Pages: (5) 1 2 3 4 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicCreate New TopicCreate New Poll

The Troupe, Verse Two, The Long Hand Of The Law
Foolamancer
 Posted: Nov 22 2012, 05:23 AM

The Lie Thy Soul Hath Spoken

Group: Conspirator (III)
Member No.: 63

The urchin stares at the quarter as if he has absolutely no idea what it's supposed to be. "Nah," he says. "You need wax mint here, lady, or somethin' else from one'a the City presses. I dunno what this-"

And then John is approaching, and he turns to wave the pamphlets at him instead. "Got some right here, boss!" he says, grinning the slightly predatory grin of a salesman who sees an easy mark. "Current up to 'bout six minutes ago, in fact. You know how it is. Damn doors don't wanna stay in the same place."

He's right. Even the door that Lewis came through, which was set into a wall just a few feet behind him, has vanished, replaced with blank brick.

"Only door maps're harder ta come by, boss," says the urchin, adopting an expression of mock-sadness. "Gotta charge more. It'll be a full bit for one'a those, an' it's buyer beware as to whether'r not the doors're still there." He looks down at the pile of pamphlets, then shakes his head and says, in an oily tone of voice, "Y'know, actually, it might be two bits. I'm down to my last one. And, y'know, with thirteen comin' fast... you're not the only one who's looking for a quick way out of the City. Nobody likes to be here when Tock and his boys come out."

LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
- Death, in Terry Pratchett's Reaper Man

Madverse Fearblogs
In The Shuffling Madness - Incomplete, Possible Reboot
Call The Schoolmaster - Complete
And Much Of Madness - Active
Where Murder Lies - Inactive
PM
proxiehunter
 Posted: Nov 22 2012, 06:48 AM

Favored Servant
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 22

QUOTE (Foolamancer @ Nov 22 2012, 12:23 AM)
The urchin stares at the quarter as if he has absolutely no idea what it's supposed to be. "Nah," he says. "You need wax mint here, lady, or somethin' else from one'a the City presses. I dunno what this-"

And then John is approaching, and he turns to wave the pamphlets at him instead. "Got some right here, boss!" he says, grinning the slightly predatory grin of a salesman who sees an easy mark. "Current up to 'bout six minutes ago, in fact. You know how it is. Damn doors don't wanna stay in the same place."

He's right. Even the door that Lewis came through, which was set into a wall just a few feet behind him, has vanished, replaced with blank brick.

"Only door maps're harder ta come by, boss," says the urchin, adopting an expression of mock-sadness. "Gotta charge more. It'll be a full bit for one'a those, an' it's buyer beware as to whether'r not the doors're still there." He looks down at the pile of pamphlets, then shakes his head and says, in an oily tone of voice, "Y'know, actually, it might be two bits. I'm down to my last one. And, y'know, with thirteen comin' fast... you're not the only one who's looking for a quick way out of the City. Nobody likes to be here when Tock and his boys come out."

"Well kid, I think I can give you two things to pay for that map. First, you can come with so you don't have to be here when the officer comes a calling. I'm sure the likes of you can come through a door too. Secondly I can always not tell the Paperboys I think you'd make a great front page story for tomorrows edition. How's that sound for payment?"
PM
GraciousVictory
 Posted: Nov 22 2012, 12:09 PM

Either the best or worst knight ever.

Group: Conspirator (IV)
Member No.: 20

"The door I came through is locked, sir, and I've little idea what to look for in a proper door." Antoinette says, not quite making eye contact with anyone, though turning a bit towards Lewis. She keeps looking at his hand. Trying to think of what she should do with it. What she could use to fix it up a bit, even without a first aid kit.

the jeanette experience:jeanette penny ten

other mythos: extra alastor abyzou caim crocodile ashleigh

finished: d charity carraway

danger time: typhon theseus echidna athena

other adventures: sasha irina alyssa

other other: destiny/shadowdestiny/mab
PM
Foolamancer
 Posted: Nov 22 2012, 10:29 PM

Lews' hand is broken, but the fingers themselves are intact. It's the bones in his palm that have cracked. And Antoinette can tell all of this - along with exactly how to set it, given basic materials and a few minutes - just from a glance. The hand itself will be disabled for a while, but at least it'll heal properly.

The urchin, on the other hand, stares at John like the writer is completely nuts. "What's outside'a the city isn't my business, boss," he says. "I'm just a map-seller." He waves the pamphlets. "'Sides, I'm not the one Tock and his boys are after."

As he speaks, out of the corner of their eyes, the three Awakened catch a glimpse of a brick wall sliding aside and a tired-looking Gideon stepping out, one crumpled, torn newspaper clutched in his fist. As he steps out, the wall slams shut behind him with a thump, blocking the view of his room.

