Pages: (5) 1 2 3 4 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicCreate New TopicCreate New Poll

Mental Health and your Fear Blog, or shit you need to watch out for
pullingoffmasks
 Posted: Sep 26 2012, 08:06 AM

Pugalistic student

Group: Conspirator (II)
Member No.: 122

QUOTE (Collen @ Sep 26 2012, 02:26 AM)
That's terrible. How were/are they allowed to do that?

Because nobody ever likes to listen to those of us who actually experience the disorder. Same could go for ANY mental disorder, especially the ones that sufficiently fuck up your ability to communicate with allistic/NT folks...but at the moment autism is the big bug bear in the closet.

One of the other big issues with Autism $peaks is their use of scare stats to press gang parents into getting their little dears checked. You're likely familiar with the '1 in 88 autism epidemic'?

Yeah. That's A$ work.

Mental disorders cannot be epidemics, as well, you can't catch a mental disorder from standing too close to someone who has it.

They also have absolutely no autistic representation on their board of directors, which seems kinda funky, given it's an organization that's supposed to 'listen to people with autism.' (If it's a handwave thought, think of it this way. If a organization that dealt with LGBT*Q topics was staffed exclusively by cisgendered straight folks, there would be MAJOR issues and debate.)

If you run into any A$ fundraisers (such as Walmart, any of the 'Light it up Blue' campaigns, Build-a-Bear, etc), I suggest not giving money.

The Autistic Self Advocacy Network (ASAN) is much better, actually has due representation, listens to autistics, and was actually founded by a person on the Spectrum. (Also, the Loud Hands Project is fantastic)

(Also, Wrong Planet went the way of Aspie supremacy a while back according to a lot of the folks on #actuallyautistic.)

Tea Time with the Traitor Masks and sewers and trains, OH MY!
525,600 minutes of absolute bullshit and bastardry James appears to be a bit busy with life, blogging shall resume shortly
~+~+~+~+~+~
Mental Health and Your Fear Blog A very brief primer to things to consider when writing a character that is 'going crazy'
~+~+~+~+~+~
Want to find out why my blogs are so slow to update, or real life the blog?
~+~+~+~+~+~
Finished blogs
Pulling off Masks ...but with a whimper...
PM
proxiehunter
 Posted: Sep 26 2012, 04:17 PM

Favored Servant
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 22

QUOTE (pullingoffmasks @ Sep 26 2012, 03:06 AM)
They also have absolutely no autistic representation on their board of directors, which seems kinda funky, given it's an organization that's supposed to 'listen to people with autism.' (If it's a handwave thought, think of it this way. If a organization that dealt with LGBT*Q topics was staffed exclusively by cisgendered straight folks, there would be MAJOR issues and debate.)

Unless they dropped him they did pick up a single member on the spectrum a while back. Still grossly under represented though. Edit: I was mistaken. John Elder Robison is on their Scientific Advisory board not their board of directors.

(Also, Wrong Planet went the way of Aspie supremacy a while back according to a lot of the folks on #actuallyautistic.)

Not sure how far back that was, I think it's been a year or two since I had any real presence there and while some Aspie supremacists were present they didn't seem to be dominating the place when I was there.
PM
pullingoffmasks
 Posted: Sep 26 2012, 04:37 PM

Pugalistic student

Part IV- Things I forgot to put in originally, and don't want to stretch the posts I've made any further

More fun language

You'll note I've being using a comment of 'abelist' or 'abelism' when talking about derogatory language and actions.

It's a term with pretty much the same weight as racism, but unlike racism, which is the act/actions/language referring to discrimination of skin tone and culture...abelism is act/actions/language referring to discrimination of mental health status, physical ability, and often times any deviation from stated physical-mental norm.

Retard is abelist language. It is a slur which still carries a lot of heavy nasty weight to it. Don't use it in casual language when you think something is mind-numbingly stupid. There are LOTS of other words you can use.
(It's also a good marker on age and education level of the character who is speaking/narrating)

Crazy is abelist language.

Psycho/psychopath is abelist language (see below as to why)

Use of insanity/sanity outside of the situation of the courts can be considered abelist language.

On that note, I think it's best we discuss:

Psychosis/psychotic, psychopathy, sociopathy, and anti-social personality disorder.

