Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicCreate New TopicCreate New Poll

Nelson, Verse One, The Walls Are Closing In
Foolamancer
 Posted: Nov 22 2012, 12:57 AM

The Lie Thy Soul Hath Spoken

Group: Conspirator (III)
Member No.: 63

"I get these chills up and down my spine, and all of the sudden, it's as clear as day. That if I stay put, I'm dead."
- Kabuto, Psyren

Your face is resting in a puddle of something warm.

It has been for several minutes, but you haven't had the energy to do anything about it. It's been too long since you slept. Every night, instead of shutting your eyes, you've sat there in the middle of your bed, clutching your baseball bat like it was your only link to life.

You really, really shouldn't have left the bat at home.

It's too late for regrets now, you think. Their muggers already beat you to the point of unconsciousness. The only reason you're still awake at the moment is because you've been awake for so long that your brain rebels against the idea of shutting down. They'll be here in person soon, to finish the job - or to start it. You're not really sure.

The dull, aching pain in your jaw and ribs. That's the key here. Focusing on it is agony, but it keeps you awake, at least. And it brings an odd sort of calmness with it, like your head is swimming into focus despite the torture you're inflicting upon yourself.

You force your eyes open.

Their mugger is gone. Your blood is still here. It coats the side of your face and soaks into your hair. Your lip is badly ripped, bleeding profusely even now.

You force yourself onto your hands and knees, despite the screamed protests from your limbs. The world seems to lurch around you, then come back into focus again, sharper than before. The alley is darker. The lights at the end are brighter. And the footsteps approaching from the rear of the alley echo pronouncedly from the brick walls, coming closer with every moment.

CODE
This is a game topic for Don't Rest Your Head, which will hopefully be getting its own subforum soon. This is a thread involving BirdWords' character Nelson, and no one else's. Anyone can post in here to make out of character comments, but please place all OOC banter in the [code] tags, to keep it separate from the rest of the thread.

Now, for Bird: this is your character's Awakening. The stress of the mugging and your own sleep deprivation have just combined to finally push you over the edge into the world of the Nightmares. As such, your character feels that something is different, but doesn't know what yet. This scene will hopefully give you a basic introduction to the Mad City and your own new abilities.

LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
- Death, in Terry Pratchett's Reaper Man

Madverse Fearblogs
In The Shuffling Madness - Incomplete, Possible Reboot
Call The Schoolmaster - Complete
And Much Of Madness - Active
Where Murder Lies - Inactive
PM
BirdWords
 Posted: Nov 22 2012, 01:05 AM

Corrupted

Group: Members
Member No.: 233

Move as fast I can in the opposite direction of the footsteps.

MY BLOGS:
The Assistant-The blog of Charlie, featuring his mad scientist like brother. Companion:Fear Himself-The blog of Charlie's brother, Doc.
To Become A Hero-Slender Man Mythos+Fear Mythos in a fantasy setting
The House Always Wins-The blog of Vance House, the self proclaimed "Luckiest Man Alive". Part of the Tale Weaver Challenges.

MY GAMES:
The Assembly of Rats-Darren Protsman wakes up in a prison, after trying to assassinate a Rat. We are in Act 2(there's a recap if you want to try jumping in). He has since escaped the prison and is in a castle.
Day In The Life-You are the Slender Man, currently on a quest to retrieve the little girls you owe The Wooden Girl.

OTHER:
Birdy Reads!-I read some blogs and stuff. Currently working on the Rapture Logs.
My Youtube Channel-Birdy Reads, Useless Stuff, Maybe Some Let's Plays
PM
Foolamancer
 Posted: Nov 22 2012, 01:33 AM

Coordination is hard. Everything is dizzy lurching, right now. Your head is spinning. You try to force yourself upright and into a sprint towards the end of the alley, but all you manage is to scrabble forward on your hands and knees for a few yards, then slam into a dumpster.

You try again, using the dumpster to pull yourself upright, and this time manage to take a few staggering steps away from the footsteps. But they're faster than you are - and it is they. There's more than one set, now. At least three.

