Reply to this topicCreate New TopicCreate New Poll

Second shot at Fears pen and paper RPG?
Flashfire07
 Posted: Oct 26 2015, 01:14 PM

Awakened

Group: Members
Member No.: 352

Hey all. A few years ago I attempted to make a tabketop pen and paper rpg about the Fear Mythos. It didn't go very far as I took too long to get it done and ended up abandoning the project. I'm wondering if making a second attempt now I'm older and wiser would be a good idea?
PM
Hexillith
 Posted: Oct 26 2015, 01:52 PM

Bat One
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 397

Ooh. I'd be willing to help.

EDIT: It would also be entirely possible to adapt an existing ruleset to your purposes - I believe GURPS is open source? - rather than starting from scratch.

Unseelie - The place where giants rule

Journal of the days after - Torn from xer awful embrace

Mene, Mene, Tekel, Upharsin - Read it and weep

Our Cyclical Dance - Endlessly in on itself

I'm on Tumblr and DeviantArt.

So look at the fleeting stars with fleeting eyes, and feel how the earth beneath you gives. It is all a temporary manifestation of particles, and it is all unraveling back to particulate silence. The bustle of the human day will come and will go. And then there will be night. -WtNV
PM
Flashfire07
 Posted: Oct 26 2015, 01:57 PM

Awakened

Thanks for the offer of help :) Do you have an aspect in particular you can help out with?
PM
Hexillith
 Posted: Oct 26 2015, 01:59 PM

Bat One
Group Icon

Eh, anything really. Mechanics, monster design, whatever. I'm at least somewhat familiar with Pathfinder, 3.5e, and Hackmaster.

So look at the fleeting stars with fleeting eyes, and feel how the earth beneath you gives. It is all a temporary manifestation of particles, and it is all unraveling back to particulate silence. The bustle of the human day will come and will go. And then there will be night. -WtNV
PM
Flashfire07
 Posted: Oct 26 2015, 02:06 PM

Awakened

Well general assistance is greatly appreciated :) I'm currently planning on having this as a simple percentile based system similar to Unknown Armies in terms of basic function. The intention is to create a system that is quick and easy whike still retaining details for those who need them.
PM
Hexillith
 Posted: Oct 26 2015, 08:13 PM

Bat One
Group Icon

QUOTE (Flashfire07 @ Oct 26 2015, 09:06 AM)
Well general assistance is greatly appreciated :) I'm currently planning on having this as a simple percentile based system similar to Unknown Armies in terms of basic function. The intention is to create a system that is quick and easy whike still retaining details for those who need them.

Cool, I'll familiarize myself with that when I have the time, then.

PM
Flashfire07
 Posted: Oct 27 2015, 09:55 AM

Awakened

Well a quick summary of the basic UA system is that it's percentile based roll under. When in combat the roll determines damage dealt, melee combat adds the tens and digits together (so a 14 would be 5, a 45 would be 9) and then modified by tags (there are three, heavy, sharp and big, each adds +1 damage. So a kitchen knife which is Sharp add +1 to damage whereas your average wood cutting axe would be Big and harp so add +2). Firearms are much simpler than melee weapons. You just use the roll for damage directly (so that 14 would be 14 damage, 45 would be 45 damage). Calibre of firearm applies a damage cap but it's very easy for a single shot to kill you.

Character creation is likewise pretty simple. You allocate a number of points amongst Body, Mind, Speed and Soul. Last time I ran this I used 220 points. These point double as skill points within those categories. So if you put 30 points into Speed you have 30 points to spend on Speed skills. It's a one for one basis and skills are player defined, there are a few skills in t he book each character starts off with at rating 15 at no cost. The rating of a sill is the number you wish to roll under when making a skill roll.

There's more stuff but that's the basic gist of UA. Does that seem like the sort of thing we should aim for here or should we do something more detailed or...?
PM
Hexillith
 Posted: Oct 27 2015, 09:54 PM

Bat One
Group Icon

That sounds good.

PM
YpsiFang
 Posted: Jul 15 2016, 08:47 PM

Innocent

Member No.: 992

I'd be willing to help, but I've only been the GM so I could only really help out with that section.

Also, what Verse will it be set in by default? I assume it'll be like D&D in that there's a default Verse, a few other prebuilt Verses, and options for creating your own. Is that correct, or is it yet to be decided?

The cold awakens.
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicCreate New TopicCreate New Poll