Reply to this topicCreate New TopicCreate New Poll

ARG Rules *PLEASE READ*, Death System, Fear Marking
DJay32
 Posted: Feb 24 2014, 11:33 PM

Sally Death
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 8

Welcome, players, to Nine is God. I will be your guide-- or at least one of them, the infallible Eshu-- in this mystical journey through the confines of the Fear Mythos and beyond.

You've already found your way through the first two legs of the first movement, titled Viewer Discretion Advised. You've maneuvered through the curious museum of Adesina, and you've passed the first Gate of Godwin. But you will find many more trials coming your way. The question is, of course, what these trials and games and puzzles are all for. What is the point of a great Game such as this in a world where everything has consequences?

Your next step, as you should well be aware by now, is to look into the mysterious actions of the IBCC, but where should you focus your efforts? And are you sure you're aware of all your options? Oh, I shouldn't overwhelm you with opportunities. After all, that SMSC lead looks pretty good.

But again, what is this all building to? And who are these figures lurking in the background?

Oh... I really should mention. I really should, it would be dishonest of me not to.

Those figures are, unsurprisingly, those that you call Fears. The troubling part is that they are watching you now. Couldn't you tell from your oracle's dream? It's probably nothing. Probably. But I should brief you on the precautions, either way.

The Death System

Due to the complicated and sensitive nature of Nine is God, we cannot take any chances. If we think you have compromised something, you will be "killed," which means you can read this Nine is God board but you cannot post in it.

Of course, no one ever said that dead men tell no tales. Just as the dead in this universe are rendered shadows of their former selves, so you will be too. We will not stop you from talking to each other via PMs or Skype or any other chat system, though I will probably lock any threads trying to bypass the rules on this forum.

Now that that's out of the way, let me cover the more pressing issue.

The Fear Mechanics

The Fears are watching you, and if they should want, they will Mark you. If you are Marked, you will die eventually. I will not tell you when, for how could I know? I can't see into the future. ;D

If I suspect one of you is being targeted by a Fear, I will send you a PM about it. This PM will be titled ARG: MARKED, nothing further, and it shall be from DJay32. That is how you will know it's serious.

In your PM, I cannot tell you what Fear has Marked you, for that would be too dangerous, that would let the Fears know that we know. Instead, I will give you a riddle. The riddle might be really easy, or it might not. But the thing is, you are not meant to know what Fear is after you. Instead, you will have to let your peers know somehow.

If you say you are Marked, you will be killed. If you share your riddle, you will be killed. You will have to take your riddle and play a twisted game of charades with it, modifying your behaviour. Get "in character," so to speak.

Let me give an example: The Visitor is currently Marked by Kanteletar, which some of you may know as The Choir. He's not playing this Game, and The Choir will not Mark any of you, but here is what his riddle might read:

"Say whatever you want. Say whatever you want. The others will never know, only you know the solutions to these puzzles, so just go out and say whatever you want, everything you say will be correct, even the most outlandish of theories!"

So The Visitor might reply to a puzzle with a very very absurd solution that makes no sense, and it would be up to you, his speculative peers, to figure out that he's been misinterpreting an awful lot of things so far, almost as if he's living in his own reality... oh hey, that's The Choir, isn't it?

But then what happens? What happens when you've deduced someone has been Marked by a Fear?

Mmmm, nothing. I have no idea if there's a way to Cure a Mark. That's something you'll have to look into on your own. But when you do figure out the way, I, your humble guide Eshu, shall be here to explain how it works.

For now, though? There's no Cure. But hopefully none of you will be Marked anyway. Hopefully I'm just paranoid.

Just keep finding and solving puzzles, and remember to eat an apple every day for good health, and keep on reading Fearblogs and watching Fearvlogs. You never know when something might catch your eye.

MODERATOR VOICE:

And to make this absolutely clear, these rules only apply to this Nine is God subforum (and the Fearverse Facebook Group). Please try not to let the Fear Marking mechanic bleed out to other sections of our wonderful forum and community.

That is all. Happy hunting!
Any questions?

EXHIBITS:
Viceking's Graab (Step inside the maze. You could spend an eternity here.)
The Mythology of Empathy (Eight songs, nine tracks. Welcome death.)
Ancestor (Five tracks. Death of the Artist and Chinese mythology.)
Fear (A visual art exhibit in blog format.)
Nobody anymore, never again (Another visual art exhibit in blog format.)
The Everyblogger Triad: 1, 2, 3 (Embrace the bad writing, give into your psyche.)
PLAN 31 (Frank Slenderman: Ace Attorney)
OH GOD THE RAPTURE IS BURNING (400,000 words. Five months. All Fears. Excess. On fifth draft, not final.)
Topography Genera (15 blogs. Conventional horror. See seas rise.)
PM
TheSomnambulist
 Posted: Feb 27 2014, 01:53 PM

Wordweaver/Neurotic individual

Group: Conspirator (Som)
Member No.: 40

So it just occurred to me... If the marked person doesn't know what fear they are marked by and just have a riddle as a hint if they don't figure out the hint how do they know in what way to act?