Despite yourself, you cast a glance over your shoulder.

Cops. Three of them, marching stiffly forward towards you, each with a baton in their right hand. A soft noise accompanies each of their steps, but you can't quite place it - until one of their faces is briefly illuminated by a light from a window overhead, and you see the glassy, frozen, artificial grin there.

It's the whirring of clockwork.

Madverse Fearblogs
PM
BirdWords
 Posted: Nov 22 2012, 01:42 AM

Corrupted

Look in the dumpster to try to find anything useful to defend myself, if it comes to that.

MY BLOGS:
The Assistant-The blog of Charlie, featuring his mad scientist like brother. Companion:Fear Himself-The blog of Charlie's brother, Doc.
The House Always Wins-The blog of Vance House, the self proclaimed "Luckiest Man Alive". Part of the Tale Weaver Challenges.

MY GAMES:
The Assembly of Rats-Darren Protsman wakes up in a prison, after trying to assassinate a Rat. We are in Act 2(there's a recap if you want to try jumping in). He has since escaped the prison and is in a castle.
Day In The Life-You are the Slender Man, currently on a quest to retrieve the little girls you owe The Wooden Girl.

OTHER:
Birdy Reads!-I read some blogs and stuff. Currently working on the Rapture Logs.
PM
Foolamancer
 Posted: Nov 22 2012, 01:56 AM

There isn't much in the dumpster except the expected junk. It reeks, and it takes almost all of Nelson's willpower to shove his hand inside. But he does, and it closes around a length of two-by-four. Not much of a weapon, but a weapon nonetheless.

The clockwork policemen lurch still closer. It's time to make a decision: stand and fight, or try to flee using what strength their is in your legs.

Okay. This is a good place to try your first roll for the game.

In case the rules summary PDF wasn't clear, rolls in Don't Rest Your Head work like this:

- I assign a Pain rating to whatever you're trying to do - in this case, escaping (or fighting) the Watch Men. This is the number of Pain Dice I will roll.
- You build your dice pool for your own side of the roll. Your dice pool consists of any Discipline and Permanent Madness dice you have, plus any Exhaustion you have built up and up to six Madness dice.
- You can elect to increase your Exhaustion by one die before making the roll, to show that you are exerting yourself physically.
- You can include up to six Madness dice, to indicate you exerting yourself mentally, or just generally pushing yourself to the edge.
- We each roll our dice pools. I, since I only have one type of dice, roll a single pool of d6s. You, on the other hand, roll Discipline, Madness, and Exhaustion dice separately. This means that you roll them using separate roll tags, with each labeled with the type of dice it represents.
- A one, two, or three is a success. If you have more successes than I do, you succeed at whatever you were trying to do, and you win on ties. The number of successes determines what happens.
- The type of dice with the highest number showing is dominant. The dominant dice type determines how it happens.
- If Discipline dominates, skill and luck win the day, and the situation stays under control. You can heal up a little.
- If Exhaustion dominates, you succeed, but it taxes you physically, and you gain another Exhaustion die.
- If Madness dominates, not only does the situation spiral further out of control at my discretion, you have to check off a Fight or Flight response. Whatever the result of the roll-off, you react to it with terror or rage, as appropriate to the response you checked off.
- If Pain dominates... I get sadistic.

The Watch Men are, individually, Pain 1. However, there are three of them, which means that the group as a whole is Pain 3, which, in turn, means that you are evenly-matched with them even without adding any Exhaustion or Madness dice. But rolling three dice to beat three dice is risky, and that extra edge might make the difference between getting away - or disabling them - and being arrested. Or whatever it is that they want with you.

Madverse Fearblogs
PM
BirdWords
 Posted: Nov 22 2012, 02:10 AM

Corrupted

Discipline- Dice Roll: 3d6: 5+1+2 = 8
Exhaustion- Dice Roll: 1d6: 4 = 4

Nelson grabs the two-by-four and stands defiantly against the Watch Men. It was time to fight back against them.

CODE
I have no idea if I did this right.

MY BLOGS:

MY GAMES:

OTHER:
PM
Foolamancer
 Posted: Nov 22 2012, 02:19 AM

You did perfectly.

