do not exist, and that morality is a sham, yet deciding to embrace the absurdity of that and hold a moral system anyways. The logical conclusion of nihilism. See also: Absurdism, Existentialism.
PM
Vinyl Asylum
 Posted: Nov 3 2015, 12:08 AM

Corrupted

Member No.: 376

Ah, sorry about missing the last one! These ideas all sound really good; I'm rather excited to see what comes of them!

FEAR MYTHOS BLOGS
-David's Dream Journal
(http://ofnightmaresanddreams.blogspot.com/)
-Calls of the Silent Forsaken
(http://hearthemcallingfromoutside.blogspot.com/)
-Aboard the Dreadnaught (http://inthehallsofdeathsship.blogspot.com/)
SLENDER MAN MYTHOS BLOGS
-Pictures of Nature
(http://imagesfromtheworldaroundus.blogspot.com/)
NONFICTION BLOGS
-Musings
(https://www.tumblr.com/blog/musingsonhorrorandotherstuff)
PM
theJOKER
 Posted: Nov 3 2015, 04:32 PM

Has a really nice vest.

QUOTE (Vinyl Asylum @ Nov 2 2015, 05:08 PM)
Ah, sorry about missing the last one! These ideas all sound really good; I'm rather excited to see what comes of them!

Thanks~
I'm exited to write these, as it basically is the ultimate universe reboot of White Rabbit and Runners Guide.
Only this time, I know where I want the stories to go.

EDIT:
Actually, as I draw out the plot outlines, Freedom is becoming a major theme. Mainly on what freedom means to different people, and what people are willing to do in order to attain it.
Another major theme that is becoming very central to the overarching plot is social norms, and how unwritten rules can end up causing more harm than good.

...If you can't tell, I've been listening to the Jekyll&Hyde soundtrack a lot lately.

PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicCreate New TopicCreate New Poll