Reply to this topicCreate New TopicCreate New Poll

A Question on Fears
SheaPM
 Posted: Nov 27 2015, 03:54 AM

Innocent

Group: Members
Member No.: 748

To get straight to the point, I'm confused about the fears open-source...ness? I understand that the base fears are open-source, but is that just the base idea or the protrayals. Like, is every protrayal on the wiki open for general use or are only some/none of them. I haven't seen a place in my searching that addresses this, and I'm wondering if it's just general stupidity on my own part?

Thanks in advance! I'll get the handle of all of this eventually. >.>
PM
DJay32
 Posted: Nov 27 2015, 04:07 PM

Sally Death
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 8

That is an excellent question, and one that I can answer! ..to the best of my abilities!

So first of all, the reason this is all confusing is because we didn't really have it all planned out from the start and have just been retroactively attempting to make sense of it all over the years. This probably doesn't help make our mythos look appealing. But in a weird way, I think it makes it irresistible.

Second of all, and more to the point: The vanilla Fears are Creative Commons. This is basically a really confusing way of saying "You can write anything and still be a part of our community." The portrayals themselves are more.. characters than vanilla Fears are (vanilla Fears, of course, are just base concepts). So in theory, portrayals are up to the author to give permission for. But in practice, portrayals are basically vanilla Fears with a lot of toppings thrown on, and it's hard to copyright a topping (like a name, or an outfit, or a power), so-- I'm going around in circles

The simplest answer is "if it's a Fear, write with it if you want." This applies to all portrayals unless explicitly stated otherwise by its author. The default is that a Fear is Creative Commons Attributions 4.0. (Not strictly open source, but close enough.)

Like. A lot of this also depends on what you plan on doing. If you just want to write a blog or draw a picture or make a vlog or write a song, you can literally do whatever you want, no one can stop you. Even if you make money off of it, as long as you give credit that a particular portrayal is from/was based on a specific Fear from a story, you're probably gonna be fine. These are the terms we sign up for, we make our Fears so they can be put into the Creative Commons pool.

EDIT: To further stress the point, the bigger deal is the stories themselves. The stories (or pieces of art, or videos, or what-have-you) are not inherently Creative Commons; they inherently fall under normal copyright laws unless stated otherwise. But a Fear is not a story. It's a flexible concept. And frankly, very few of us are going to stop you or really care if you use our Fears in something you make, so long as at least the mythos is attributed. Even if you take influence from an existing Fear portrayal, even if you were to literally write, say, Aqualung or something into a story, that's not strictly infringing on copyrights. Taking an entire passage from In the Shuffling Madness without credit would be. But Aqualung is not a passage; it is a concept, and a concept that was written for a Creative Commons pool.

Hopefully this makes sense.

EXHIBITS:
Viceking's Graab (Step inside the maze. You could spend an eternity here.)
The Mythology of Empathy (Eight songs, nine tracks. Welcome death.)
Ancestor (Five tracks. Death of the Artist and Chinese mythology.)
Fear (A visual art exhibit in blog format.)
Nobody anymore, never again (Another visual art exhibit in blog format.)
The Everyblogger Triad: 1, 2, 3 (Embrace the bad writing, give into your psyche.)
PLAN 31 (Frank Slenderman: Ace Attorney)
OH GOD THE RAPTURE IS BURNING (400,000 words. Five months. All Fears. Excess. On fifth draft, not final.)
Topography Genera (15 blogs. Conventional horror. See seas rise.)
PM
SheaPM
 Posted: Nov 30 2015, 05:36 AM

Innocent

Group: Members
Member No.: 748

Thank you so much! I've been thinking of writing something set in the mythos and was super worried about making someone mad haha! Glad to hear this.
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicCreate New TopicCreate New Poll