Madverse Fearblogs
PM
TheSomnambulist
 Posted: Nov 23 2012, 12:19 AM

Wordweaver/Neurotic individual

Group: Conspirator (Som)
Member No.: 40

Lewis continues watching and The Urchin, John and Antoinette in silence. When Gideon arrives through a sliding wall Lewis backs away from the others slightly. "I have absolutely no idea what's going on here or what's being talked about. My hand hurts, This woman keeps looking at it and a man just stepped out of a wall..." He smiles and gives a quick laugh before sliding down to a sitting position and placing his head in his hand. The broken hand resting in his lap.

I'm not crazy I just use a different definition of sanity...

The Forum Blunt Instrument. "Because sometimes the only way to get through to someone is with a sledgehammer."

Archon of Chaos.

Leader of the Cult of Filik.

Amalgam series goes in this order
Prestidigitation>Urban Malefic>The World Through These Eyeholes>Cold and Lonely Days>Metaphysical Fiction and Dawghouse>No Gods No Masters>Unlikely World>Epilogic
>Cresting The Wave

Extra stories that tie into The Somniverse at points and are not linked in the stories.
Sing to me Songs of The darkness>The One and Only
Last Rites
PM
GraciousVictory
 Posted: Nov 23 2012, 02:00 AM

Antoinette frowns, and kneels in front of the teen.

"Hey there. My name's Annie. I'm a medical professional. If you'll let me, I can make sure your hand heals right and feels a little more comfortable for the time being."

PM
TheSomnambulist
 Posted: Nov 23 2012, 02:58 AM

Looks up at Antoinette. "You're a medical professional?" Hope obvious in his voice as he gently stretches out his hand to her but then pauses. "You're not going to turn into a monster or anything are you?"

The Forum Blunt Instrument. "Because sometimes the only way to get through to someone is with a sledgehammer."

Archon of Chaos.

Prestidigitation>Urban Malefic>The World Through These Eyeholes>Cold and Lonely Days>Metaphysical Fiction and Dawghouse>No Gods No Masters>Unlikely World>Epilogic
>Cresting The Wave

Extra stories that tie into The Somniverse at points and are not linked in the stories.
Last Rites
PM
GraciousVictory
 Posted: Nov 23 2012, 03:00 AM

Annie smiles. She's tired, but it's mostly genuine. "I solemnly swear that I'm not going to turn into a monster."

PM
TheSomnambulist
 Posted: Nov 23 2012, 03:09 AM

"Alright... You promised though." He stops thinking about what he just said and chooses to ignore the stupidity of this statement as he offers his hand to her.

Archon of Chaos.

>Cresting The Wave

Last Rites
PM
GraciousVictory
 Posted: Nov 23 2012, 03:15 AM

"Okay then." She says, and takes the hand.

Okay, what do I roll for my Exhaustion Power here, and how many Pain is against me?  Or do I need to roll?

PM
Foolamancer
 Posted: Nov 23 2012, 03:26 AM

CODE
Rolling isn't really necessary here. This isn't a conflict, and, in [i]Don't Rest Your Head[/i], only conflicts require rolls. If there were some force actively opposing the repairing of Lewis' hand, you would have to roll, but as it is, you're fine.

Exhaustion Talents, for future reference, can be activated in one of two ways.

A [b]Minor[/b] use requires only that you have at least one Exhaustion die in your pool (even if you add it just for that roll), and says that you score at least X number of successes, where X is the number of Exhaustion dice in the pool. If you score less than that, then the number is adjusted to match the number of Exhaustion dice you have. Since Minor uses cost nothing, it's expected that, pretty much any time you do something in line with your Exhaustion Talent, it'll be active.

A [b]Major[/b] use requires that you [i]add[/i] an Exhaustion die to activate it, even if you already added an Exhaustion die through the usual means. Instead of adjusting your score upward, it adds bonus successes equal to the number of Exhaustion dice in the pool.

Madverse Fearblogs
PM
GraciousVictory
 Posted: Nov 23 2012, 03:27 AM

Antoinette braces and sets Lewis's hand. She does a very, very good job of it, and is quick and professional.

PM
Foolamancer
 Posted: Nov 23 2012, 03:38 AM

...It feels too quick, too professional. Even if it is simple, it's a nasty break, and Annie is literally using bits of twine and wood that she found in the opening of the alleyway. And yet Antoinette manages to set the break perfectly in only a minute's time. It's too easy.

Madverse Fearblogs
PM
GraciousVictory
 Posted: Nov 23 2012, 03:43 AM

Antoinette stares at her hands in a bit of shock. She's not really sure how she did that so well, herself. She tries to suppress the shock, though, and kind of wishes her superiors could have seen her do that, just now.

PM
TheSomnambulist
 Posted: Nov 23 2012, 03:44 AM

Lewis winced slightly as she tended to his hand pulling it back as she finished. He examines his hand carefully before turning his attention back to her. "Thanks..." He mutters quietly and gets back up on his feet the momentary crack up of sanity defused by the event.

Obviously not in the game mechanic sense

Archon of Chaos.

>Cresting The Wave

Last Rites
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (5) 1 2 3 4 ... Last » Reply to this topicCreate New TopicCreate New Poll