Pages: (6) « First ... 4 5 6  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicCreate New TopicCreate New Poll

The Fossils, Or "THE BLOG HAS LAUNCHED, NOW WHAT?"
alliterator
 Posted: Dec 2 2012, 04:00 PM

The Jerkface Man
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 7

I'm not sure what you're intending here. If it's a blog, I feel like a blog might blow the whole "It's a conspiracy" cover. Then again, a blog's fine as long as the protagonists don't even catch a hint of it until later on.

In that case, I like it! Though "Taxon-Genre" sounds a bit obvious.

It's not a blog, more just something I wrote to parallel to Topography Genera-type speech. So the protagonist of a blog might hear "Welcome to familiar territory" and wouldn't know what it meant until later.

Yeah, I chose Taxon-Genre because I just wanted something with the same initials as Topography Genera. Feel free to change it if you want.

Faces, Strange and Secret: An Anthology of Stories from da Fears Mythos: on sale from Amazon, Kindle, and Smashwords

My Finished Stories.

My Ongoing Stories:
Channel Fear (informational, educational, cynical)
The Supernatural Anaesthetist (seeing where science takes us)
Once There Was (the king is the kingdom)
An Old Man's Winter Night (at the winter of the world)
Unwashed and Somewhat Slightly Dazed (working for the man)
The Secret History of the World (unstuck in time)
Notes from the Underground (a place to stay)
Phantasmagorical (a bedtime story)
Paranoia: A Manifesto (wrecking the wall)
The Day The Music Died (running from sound and sorrow)
Abraham's Men (knights, ghosts, and shadows)
Pest Control (pulling the wings off of flies)
PM
alliterator
 Posted: Dec 4 2012, 05:27 AM

The Jerkface Man
Group Icon

I present: Secret Mysteries.

I'm taking inspiration from the awesome short story Death and the Compass. For one thing, the antagonist is a criminal called "Red Scharlach." That is a big hint that the antagonist of this blog is the Red Cap - although I'm going to put in a lot more red herrings.

And as I was thinking about setting the blog on the train, I suddenly realized that "Follow the straight line" would make perfect sense used in that way - the train would be going straight and so the investigation would be following that pattern. However, the "straight line" the detective will follow will be the wrong one.

Faces, Strange and Secret: An Anthology of Stories from da Fears Mythos: on sale from Amazon, Kindle, and Smashwords

My Finished Stories.

My Ongoing Stories:
PM
DJay32
 Posted: Dec 4 2012, 05:46 AM

Sally Death
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 8

I am so freaking excited and I love your ideas and I can't wait to see where you take things.

EXHIBITS:
Viceking's Graab (Step inside the maze. You could spend an eternity here.)
The Mythology of Empathy (Eight songs, nine tracks. Welcome death.)
Ancestor (Five tracks. Death of the Artist and Chinese mythology.)
Fear (A visual art exhibit in blog format.)
Nobody anymore, never again (Another visual art exhibit in blog format.)
The Everyblogger Triad: 1, 2, 3 (Embrace the bad writing, give into your psyche.)
PLAN 31 (Frank Slenderman: Ace Attorney)
OH GOD THE RAPTURE IS BURNING (400,000 words. Five months. All Fears. Excess. On fifth draft, not final.)
Topography Genera (15 blogs. Conventional horror. See seas rise.)
PM
alliterator
 Posted: Dec 5 2012, 05:10 AM

The Jerkface Man
Group Icon

Okay, read this.

Don't panic! Spoilers:

Spoiler: (highlight to see)

Doctor Cloud isn't dead. I mean, I still have about two acts left with him, so he can't be. The dead man has his briefcase, though, and we will find out why.

My Finished Stories.

My Ongoing Stories:
PM
alliterator
 Posted: Dec 15 2012, 05:06 AM

The Jerkface Man
Group Icon

So I introduced FT-SATI - I realized that SYZYGY was quite hard to type and remember (yeah, I'm lazy), so I searched around and found Sati, the Indian practice of widows burning themselves on their husband's pyres, named after the goddess Sati who did the same. I thought that was a good indication of the Brute/Burning Bride, since it had the "fire" motif and the "husband/wife" motif, too.

My Finished Stories.

My Ongoing Stories:
PM
DJay32
 Posted: Jun 7 2013, 10:33 PM

Sally Death
Group Icon

A QUESTION FOR YOU, ALLITERATOR.