Know the difference.

Anti social personality disorder is defined by the DSM-IV-TR as "...a pervasive pattern of disregard for, and violation of, the rights of others that begins in childhood or early adolescence and continues into adulthood."

It's is an Axis Two disorder (personality disorder).

It is not a lack of emotion, more a lack of a realization that 'others' are valid humans in their own right.

It is colloquially (and incorrectly) referred to as sociopathy (not a valid condition, but a personality type) or psychopathy (old, out of date language, also considered abelist).

Not all people with anti social personality disorder are crime committing mass murderers, but there is enough correlation that the public view of the disorder is incredibly negative.

Psychosis is defined, rather unhelpfully, as a 'lack of connect with reality.'
A person experiencing psychosis can said to be psychotic.
Any other use of psychotic is not good.

A psychotic break can include hallucinations, delusions, catatonia (a more motor related movement/lack of movement/bizarre movement), and thought disorder (word-salad being a good example of this).

It is part and parcel of schizophrenia, but can occur just by itself, or in conjunction with manic-depression/bipolar disorder.

Clinical Language

Not going to go into it too much here, as it's hellishly complicated.

BUT! Comorbidity!

Mental health is 'fun.' Rarely do you see one disorder come along by itself, as often times you get a knock on effect of one thing leading to another.

Any coexisting conditions that rest alongside any bigger diagnoses are called comorbid.

Very common comorbid mental health conditions include:
~ Any ASD with anxiety and depression
~ Epilepsy with anxiety
~ Schizophrenia with depersonalization disorder, anxiety, and depression
~ Antisocial personality disorder with depersonalization disorder

Essentially, if ability to function 'normally' within society is changed/limited/damaged, you will commonly see anxiety and depression hop along for a ride.

525,600 minutes of absolute bullshit and bastardry James appears to be a bit busy with life, blogging shall resume shortly
~+~+~+~+~+~
Mental Health and Your Fear Blog A very brief primer to things to consider when writing a character that is 'going crazy'
~+~+~+~+~+~
~+~+~+~+~+~
Finished blogs
PM
pullingoffmasks
 Posted: Sep 26 2012, 04:39 PM

Pugalistic student

QUOTE (proxiehunter @ Sep 26 2012, 05:17 PM)
Not sure how far back that was, I think it's been a year or two since I had any real presence there and while some Aspie supremacists were present they didn't seem to be dominating the place when I was there.

Talking with in the past year or so. I've not been too involved with the community outside of Tumblr due to various reasons (mostly because there's that nasty stereotype that women aren't autistic...and yeah. Tumblr's got some really good female voices as part of their mainstream)

~+~+~+~+~+~
~+~+~+~+~+~
~+~+~+~+~+~
Finished blogs
PM
proxiehunter
 Posted: Sep 26 2012, 05:01 PM

Favored Servant
Group Icon

QUOTE (pullingoffmasks @ Sep 26 2012, 11:39 AM)

Talking with in the past year or so. I've not been too involved with the community outside of Tumblr due to various reasons (mostly because there's that nasty stereotype that women aren't autistic...and yeah. Tumblr's got some really good female voices as part of their mainstream)

Back before the supremacist take over that I missed by obsessing over other things too much to participate on their forums wrong planet was good at countering that stereotype as well. But yeah I'm aware of the stereotype - as well as the stereotype that people with autism only come in one skin tone.

Edit: Or a personal favorite, people who think only children can be autistic.
PM
Collen
 Posted: Sep 26 2012, 05:07 PM

beep boop

Group: Conspirator
Member No.: 117

I think I've seen those stereotypes before. In every book I've read with an autistic person in it, they're a white, male savant child. I sorta cringe when reading about those characters.

Blogs in Progress:
Dreamless Darkness: Gotta face the strange.

Finished Blogs:
Misery Always Knows: Deal, or no deal?

Creepypastas:
"Whispers of Mutiny" // "Repeat After Me" // "Cold Oblivion" // "A Feast For Crows"

Assume anything not here is on hiatus.
PM
pullingoffmasks
 Posted: Sep 26 2012, 05:14 PM

Pugalistic student

Yeah.

...PoC, queer, trans*, female, LGB, etc folks can be autistic...

