Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicCreate New TopicCreate New Poll

Don't Rest Your Head, Forum RPG Interest Thread
Foolamancer
 Posted: Nov 21 2012, 06:54 AM

The Lie Thy Soul Hath Spoken

Group: Conspirator (III)
Member No.: 63

STAY AWAKE
DON'T REST YOUR HEAD

Don't Rest Your Head is a glorious little RPG created by Evil Hat Industries, the same company that brought us my personal favorite tabletop game of all time: Spirit of the Century. I've only recently picked up a copy of Don't Rest Your Head, but it already looks to be a sharp contender for that top spot.

The players are Awake - insomniacs who have been awake for so long that the hallucinations and move swings have actually given way to awareness of a new reality... if it actually is reality. They can enter and interact with the nightmare realm of the Mad City, a huge, sprawling, anachronistic urban jungle, connected to us by every shadow under the bed and every half-seen door in the back of an alleyway, ruled over by the reason-defying monstrosities known as the Nightmares. And they can't escape it. As the Awake, they're like beacons to the Nightmares, and have to struggle to survive the attacks of the Nightmares' minions while their sanity - and their former lives - crumble around them.

So, if trying out a simple-to-learn, easy-to-play, deliciously dark and sadistic horror RPG sounds at all interesting to you, feel free to post here to show support for a possible forum game. The rules themselves are very simple, and are summed up in this handy quick reference guide.

If you have any questions about the rules summary given above (and it's not so much a "summary" as it is "all the rules"), feel free to ask. In the meantime, if you're interested in playing, now would be a good time to start making a character bio, keeping in mind that it should answer the following questions:

Who are you?
What's been keeping you awake?
What happened when you Awakened?
Who are you on the surface?
Who are you under that?
What's your path?

Out of these, the last is the most important. It's really a question of where you want your character to go, what you want their character development to focus around. It's a big part of your ability to control how the game will go.

Other than that, character creation consists of only three more things: your Exhaustion Talent, something mundane that you become progressively better at as you push yourself further to your limits; your Madness Talent, an outright impossible ability, like the power to wield every blade that has ever ended a life and use them to kill anything, or to make your body into a hive for venomous insects, or to turn into a Tyrannosaurus Rex, or to speak a few syllables of God's own language; and your Fight and Flight responses, which you have three "points" to allocate between (or all three to one), each point representing your tendency towards one behavior or the other under stress.

Exhaustion and Madness Talents are the only things that need my approval. Mostly the latter, as they can get very, very powerful if not carefully managed; it's essentially the ability to rewrite reality on a whim.

If you're interested in playing, post in here with a preliminary character sheet using the following format.

NAME:
CONCEPT:

DISCIPLINE: •••
EXHAUSTION:
PERMANENT MADNESS:

FIGHT:
FLIGHT:

EXHAUSTION TALENT:
MADNESS TALENT:

BIOGRAPHY:

Evil Hat was kind enough to provide new players with an example character. The gray boxes on Permanent Madness and Flight mean that he has none of either.

So. Any takers?

LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
- Death, in Terry Pratchett's Reaper Man

Madverse Fearblogs
In The Shuffling Madness - Incomplete, Possible Reboot
Call The Schoolmaster - Complete
And Much Of Madness - Active
Where Murder Lies - Inactive
PM
Mr Heuristic
 Posted: Nov 21 2012, 07:10 AM

The Red Knight in Prada

Group: Members
Member No.: 217

And thus the Renaissance of the Forum Games began. You're welcome, everyone. You're welcome.

Also Fool, I've always been interested in this game but I've never read much into it. I think I'm going to download the pdf, look into it, and get back to you.
PM
proxiehunter
 Posted: Nov 21 2012, 10:50 AM

Favored Servant
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 22

Ooh, ooh, ooh. It's almost six AM and I have to get to sleep before I wind up playing the fucking LARP version but I'll try to find the time to put together a character tomorrow. Um, today. You know when I wake up after resting my head.
PM
GraciousVictory
 Posted: Nov 21 2012, 02:34 PM

Either the best or worst knight ever.

Group: Conspirator (IV)
Member No.: 20

NAME: Antoinette Crane
CONCEPT: Overworked Intern

EXHAUSTION:
PERMANENT MADNESS:

FIGHT: ••
FLIGHT: •

EXHAUSTION TALENT: First Aid. Antoinette's good at keeping people alive, in a pinch.
MADNESS TALENT: Breakage Point. Antoinette can find and exploit the weakest point in anything.

BIOGRAPHY:

Who are you?
My name is Antoinette Crane. I'm a medical intern at the local hospital. I'm 27 years old. As a child, I always wanted to be a doctor, though my parents told me we'd never have the money for med school and that being a doctor would never be attainable for me. I worked really, really hard, got the best grades I could, and, with no help from my family, made it to a good school and, from there, into an excellent Graduate program.