Your Anthology illustrations were really good, and I'm starting to love your art style. Dooooo you think you might be up for coming up with a couple illustrations in the same vein but for Fossils? They wouldn't have to be as fancy as Cadet's FT-HADES was; I had told her I just wanted a sketch but she went the extra mile. Your Fear illustrations were.. pretty much exactly what I had in mind.

Of course, I'd help however I can with coming up with what the Fossils would look like (like how FT-RED DEATH looked pretty different from vanilla Plague Doctor). But for now I just want to know if you'd be up for doing this at all. If you do, I'll provide a list of Fossils along with what we've already come up with in terms of their appearances.

EXHIBITS:
The Everyblogger Triad: 1, 2, 3 (Embrace the bad writing, give into your psyche.)
OH GOD THE RAPTURE IS BURNING (400,000 words. Five months. All Fears. Excess. On fifth draft, not final.)
PM
alliterator
 Posted: Jun 7 2013, 10:41 PM

The Jerkface Man
Group Icon

Sure, I'll give it a try.

Some of them did come out better than expected (like I knew I could never draw the Mother of Snakes, so I just drew a snake and that turned out really well).

My Finished Stories.

My Ongoing Stories:
PM
DJay32
 Posted: Jun 7 2013, 11:19 PM

Sally Death
Group Icon

OKAY LET'S DO THIS

Fossil-Type BIRCHMAN (Slender Man)
You know what the Birchman looks like. I don't think the Genera interpretation will be much different from vanilla, though if you want to take any liberties with a sketch, I won't argue.

Fossil-Type HOMUNCULI (Manufactured Newborn)
Now this is a toughie, as it depends on what the Genera would actually include in a public document. I have a tendency to forget what we actually decided on for this. Personally, I like the idea of drawing the Tower, unless you want to draw some Towerborn or something. Whenever I write the Newborn, I tend to write it more based on the luring mystery of the Tower and what it could possibly be and all the lore that's spread about it and how to get to it. But that's just me.

Fossil-Type TINDALOS (The Black Dog)
Just drawing the Black Dog would suffice, though going over the Fossil document we posted suggests maybe you might want to consider experimenting and trying to make the Dog look like an omen. Like, sitting, staring at the "camera," not growling or anything whatsoever.

Fossil-Type SMILE (The Rake)
Rake can be vanilla.

Fossil-Type OVER THERE (The Empty City)
Over there, I'd suggest maybe going for the traditional Door appearance, through which can be seen some semblance of a modern city.

Fossil-Type RED DEATH (The Plague Doctor)
Already drawn.

Fossil-Type PASSACAGLIA (The Choir)
The mold interpretation applies best; we want the viewer to be able to visualize it when Passacaglia's used as an adhesive.

Fossil-Type ICEFALL (The Cold Boy)
As per Tale of the Lost Vikings, icefall is a vaguely-regal freak of nature that freezes everything around it. I have said before that the actual little boy interpretation can be used, and if you want to you can draw that. But try to put a focus on the cold, if that's possible, rather than the character?

Fossil-Type LARKS (The Convocation)
Pretty much vanilla. Though I'd may as well throw in that the Larks are used in the story more as the backdrop for scenes; I'm thinking they're able to, like The Morphs of Rapture, change landscape, though the Larks would only do so to complement a Fossil and make them look more majestic. OOH HOW'S THIS FOR AN IDEA: Click this. And then click this. That's the front and back covers of Genesis' Wind & Wuthering, and I suddenly got an idea from it: Draw the Larks from a distance, a large flock nested somewhere, maybe even on a tree (having this parallel album art would work so well since the Larks are Camper).

Fossil-Type HADES (The Archangel)
Already drawn.

Fossil-Type CREMATOR (The Blind Man)
Tall big man (seven feet, according to the Lost Viking) wearing an old military coat ("WWII" was how Lost Viking described it). I personally picture him as being bald, no facial hair. Intimidating. And sunglasses, of course.
This obviously won't be shown on the blog until Liquid Len uncovers it/decides to make his own Fossil page for it or whatever it is he'll do.

