Pages: (3) 1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicCreate New TopicCreate New Poll

Viceking's Graab, "The blog to end all blogs."
alliterator
 Posted: Jul 14 2015, 05:14 AM

The Jerkface Man
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 7

I'm up to this blog now. it says it's a "Levine quote," but I had to look it up to remember where.

So the Viceking is the
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
Slender Man?

Or possibly the Viceking is
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
our perception of what the Slender Man was or used to be or will be?

Faces, Strange and Secret: An Anthology of Stories from da Fears Mythos: on sale from Amazon, Kindle, and Smashwords

My Finished Stories.

My Ongoing Stories:
Channel Fear (informational, educational, cynical)
The Supernatural Anaesthetist (seeing where science takes us)
Once There Was (the king is the kingdom)
An Old Man's Winter Night (at the winter of the world)
Unwashed and Somewhat Slightly Dazed (working for the man)
The Secret History of the World (unstuck in time)
Notes from the Underground (a place to stay)
Phantasmagorical (a bedtime story)
Paranoia: A Manifesto (wrecking the wall)
The Day The Music Died (running from sound and sorrow)
Abraham's Men (knights, ghosts, and shadows)
Pest Control (pulling the wings off of flies)
PM
alliterator
 Posted: Jul 14 2015, 05:18 AM

The Jerkface Man
Group Icon

Member No.: 7

Okay, that's also where I'm stuck. I can't find my way out of that blog - there doesn't appear to be a link (aside from the one to Amazon).

Faces, Strange and Secret: An Anthology of Stories from da Fears Mythos: on sale from Amazon, Kindle, and Smashwords

My Finished Stories.

My Ongoing Stories:
Channel Fear (informational, educational, cynical)
The Supernatural Anaesthetist (seeing where science takes us)
Once There Was (the king is the kingdom)
An Old Man's Winter Night (at the winter of the world)
Unwashed and Somewhat Slightly Dazed (working for the man)
The Secret History of the World (unstuck in time)
Notes from the Underground (a place to stay)
Phantasmagorical (a bedtime story)
Paranoia: A Manifesto (wrecking the wall)
The Day The Music Died (running from sound and sorrow)
Abraham's Men (knights, ghosts, and shadows)
Pest Control (pulling the wings off of flies)
PM
DJay32
 Posted: Jul 14 2015, 05:23 AM

Sally Death
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 8

The Viceking is many things. Some of those things are obvious. Literally speaking, on the same level that "You" explore the tomb in search of a body, you are right. That's the obvious part, one that I left the most clues for.

But even the obvious answer still leaves "Who killed the Viceking and why?"

As for getting out of that blog, if I recall correctly that post is a dead-end. Of course, even the dead-ends have important text. But in terms of exploring the maze, yeah, it's a dead-end.

EXHIBITS:
Viceking's Graab (Step inside the maze. You could spend an eternity here.)
The Mythology of Empathy (Eight songs, nine tracks. Welcome death.)
Ancestor (Five tracks. Death of the Artist and Chinese mythology.)
Fear (A visual art exhibit in blog format.)
Nobody anymore, never again (Another visual art exhibit in blog format.)
The Everyblogger Triad: 1, 2, 3 (Embrace the bad writing, give into your psyche.)
PLAN 31 (Frank Slenderman: Ace Attorney)
OH GOD THE RAPTURE IS BURNING (400,000 words. Five months. All Fears. Excess. On fifth draft, not final.)
Topography Genera (15 blogs. Conventional horror. See seas rise.)
PM
TheSomnambulist
 Posted: Jul 14 2015, 04:44 PM

Wordweaver/Neurotic individual

Group: Conspirator (Som)
Member No.: 40

Still having no luck getting past the second password area here...

I'm not crazy I just use a different definition of sanity...

The Forum Blunt Instrument. "Because sometimes the only way to get through to someone is with a sledgehammer."

Archon of Chaos.

Leader of the Cult of Filik.