Ever since getting my internship, though, things haven't been going so well.

The staff at this hospital are treating me as though I'm their slave rather than a fellow practitioner of medicine. I'm being worked unreasonable hours and expected listen to everything these pompous...these doctors say with rapt attention. I know, as a doctor, I'm going to be expected to keep long, stressful hours, but I'm regularly scheduled before many of the doctors get here and I'm still here after those same doctors leave! I've tried to complain, but all that gets me is a pat on the head and empty words about that being all part of the internship.

I Awakened when a doctor--who was going off shift to play fucking golf--told me to add an extra three hours to my current shift and to come in tomorrow--my first fucking day off in weeks--for a six hour shift.

Calm, collected, caring, submissive, eager-to-please.

Who are you under that?
Raging, neglectful parents, unquenchable drive to succeed no matter what, unwavering vision of personal goals, severe caffeine addiction, heavy amount of resentment for authority figures, unlimited disdain for those who think they "know better".

What's your path?
As bad as it is, I either need to learn to either suck it up or to stand up for myself. The way things are currently going, I'm going to break under the pressure and drop out of the internship or take a short walk off the edge of the hospital roof. But at the same time, a part of me has a burning desire to prove to the doctors that I actually can succeed, that I'm not just an intern, I'm a much better doctor than they'll ever be.

the jeanette experience:jeanette penny ten

other mythos: extra alastor abyzou caim crocodile ashleigh

finished: d charity carraway

danger time: typhon theseus echidna athena

other adventures: sasha irina alyssa

other other: destiny/shadowdestiny/mab
PM
Foolamancer
 Posted: Nov 21 2012, 03:38 PM

Looks very good, Gracy - pretty much perfect, in fact, except that your Madness Talent might be just a little too weak. Maybe "find and exploit the weakest point in anything" is more appropriate, with more Madness dice being required the more durable (or abstract) the target is.

Madverse Fearblogs
PM
GraciousVictory
 Posted: Nov 21 2012, 03:44 PM

Either the best or worst knight ever.

Group: Conspirator (IV)
Member No.: 20

Thanks for the suggestion, changed it!

I've played the game before--it was years and years ago, mind you, and just for a one-shot, but it's experience nonetheless. This game's a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to it.

the jeanette experience:jeanette penny ten

other mythos: extra alastor abyzou caim crocodile ashleigh

finished: d charity carraway

danger time: typhon theseus echidna athena

other adventures: sasha irina alyssa

other other: destiny/shadowdestiny/mab
PM
Foolamancer
 Posted: Nov 21 2012, 06:57 PM

Hm. On second thought... Generic "I can find and take advantage of the weakness in everything" might be too strong, and your original might be powerful enough. Give me a bit to think about it.

I would have a long train of thought here for you to follow, but I'm short on time as Thanksgiving is tomorrow and my family always hosts the dinner for all the relatives. Kind of crazy around here.

Madverse Fearblogs
PM
BirdWords
 Posted: Nov 21 2012, 07:48 PM

Corrupted

Member No.: 233

I'm really interested in this. I am going to work on a character concept, but I think I will wait for a few more people to post their characters so I can get a better idea of what you are looking for.

MY BLOGS:
The Assistant-The blog of Charlie, featuring his mad scientist like brother. Companion:Fear Himself-The blog of Charlie's brother, Doc.
To Become A Hero-Slender Man Mythos+Fear Mythos in a fantasy setting
The House Always Wins-The blog of Vance House, the self proclaimed "Luckiest Man Alive". Part of the Tale Weaver Challenges.

MY GAMES:
The Assembly of Rats-Darren Protsman wakes up in a prison, after trying to assassinate a Rat. We are in Act 2(there's a recap if you want to try jumping in). He has since escaped the prison and is in a castle.
Day In The Life-You are the Slender Man, currently on a quest to retrieve the little girls you owe The Wooden Girl.

OTHER:
Birdy Reads!-I read some blogs and stuff. Currently working on the Rapture Logs.
My Youtube Channel-Birdy Reads, Useless Stuff, Maybe Some Let's Plays
PM
TheSomnambulist
 Posted: Nov 21 2012, 08:08 PM

Wordweaver/Neurotic individual

Group: Conspirator (Som)
Member No.: 40

I am so in on this...

NAME: Lewis Randall
CONCEPT: Anxious Teen

EXHAUSTION:
PERMANENT MADNESS:

FIGHT: •
FLIGHT: ••

EXHAUSTION TALENT: Escaping things. Is good at escaping dangerous situations.
MADNESS TALENT: Fear Channeling. Can call into being the creature of his nightmares to aid him in tasks.