Fossil-Type SELKIE (The Wooden Girl)
From Tale of the Lost Vikings:

"Call me Mistress Selkie. It has a certain je ne sais quois to it, don't you agree?" Her feet were the first I saw, curling concavely in their wooden soles, rising with grandeur in their natural heels. In her presence, I felt compelled to gaze downwards, a symbol of my subordination. But she allowed my eyes to wander, if only so I could take in the rest of her beauty.
"Welcome to Oper. As I said, my palace is your casa. In this case, my city is your palace. What do you think?" Her dress had been crafted with the fresh skin of a thousand trees. Its barked contours gave impressions of a morning countryside, drawing me into my devotion, sending me into my ease.
"I think you'll find yourself right at home here, lovely. The people greet each other with a keen how-do-you-do, the bread is fresh from the bakery, the grapes fresh from the vine. A golden prospect for a golden era, must we move on?" Her curves looked carefully crafted by the intelligent design of eight thousand years' erosion and progression. The perfection of the female body paled in comparison to her rapturous anatomical equations.
"No gods exist here but me, not anymore, and even I have become something more than some mere god. I am a goddess. And I will forever protect my citizens from any two-bit Fossil they desire safety from. Wouldn't you like that?" My eyes now rested on her hands, small things in a fragile white. Unbendable china formed her skin, bending as naturally as rubber in the context of her figure's narrative. Her fingers curled in a mark of gentle consideration, and I immediately felt at home.
"All I ask in return is obedience-- no, not even that, your cooperation! You will be perfect, you will be my lover, and I will give you everything. All I want is your.. assistance. Your.. citizenship. Simple enough for you? Please give in." But overshadowing all her perfection was the mythology her face suggested. The pale china skin served as a foil for her dark features' reign over my senses. Black hair sprawling as carefully and intentionally as the majestic Oper behind me, I felt beckoned to silence. Blue eyes hinting at her brilliance over my own inevitable conquering. Her cheeks were round, but her face felt long enough to contrast their brevity.
Selkie was no mere china doll but mistress of all puppets and effigies alike, and nowhere did this become as apparent as it did in the form of her lips. One would assume a creature (but is it right to taint her flawless mythology with such a word as "creature?" She is no mere creature; Selkie is a being) made of marble would not be able to bend her features, but Selkie has rein over all facets of matter and can open her mouth as effortlessly as a skilled artist may form origami.

Feel free to draw as little or as much as you want. A bust would probably be most convenient (that is, head and shoulders).

Fossil-Type LOTOPHAGI/LOTUS (The Grotesque)
Hooooo boy, what would this be. In Duchess's dreams, I use fire motifs to hint at Lotophagi's presence. As for the actual appearance of the entity that is trying to escape from Duchess's head, that... can be entirely up to you?
I mean, thinking practically about this from a dramatic standpoint, this Fossil page wouldn't be shown until probably after Duchess enters over there, so by this point Lotophagi will already have failed so we could arguably show what the Fossil would have looked like had it escaped. And I'm thinking of that but minimalist: Draw a face. Maybe with fire in there somewhere if you really want. I mean, picture that: You're reading a story where a thing's trying to escape from someone's head, and then after it already fails you finally get to see what it would have been and you just see a creepy face.

Fossil-Type LAZARUS (The Dying Man)
As Lazarus's vessels will be corrupted to look like one single being before death (leaving a trail of identical corpses), the appearance here is important. And I'm thinking it'd look like Dionysus but older and grittier, so of course what in the world does Dionysus look like? One idea would be to pull from Rush's "Hemispheres," where I got the Dionysus-Apollo story in the first place, in which case he's the naked man on the right (WHICH MEANS THE MAN ON THE LEFT REPRESENTS EAT <3).
But okay let me try actually doing work for once. Dionysus was an emotional god even in Genera mythology (which works since The Dying Man tends to play on emotional motifs), and Lazarus is merely Dionysus trying to return with a vengeance. So... really, you could draw anything as long as it's a man who clearly has a vengeance, maybe a scornful look. Maybe with a missing eye or some gruesome feature, since this is effectively a rising corpse.

Fossil-Type CRAWLERS (The Intrusion)
Crawlers are Camper too so you can either just draw insects of some sort or we can pull from prog art to hint at the EAT involvement. However, I don't know much in terms of prog art with bugs on it, but I do at least know Dream Theater's Systematic Chaos, which I always thought had striking art. ..really not sure how to translate that into a simple minimalist sketch, though. But I'm leaving all this stuff here as food for thought.