~+~+~+~+~+~
~+~+~+~+~+~
~+~+~+~+~+~
Finished blogs
PM
needlessnoise
 Posted: Sep 30 2012, 11:09 AM

I Make Noise

Group: Members
Member No.: 202

This thread is my favorite already.

This seems to talk mostly about autism, which is not something I've personally dealt with, but I do know something about mental disorders.

I have dealt with depression, anxiety, and suicide a lot, and I've made many friends with similar experiences. Because of these circles of people who have these problems, I've become pretty familiar with depression, bipolar disorder, anxiety, suicide, eating disorders and so on. Things like that, particularly depression, are things that unintentionally recur in my writing, often in characters I base on myself.
PM
pullingoffmasks
 Posted: Sep 30 2012, 10:34 PM

Pugalistic student

QUOTE (needlessnoise @ Sep 30 2012, 12:09 PM)
This thread is my favorite already.
This seems to talk mostly about autism, which is not something I've personally dealt with, but I do know something about mental disorders..

OP bias present and accounted for there.

And yeah, lots of the stuff I've pointed out, currently is by what I know personally or by friends of mine.

Which reminds me that I need to get the PTSD post up soonish. Likely alongside epilepsy/larger seizure disorders....as I know it's a tempting thing to play with given seizures can have multivariant origin.

~+~+~+~+~+~
~+~+~+~+~+~
~+~+~+~+~+~
Finished blogs
PM
RedRockingHood
 Posted: Sep 30 2012, 10:39 PM

White Knight Wearing Red
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 51

Rather than post anything lengthy on here...if anyone has any questions relating to DID, feel free to PM me.

A good chunk of you guys know that I've got it, so - hey, why not make myself a resource.

I can't claim to be knowledgeable about much else, beyond my own research.

Incomplete/ongoing projects:
All There Is To Life - the mundane musings of a housewife (collab with GraciousVictory).
Darker Side of Sympathy; it's almost like understanding.
The World is Crazy... We're not the crazy ones (multiple author collab).

Completed projects:
City of Sinopia - join the Scarlet-Marked.
No Cowards - stand and be brave.
Over the River, and through the woods.
Residency; mind over matter.
This Could Be Heaven or this could be hell.
Within the Game Master's Universe: Blair H, Alice Baxendale, and Marcus Finn.

Other Mythos-related projects (non-blogs):
Be Careful. You only get three.
Virtually Reality. Would you like to quit the game?
Virtually Reality 2: New Game Plus. Would you like to continue the game? (Collab with GraciousVictory.)
Creepypasta: 'The Cage', "The Suicide Note of an Anonymous Mother', and 'The Shrouded One'.
PM
proxiehunter
 Posted: Sep 30 2012, 10:48 PM

Favored Servant
Group Icon

QUOTE (RedRockingHood @ Sep 30 2012, 05:39 PM)
Rather than post anything lengthy on here...if anyone has any questions relating to DID, feel free to PM me.

I understand part of the "fun" with that is the numerous people who don't believe it exists. Including trained mental health professionals.
PM
proxiehunter
 Posted: Sep 30 2012, 10:51 PM

Favored Servant
Group Icon

QUOTE (pullingoffmasks @ Sep 30 2012, 05:34 PM)
OP bias present and accounted for there.

Also a surprising number of board members with some form of spectrum disorder.
PM
RedRockingHood
 Posted: Sep 30 2012, 10:52 PM

White Knight Wearing Red
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 51

QUOTE (proxiehunter @ Sep 30 2012, 06:48 PM)

I understand part of the "fun" with that is the numerous people who don't believe it exists. Including trained mental health professionals.

Yeah, anyone with DID can prepare for a lot of eye-rolling and people assuming they're seeking attention.

I'm guilty of this, myself, since I've met a large share of people who tell me all about their DID...and proceed to describe symptoms which are consistent with Hollywood's version of schizophrenia.

Incomplete/ongoing projects:
All There Is To Life - the mundane musings of a housewife (collab with GraciousVictory).
Darker Side of Sympathy; it's almost like understanding.
The World is Crazy... We're not the crazy ones (multiple author collab).