BIOGRAPHY:

Who are you?
Name's Lewis Randall. A classic highschooler with anxiety problems. I'm 17 and in grade 11. Just a normal kid trying to get through highschool and dealing with the many stresses and anxieties of highschool life.

The Nightmares. every night as soon as my eyes close the nightmares start and wake me up. It got so bad that I started missing school and eventually started taking therapy for it.

The therapist gave me some pills to help with the nightmares but they didn't work and instead the nightmares just got worse and eventually it just got so bad that I stopped being able to tell when I was awake or asleep and that's when I awakened.

Fearful, shy, and soft spoken.

Who are you under that?
Angry, resentful of my weakness, determined and greatly desiring t9 do at least one brave thing in his life.

What's your path?
To overcome my fears and weaknesses.

(Is this good?)

I'm not crazy I just use a different definition of sanity...

The Forum Blunt Instrument. "Because sometimes the only way to get through to someone is with a sledgehammer."

Archon of Chaos.

Leader of the Cult of Filik.

Amalgam series goes in this order
Prestidigitation>Urban Malefic>The World Through These Eyeholes>Cold and Lonely Days>Metaphysical Fiction and Dawghouse>No Gods No Masters>Unlikely World>Epilogic
>Cresting The Wave

Extra stories that tie into The Somniverse at points and are not linked in the stories.
Sing to me Songs of The darkness>The One and Only
Last Rites
PM
Foolamancer
 Posted: Nov 21 2012, 09:03 PM

Looks fine to me, Som.

EDIT: Though, to clarify, "overcome my fears" is pretty much all you need for your path. Passing high school is an ordinary thing, not really character development.

Also, feel free to post anything you think is appropriate, BirdWords. I'll let you know if it has to be changed, but I doubt it will. DRYH is a very free-wheeling game.

Madverse Fearblogs
PM
BirdWords
 Posted: Nov 21 2012, 09:15 PM

Corrupted

Member No.: 233

NAME: Nelson Trundy
CONCEPT: Paranoid Actor
EXHAUSTION:
PERMANENT MADNESS:

FIGHT:
FLIGHT: •••

EXHAUSTION TALENT: Voice. Is very talented with his voice, has a large range, good with impressions, animal sounds, can throw his voice. Convincing liar.
MADNESS TALENT: Can transform into other people.

BIOGRAPHY:

Who are you?
Nelson Trundy. I'm just an unremarkable young man of 23. Ever since I was a young boy, I wanted to be an actor. I haven't yet hit my big break, and recently I've been afraid to leave my apartment, or audition for anything that could get me seen. I know that if I do, They will only have an easier time getting to me. I don't know who or what They are, but they've been following me for at least a year now.

My stalkers. I can't sleep for the fear of what They may to do me if I do. I spend my nights holding a baseball bat at all times, waiting. I'm not sure what I am waiting for, but I wish it would come.

I left my apartment for the first extended period of time in weeks to go to an audition, and was brutally mugged. Likely set up by Them.

Calm, confident. Some may say I am arrogant at times. Can be a bit sarcastic.

Who are you under that?
A terrified man, living in fear of what is to come.

What's your path?
I want to escape whoever They are, so that I can go on and make a career for myself as an actor. If not as an actor, then at least some sort of life where I don't have to live in fear.

(How is it? I didn't know what to do for my talents very much, so I'm open to any ideas to bring them up or down to the right level of power.)

MY BLOGS:
The Assistant-The blog of Charlie, featuring his mad scientist like brother. Companion:Fear Himself-The blog of Charlie's brother, Doc.
To Become A Hero-Slender Man Mythos+Fear Mythos in a fantasy setting
The House Always Wins-The blog of Vance House, the self proclaimed "Luckiest Man Alive". Part of the Tale Weaver Challenges.

MY GAMES:
The Assembly of Rats-Darren Protsman wakes up in a prison, after trying to assassinate a Rat. We are in Act 2(there's a recap if you want to try jumping in). He has since escaped the prison and is in a castle.
Day In The Life-You are the Slender Man, currently on a quest to retrieve the little girls you owe The Wooden Girl.

OTHER:
Birdy Reads!-I read some blogs and stuff. Currently working on the Rapture Logs.
My Youtube Channel-Birdy Reads, Useless Stuff, Maybe Some Let's Plays
PM
Foolamancer
 Posted: Nov 21 2012, 09:33 PM

It looks really good, actually, with the exception that I think that your power should be general shapeshifting rather than limited to just people. More dice are required for turning into larger or more complex things, and the transformations don't last long if they're particularly drastic, but that seems like a good power to me.