I'm not crazy I just use a different definition of sanity...

The Forum Blunt Instrument. "Because sometimes the only way to get through to someone is with a sledgehammer."

Archon of Chaos.

Leader of the Cult of Filik.

Amalgam series goes in this order
Prestidigitation>Urban Malefic>The World Through These Eyeholes>Cold and Lonely Days>Metaphysical Fiction and Dawghouse>No Gods No Masters>Unlikely World>Epilogic
>Cresting The Wave

Extra stories that tie into The Somniverse at points and are not linked in the stories.
Sing to me Songs of The darkness>The One and Only
Last Rites
PM
DarkShadows
 Posted: Feb 27 2014, 05:02 PM

2spooky Since 1991. OuO

Group: Members
Member No.: 300

Furthermore, will they be given more than just the one riddle to go on if it should seem they've misinterpreted the Fear they're marked by, and therefore aren't acting in the right manner?

You're not out of the woods yet... and you never truly will be.

My Youtube ~ My ArtGrounds ~ My FictionPress ~ My Slendervlog ~ My (Personal) Blog

Blogs:
In The Dark Shadows ~ Between the Party Lines ~ Open Season ~ Shelly Loves Succulents ~ Night Class (STCZ) ~ Breaking The Waves (STCZ) ~ Graham, Positive ~ Twelve Days

Short Stories:
Project Him, a Slenderman vignette collection. ~ The Sycamore Project, decrypted tales of the Tall One. ~ The City claims another within its Drywall and Wiring ~ Got a MachineHead, it's better than the rest.
PM
DJay32
 Posted: Feb 28 2014, 04:01 AM

Sally Death
Group Icon

QUOTE (DarkShadows @ Feb 27 2014, 05:02 PM)
Furthermore, will they be given more than just the one riddle to go on if it should seem they've misinterpreted the Fear they're marked by, and therefore aren't acting in the right manner?

No, but there will be more game mechanics later on that seek to help players realize what they've been Marked with.

EDIT:
So it just occurred to me... If the marked person doesn't know what fear they are marked by and just have a riddle as a hint if they don't figure out the hint how do they know in what way to act?

The riddle is more of a suggestion of how to behave, how to "get in character," such as The Choir's riddle hypothetically being something like "POST WHATEVER YOU WANT REGARDLESS OF WHETHER IT'S RELEVANT OR NOT!" Of course, The Choir is a bit too difficult of a Fear to actually pull off so that's a big reason why it won't actually Mark anyone.

Chances are you probably won't figure out the Fear just by "cracking" the riddle, as they're not quite riddles in that sense. This is more like a game of charades. Or Mafia or something, I think that's what that game's called. But it's up to your peers to figure out what Fear you are. And if they can't, well, there is the Death System.

Nine is God is not particularly designed to let every player get through every puzzle, but it is designed to do some specific things. Hopefully by the end players will figure out what.

..well, this was a randomly OOG post, wasn't it? Whoops.

EXHIBITS:
The Everyblogger Triad: 1, 2, 3 (Embrace the bad writing, give into your psyche.)
OH GOD THE RAPTURE IS BURNING (400,000 words. Five months. All Fears. Excess. On fifth draft, not final.)
PM
TheSomnambulist
 Posted: Feb 28 2014, 05:54 PM

Wordweaver/Neurotic individual

Group: Conspirator (Som)
Member No.: 40

Sorry but for some reason the thought was troubling me.

I'm not crazy I just use a different definition of sanity...

The Forum Blunt Instrument. "Because sometimes the only way to get through to someone is with a sledgehammer."

Archon of Chaos.

Leader of the Cult of Filik.

Amalgam series goes in this order
Prestidigitation>Urban Malefic>The World Through These Eyeholes>Cold and Lonely Days>Metaphysical Fiction and Dawghouse>No Gods No Masters>Unlikely World>Epilogic
>Cresting The Wave

Extra stories that tie into The Somniverse at points and are not linked in the stories.
Sing to me Songs of The darkness>The One and Only
Last Rites
PM
DJay32
 Posted: Nov 23 2014, 05:53 PM

Sally Death
Group Icon

For the sake of my own sanity, I'm going to clarify another OOG thing here.

Nine is God is its own canon. Just like everything else in this mythos. I would personally prefer if people wouldn't assume something in another canon automatically exists in this one.

EXHIBITS:
PM
Dr0Shadow
 Posted: Nov 23 2014, 07:18 PM

He Who Walks Between The Worlds

Group: Members
Member No.: 408

Right, sorry.
PM
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicCreate New TopicCreate New Poll