Amalgam series goes in this order
Prestidigitation>Urban Malefic>The World Through These Eyeholes>Cold and Lonely Days>Metaphysical Fiction and Dawghouse>No Gods No Masters>Unlikely World>Epilogic
>Cresting The Wave

Extra stories that tie into The Somniverse at points and are not linked in the stories.
Sing to me Songs of The darkness>The One and Only
Last Rites
PM
DJay32
 Posted: Jul 14 2015, 09:24 PM

Sally Death
Group Icon

The second password is prompted in an area I call a "circle," of which there are a few in the maze. That particular circle is designed with many things in mind, one of which being giving you the clues for the password. Look around the circle of blogs, there is a three-letter combination that is prominent somewhere.

EXHIBITS:
The Everyblogger Triad: 1, 2, 3 (Embrace the bad writing, give into your psyche.)
OH GOD THE RAPTURE IS BURNING (400,000 words. Five months. All Fears. Excess. On fifth draft, not final.)
PM
Hexillith
 Posted: Jul 16 2015, 01:07 AM

Bat One
Group Icon

Member No.: 397

I've done some poking around on Google, trying to figure out some of the symbolism. This is starting to feel like an ARG. I love it.

The Viceking:
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
The whole "Buckley shot the Russian General" thing is from Finnegans Wake. Here is what I found about it. Also, according to Wikipedia, in Soviet Russia, General was the second highest rank in the government.

I think it's significant that the Viceking is the one who's replaced(?) by the King, rather than the other way around. I mean, in the U.S. when the President dies the Vice President takes his place. Obviously this means something, I'm just not sure what. I'll elaborate later in this post.

Shem:
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
Also from Finnegans Wake. Apparently he represents James Joyce, which makes sense considering DJay said somewhere (can't recall where, maybe on the wiki or something) that Shem in Viceking's Graab is something of a version of him (DJay, not Joyce).

Conjecture:
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
My immediate thought as to the identity of Buckley is that he's CuteWithoutThe, alliterator, LizardBite, or all three - they founded the mythos, they shot the Russian General. I have practically no evidence to back that up, though, it's just a hunch.

I think the pyramid is the Fear Mythos because it's made of the writing on the wall.

Also, I don't know if any of you have gotten to the point where You shoot the King, but that makes me think that the same point's being made about the Fear Mythos as the Slender Man Mythos.

MORE CONJECTURE SOON GOTTA GO NOW.

EDIT: My memory falters but I'm thinking
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
You don't explicitly shoot the King, you're just told that's what you're supposed to do next? I need to reread that part.

Unseelie - The place where giants rule

Journal of the days after - Torn from xer awful embrace

Mene, Mene, Tekel, Upharsin - Read it and weep

Our Cyclical Dance - Endlessly in on itself

I'm on Tumblr and DeviantArt.

So look at the fleeting stars with fleeting eyes, and feel how the earth beneath you gives. It is all a temporary manifestation of particles, and it is all unraveling back to particulate silence. The bustle of the human day will come and will go. And then there will be night. -WtNV
PM
DJay32
 Posted: Jul 16 2015, 01:41 AM

Sally Death
Group Icon

The story of "How Buckley Shot the Russian General" is a complicated one, arguably one of the densest in the entire Wake, which is part of what makes it so fascinating to me. It also is close to the exact centre of the book, and it is very hard not to interpret the vignette as a central one to the monomyth. And plus its imagery frightens me. But luckily, you can find simple translations of the story in many places, including the Graab itself!

Shem, like the Viceking, is fairly easy to figure out the basic identity of. But the harder question is placing his significance in the maze of metaphors.

As for your conjecture, I like the cut of your jib, you bring up some pleasing points. Really, as you can read Viceking's Graab in whatever direction you choose, you can thus interpret it according to whatever experience you have. Though if you want to do me the unfathomable honour of trying to deconstruct it and see some of its deepest secrets, my only piece of advice is "see the whole exhibit."

EXHIBITS:
PM
TheSomnambulist
 Posted: Jul 16 2015, 02:14 AM

Okay still trying this plassword...

Can I at least get confirmation though that either the password is not case sensitive or is entirely lowercase?

The Forum Blunt Instrument. "Because sometimes the only way to get through to someone is with a sledgehammer."

Archon of Chaos.

Prestidigitation>Urban Malefic>The World Through These Eyeholes>Cold and Lonely Days>Metaphysical Fiction and Dawghouse>No Gods No Masters>Unlikely World>Epilogic
>Cresting The Wave

Extra stories that tie into The Somniverse at points and are not linked in the stories.
Last Rites
PM
DJay32
 Posted: Jul 16 2015, 02:18 AM

Sally Death
Group Icon

Both passwords are entirely lowercase. ...should have clarified that one, come to think of it.