Madverse Fearblogs
PM
Dee Arris
 Posted: Nov 21 2012, 10:38 PM

Fighter

Member No.: 228

NAME: Gideon Bletchley, a.k.a. "The Great Glimmer"
CONCEPT: Disgraced stage magician.

EXHAUSTION:
PERMANENT MADNESS:

FIGHT: ••
FLIGHT:

EXHAUSTION TALENT: Slight-of-hand; able to use trickery to unbalance or confuse an opponent, leaving them vulnerable to further assault.
MADNESS TALENT: The Third Eye; a third eye opens in the middle of his forehead, allowing him to peer straight through walls or into the very minds other entities, providing a conduit either to read their thoughts or torment them by transmitting images of his own terrible nightmares.

BIOGRAPHY:

Who are you?
Gideon Bletchley. The Great Glimmer. I'm 29 years old. I was born with a gift. A genuine, mental gift, and I attained a measure of fame with that gift by taking it to the stage. All I wanted to do was make money doing what I enjoyed, while also bringing happiness to others. I performed in front of important people from every corner of the globe. Young children look up to me because I could bring magic into their world. Nothing was impossible for me. I pushed myself further and harder to prove that. In the end, it was an accident that stripped my magic from me.

During a hypnotism routine, the volunteer suffered a fit and collapsed right on-stage in front of everybody. He survived, but the paparazzi bounty hunters had everything they needed to do what they do best; destroy people for money. My career crashed. Love turned to hatred. Every night, I saw the poor man's face, twisted and twitching in my dreams. I saw an incompetent fool in a turban and cape waving his hands uselessly in the air. The nightmares came to me clad in those faces. I began to see shapes in my garden, which I told myself were the journalists trying to catch my downward spiral on film, but part of me knew they were something else.

The press conveniently swept away the good, clean fun I had brought with me to the stage. They demonised me. I still had my loyal fans, but I could not take the idea of being hated so venomously over one mistake. Even worse was the knowledge I had let myself make such an error in the first place. I withdrew into myself until I thought I'd waste away and disapear. Two years after the incident occured, my self-esteem reached an all-time low and I found myself emptying a bottle of pills into my shaking palms. I gazed into the bathroom mirror, and saw somebody else gazing back at me.

I call upon my other persona in order to appear powerful. I am a master of the mystical arts. Theatrical, poetic, confident, deeply enigmatic, knowledgeable.

Who are you under that?
I need somebody to unleash my rage on, a way to let fly my indignity before it destroys me from the inside. I need revenge but I don't know who to take it out on. I need somebody to reassure me that all isn't lost and will stand by Gideon Bletchley, the man, not simply argue for the case of the Great Glimmer. I need to prove to myself and to the outside world that my past mistakes can be made up for. I hold desperately on to my beautiful magic because if I lose that, I know I will have lost all the light in my soul and fall into crushing oblivion. I act like I'm able to accomplish anything, but I need somebody to believe it.

What's your path?
I want to drag myself up from the muck of my self-loathing before it suffocates me, to discard my bitterness, get back on the stage, better than ever, to battle my own self-doubts and show I have what it takes to put it all right again. Even if I have to fight all the powers of hell in order to do it, I must become stronger, for myself and for the people who still look up to me. I have to prove that I can do anything. The Great Glimmer must live again.
PM
Foolamancer
 Posted: Nov 21 2012, 10:49 PM

Looks good, Dee (assuming that the "genuine mental gift" doesn't mean that you were born with your mentalist powers; Awakened only gain their powers as a result of their insomnia and are normal people beforehand), and that brings us up to four characters - plenty to start a game with.

I'll be asking LizardBite for a subforum for the game. We'll be starting this off with some Awakening scenes: showing exactly what it was that initiated you to the Mad City, with the "What just happened to you?" answers you provided as the starting point. The threads themselves will be up soon.

This means two things: one, you won't be starting the game as a group (and might spend a good deal of time apart even once the game is underway; DRYH works great for individual horror as well as group things, so even though you very definitely will all know and work with one another occasionally, it might be that you get split up every once in a while). Two, new people can still join the game if they haven't been able to get their character sheets up yet; they just Awaken later.

I look forward to playing with all of you.

Madverse Fearblogs
PM
Dee Arris
 Posted: Nov 21 2012, 10:51 PM

Fighter

Member No.: 228

QUOTE (Foolamancer @ Nov 21 2012, 10:49 PM)
Looks good, Dee (assuming that the "genuine mental gift" doesn't mean that you were born with your mentalist powers; Awakened only gain their powers as a result of their insomnia and are normal people beforehand), and that brings us up to four characters - plenty to start a game with.

Nothing like that. His gifts just cover his ability to understand and carry out the more fantastical parts of his act. The same gifts any good magician or hypnotist needs, y'know?
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 2  Reply to this topicCreate New TopicCreate New Poll