Completed projects:
City of Sinopia - join the Scarlet-Marked.
No Cowards - stand and be brave.
Over the River, and through the woods.
Residency; mind over matter.
This Could Be Heaven or this could be hell.
Within the Game Master's Universe: Blair H, Alice Baxendale, and Marcus Finn.

Other Mythos-related projects (non-blogs):
Be Careful. You only get three.
Virtually Reality. Would you like to quit the game?
Virtually Reality 2: New Game Plus. Would you like to continue the game? (Collab with GraciousVictory.)
Creepypasta: 'The Cage', "The Suicide Note of an Anonymous Mother', and 'The Shrouded One'.
PM
pullingoffmasks
 Posted: Oct 4 2012, 10:34 PM

Pugalistic student

How's this for voicing in regards to how it sometimes feels?

And they say that depersonalization is an issue that's a clinical condition, when anyone who's neurodiverse often times gets depersonalized by absolutely normal people.

...Which kinda stinks...

~+~+~+~+~+~
~+~+~+~+~+~
~+~+~+~+~+~
Finished blogs
PM
pullingoffmasks
 Posted: Jan 6 2013, 10:39 PM

Pugalistic student

After much delay, and I forget which number segment this is- PTSD and your character
(Note, I'm lumping PTSD (which is severe) alongside it's less severe cousin post-traumatic stress)

First things first, what is PTSD?

PTSD, also known as shell shock, stands for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. It's an anxiety based condition, meaning it sits upon Axis 2.

DSM-IV-TR defines the criteria for PTSD as such:

~One has to have been exposed to a traumatic event. Note here that the definition of trauma has to fulfil the following: It has to have caused risk of serious injury/death to yourself/others (which you observed or were participant in).
I would like to make the comment here that there are those who would make the comment that bullying and emotional abuse can invoke the stress response that leads to PTSD...but on a whole, that is classed as post traumatic stress, rather than full blown PTSD by shrinks.

~ "Persistent re-experiencing," or in our lay terms "flashbacks." Note flashbacks can take the guise of what Hollywood presents them as, re experiencing 'in dreams,' or any moment which evokes a negative reaction.

~ Avoidance and numbing. You don't talk about it, because it leads to you being triggered, suppression of memories, bizarre affect, etc. This aspect is what can bring a dependency to alcohol or drugs into the overall picture. (Because alcohol is a depressant and, for most people, a damned good soporific)

~ Persistent arousal not present before occurrence of PTSD. No, not that sort of arousal, but mood. Hyper vigilance, paranoia, etc.

~ Symptoms above HAVE to have been present for a period longer than 30 days. If not, no luck, you've got another mental health issue...which can migrate into PTSD territory if it continues.

(And like always, it must form a serious malfunction with a person's ability to interact with society.)

As for treatment: talk therapy to combat the interpersonal aspects and antidepressants/SSRIs to combat the somatic symptoms.

At this point, I will make comment.

Triggers and flashbacks.

Triggers are items/instances/phrases which can induce a flashback.

So, let's take an example of a fairly nasty car crash. In that situation you've got several potential triggers: cars (and this can just be general, or down to a specific model), specific seating in car, fire, smell of petrol, sound of breaking glass, enclosed spaces, blood, etc.

Not all flashbacks are like Hollywood portrays them as.
For every person with PTSD out there who will re-experience and re-enact the scene of most stress, there are just as many who will 'shut down' (a bit like a silent meltdown to those of you familiar with ASD topics), there are just as many people who will just "BLOW UP," or will sit and have a panic attack.

(For those of you who have never had a panic attack. Gods. The most terrifying thing in the world is to be there, thinking the world is going to end, with no due recompense...and the world is too bright, too loud, your skin feels wrong, you can't breathe, your heart is hammering, you feel nauseous, etc)

So, car crash, with a trigger of the smell of petrol. Hypothetical person is filling their car up, and a bit of gas leaks. They are triggered by that and experience a flashback.

PTSD/Acute Stress Disorder/Post Traumatic Stress are all comorbid with:

Depression, ocassionally mania, and alcohol/drug dependency.

~+~+~+~+~+~
~+~+~+~+~+~
~+~+~+~+~+~
Finished blogs
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (5) 1 2 3 4 ... Last » Reply to this topicCreate New TopicCreate New Poll