Pain:
Dice Roll: 3d6: 5+4+1 = 10

Madverse Fearblogs
PM
Foolamancer
 Posted: Nov 22 2012, 02:27 AM

Protagonist Successes: 2
Nightmare Successes: 1

Protagonist Wins, Discipline Dominates

The clockwork policemen are clumsy, ineffectual things. Against even an ordinary man, they would be outmatched. Only their numbers make them a threat - and even then, Nelson isn't entirely ordinary any more.

His first swing catches the leading Watch Man in the head with a dull thud. There's a loud grinding noise as the gears in its head and neck twist violently around from the impact, and it goes staggering backwards, club falling from its grasp. The other two close in, attempting to strike Nelson in return, but they aren't working together. There's no attempt to corral him. He takes a step backward, out of their reach, just before the clubs come whistling down.

You can continue to fight, or attempt anything else. You aren't limited to just the options I present you; post anything that you want to try, and I'll tell you if it needs a roll.

Madverse Fearblogs
PM
BirdWords
 Posted: Nov 22 2012, 02:37 AM

Corrupted

Nelson, realizing that the clockwork policemen aren't as intimidating as they seemed, decides to continue his assault on them with the two by four, without exerting himself quite as much.

Discipline: Dice Roll: 3d6: 4+2+6 = 12

MY BLOGS:

MY GAMES:

OTHER:
PM
proxiehunter
 Posted: Nov 22 2012, 02:47 AM

Favored Servant
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 22

QUOTE (BirdWords @ Nov 21 2012, 09:37 PM)
Nelson, realizing that the clockwork policemen aren't as intimidating as they seemed, decides to continue his assault on them with the two by four, without exerting himself quite as much.

Discipline: <span style="border:red solid 3px;"> Dice Roll: 3d6: 4+2+6 = 12</span>

CODE
OOC: As I recall the rules that exhaustion die is a permanent part of your pool now until you something to get rid of it.
PM
BirdWords
 Posted: Nov 22 2012, 02:55 AM

Corrupted

CODE
Don't I get to remove an exhaustion die if discipline dominates? How does that work?

MY BLOGS:

MY GAMES:

OTHER:
PM
Foolamancer
 Posted: Nov 22 2012, 03:06 AM

Just for those watching, Nelson would normally have kept that Exhaustion die in his pool. They don't go away on their own. But, since Discipline dominated during the last roll, he was able to remove it.

Pain:

Dice Roll: 2d6: 6+4 = 10

Madverse Fearblogs
PM
Foolamancer
 Posted: Nov 22 2012, 03:11 AM

Protagonist Successes: 1
Nightmare Successes: 0

Protagonist Wins, Discipline Dominates

Another dull thud, and another of the mechanical things collapses into a pile of flailing, clicking limbs. As it falls, Nelson catches a glimpse of a key, like one in the back of a wind-up soldier, protruding from the back of its uniform.

Even as he readies his swing to strike at the remaining clockwork man, however, he sees the one that he originally knocked down standing up again. They might not be particularly coordinated, but they are durable, and it will take more than a clumsily-swung two-by-four to make them stop coming.

Madverse Fearblogs
PM
BirdWords
 Posted: Nov 22 2012, 03:16 AM

Corrupted

Nelson tries to use the key on the recently fallen officer to turn him off, without getting hit by the other two officers.

Discipline- Dice Roll: 3d6: 2+3+4 = 9

CODE
So, I can remove a response check now? I don't quite understand the response thing at all.

MY BLOGS:

MY GAMES:

OTHER:
PM
Foolamancer
 Posted: Nov 22 2012, 03:23 AM

Recovering Responses, like removing Exhaustion dice, is a form of healing. You expend a Response whenever Madness dominates a roll, which forces you to act according to that Response when the result comes up. As you haven't yet expended any Responses, you don't have to worry about recovering them.

Pain:

Dice Roll: 2d6: 1+5 = 6

Madverse Fearblogs
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 2  Reply to this topicCreate New TopicCreate New Poll