Fossil-Type MONOCHROME (The Nightlanders)
Lost Viking says the Fossils refer to this one as "Mister Monochrome," as if there's a single entity that simply can give the illusion of any number of shadows (so a shadow shapeshifter). ...just draw a shadow however you want, really.

Fossil-Type SHALOTT (The Mother of Snakes)
To pull from the Lost Viking again,
Next to me was she who had ordered my rescue in the first place: A slim figure in royal garb, colorful pattern painted on her face making her resemble a cobra. She existed only in a mirror, which was placed on the chair next to me by women of various eastern outfits.

You wouldn't actually have to draw the mirror itself. BUT ON THE OTHER HAND if you can't draw the character then feel free to just draw a mirror! o:

Fossil-Type AD A DGLGMUT (Artificial)
I like the idea of Dglgmut getting a Fossil page when we get to that point, though its appearance would be some kind of mechanical amalgamation of things to make a vessel for the Homunculi, so what you would be drawing here is the Manufactured Newborn. Held together by The Choir. BUT THIS WILL TAKE A VERY LONG TIME TO GET TO IN THE STORY so feel free to skip this.

Fossil-Type EVOLUTIONARY ADVERSE TRIGGER
I also like the idea of EAT getting a Fossil page, or rather EAT already having a Fossil page that the higher-ups merely took down and Liquid Len will find later in his investigations.
Now, what a sketch of EAT would look like, especially the Topography Genera interpretation, now that's a question.
So tell you what.
Skip this one for now. We can brainstorm ideas. I already have an idea of there actually being multiple sketches (oh and there's also that old idea you had of a notebook filled with sketches that all try to draw EAT's true appearance!).

So there!
A nice list for you.
Feel free to take liberties if necessary and also feel free to ask questions.
And if there's any you really can't draw, I can get other artists. I keep meaning to do that but I forget a lot but now I'm starting to get hooked on this story again so my motivation should be back.

EXHIBITS:
PM
DJay32
 Posted: Oct 26 2013, 12:29 AM

Sally Death
Group Icon

Wow, we haven't touched Topography Genera in quite some time, have we? The next thing on the list, whichever way we try to cut it, is a video. I have Phobos recruited to try and get some footage for the Duchess video, and I've got R'N'D Media on-board for helping me with Otso: Genus Unknown, so progress is definitely being made. (I'll be focusing my efforts over the next few months on an unrelated project for R'N'D Media, which I'm co-writing and co-directing and trying to work into the Fear Mythos. I think you might maybe enjoy it. I mean, if you happen to like Doctor Who at all, you might. But when we've gotten this out of the way, we can focus our efforts on Otso.)

BUT THE REASON I AM POSTING IN THIS PARTICULAR THREAD is because Dr0Shadow on the Wiki suggested a pretty good name if we decide to incorporate The Vision in this: FT-MOIRAI. They seem like the Greeks' own personification of destiny, which is appropriate.

..how are you doing, anyway? I don't think I've seen much from you lately in general.

EXHIBITS:
PM
alliterator
 Posted: Oct 26 2013, 03:11 AM

The Jerkface Man
Group Icon

Yeah, sorry, got hit with a bit of writer's block. I've been trying to write some creepypasta to fix that, but that isn't going well either. (You can see my attempts in the various Fear threads - I've got three done out of twenty-six.)

I'll try to draw some of those Fossils up there this weekend. Perhaps even outline the last two acts of The Supernatural Anaesthetist.

My Finished Stories.

My Ongoing Stories:
PM
DJay32
 Posted: Nov 10 2013, 02:05 PM

Sally Death
Group Icon

I'm thinking of making the Topography Genera Center un-open source. Beyond cameos. Like, it can appear in other people's stories, but it has to stick to the layout we write if it appears. And for the love of fuck, if one more person extrapolates a Fossil designation that doesn't exist and claims it's official, I will hurt someone.

Maybe I've been hanging around the Wiki too much.
Maybe I'm just getting a little sick of people.

Either way, I'm putting this idea here first to see if maybe you have some input.

EXHIBITS:
PM
alliterator
 Posted: Nov 10 2013, 06:34 PM

The Jerkface Man
Group Icon

I think having cameos is good, but beyond that, yeah. Stick with what has been done.

My Finished Stories.

My Ongoing Stories:
PM
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (6) « First ... 4 5 6  Reply to this topicCreate New TopicCreate New Poll