EXHIBITS:
PM
TheSomnambulist
 Posted: Jul 16 2015, 02:34 AM

HOLY SHI- I DID IT!!!

How did I miss that!!!!???

Here if anyone else has problems with this...

Spoiler (Show/Hide)
Look for a fat villain

Archon of Chaos.

>Cresting The Wave

Last Rites
PM
DJay32
 Posted: Jul 28 2015, 02:09 AM

Sally Death
Group Icon

Anyone make more progress? Anyone found the centre? ;D

The companion piece, Viceking's Blaag, updated a while ago to include "Tips & Tricks," but they're all pretty much in this thread by now. What isn't in this thread, however, is the "Reader's Guide!"

QUOTE (Reader's Guide)
- What is the standard definition of a blog? What does "blog" mean to you? Does Viceking's Graab fit into your own personal definition?
- How does the story's interactivity impact your reactions? Your expectations?
- Directions come up a lot. Do any recur? Does the text at any point lead you to associate any with a particular concept?
- What might the significance be of "writing on the walls?" Is there any specific association that the text brings up?
- There are many times in the text where you are prompted to "Follow," to subscribe for new posts, and many more where such a prompt is alluded to. With all this emphasis on following and future posts, what overall tone does this design choice set, and how might other aspects contradict this tone?
- How does the maze's first choice differ from and/or support future choices?
- Whose presence truly permeates these posts?

EXHIBITS:
PM
TheSomnambulist
 Posted: Jul 28 2015, 01:59 PM

Unfortunately after finally getting past the second password I became kind of burned out and am now at my grandfathers. I will likely continue through The Graab when I return home on Monday.

Archon of Chaos.

>Cresting The Wave

Last Rites
PM
Hexillith
 Posted: Jul 28 2015, 05:45 PM

Bat One
Group Icon

I've been exploring it periodically. I think I'm missing large parts of the maze because I still can't find the second password area. I'll probably work on it more (and be more active in the Mythos in general) when I'm done with my summer job.

So look at the fleeting stars with fleeting eyes, and feel how the earth beneath you gives. It is all a temporary manifestation of particles, and it is all unraveling back to particulate silence. The bustle of the human day will come and will go. And then there will be night. -WtNV
PM
Hexillith
 Posted: Aug 11 2015, 05:34 PM

Bat One
Group Icon

Finally found the second password area and holy shit, there are a ton of new blogs to explore.

After reading through the Graab all morning, here are some more of the impressions I'm getting as to its possible themes:

Spoiler (Show/Hide)
- Obsolescence of the Slender Man and the Fear Mythos, as I mentioned before.

- Erosion of self. There are lots of references to mental illness and depression in particular, and in my experience depression is primarily an erosion of self/sense of self. Could also be general depersonalization as a result of mental illness, not depression specifically.

- ...evolution? of language. Obsolescence of media. Abnihilization of the etym?

- All of which together seems to indicate that the Graab's primary theme is impermanence. Er, not that. I can't quite describe what I'm thinking because it's still really abstract in my head and I don't fully understand it. :huh: I'll think on it some more.

Thiiinking this might be the center? Since
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
approaching the Viceking's coffin leads back to it?
Not sure at all of what that would mean. I have a suspicion but little textual evidence to support it as of now.

I'm going on instinct and vague impressions here, not scrupulous analysis. I think I'll start taking notes so I can organize my evidence.

PM
DJay32
 Posted: Aug 11 2015, 06:32 PM

Sally Death
Group Icon

"Erosion" implies a self ever existed to begin with. I can say that the concept of the self is a big part of the Graab. The question is what are we really looking at? And how does all this philosophy actually relate to the Fear Mythos? The Graab is insistent that it is a Fearblog, after all.

You're definitely exploring the right areas. But what about literal area-exploration? What did you find past the second password area? If you had to try and sketch a map of the maze, do you think you could? Do you think you've explored at least most of it?

EXHIBITS:
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (3) 1 2 3  Reply to this topicCreate New TopicCreate New Poll