Reply to this topicCreate New TopicCreate New Poll

Otso: Genus Unknown, Generavlog
DJay32
 Posted: Mar 23 2013, 08:08 PM

Sally Death
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 8

While watching EverymanHYBRID, a random idea popped into my head that I wanted to put into a vlog. Since I also had not yet figured out a solid idea for the unnamed Genera vlog I was planning on making, I decided to work them together and see what I could come up with.

So I've now got Otso: Genus Unknown. Otso is one of the many euphemisms used in Finnish mythology for "karhu," a name which must never be uttered out loud. It's all just referring to bears, because bears were sacred in Finnish mythology. xD "Otso" specifically means "browed one" but that's not particularly significant. It's basically referring to that common idea in the Slender Man and Fear Mythoi that the true name of a Fear is unknown and must never be uttered. And then "genus unknown" is rather obviously referring to the fact that this is a part of Topography Genera.

ANYWAY

With regards to those two videos I already have (that I will probably reupload to a standalone vlog channel), the 'bigger plot' for those is that there's a gang calling themselves _____ that are a part of the Moonchildren, and they start to run into some Fears they're not ready for. Christopher Daniels would be my character, and planned Fears were EAT, The Brute, The Empty City, and maybe The Archangel. That's still going, we're still gonna keep that one up.

But see, this is where that idea that popped into my head comes in, because the overall Otso story is going to be confusing. It could be simple, but if I go with this idea it would be represented in a confusing manner! And I would love to experiment with that. Without further ado:

Let's say we film three friends named Bob, Ted, and Alex, and they're goofing around with each other in a basement playing video games. Then suddenly they hear noises and go upstairs and there's a Fear. SUDDENLY the video cuts (or this would be the next video, either one) and now we see some adults/clearly other people in a park, but they refer to each other with those exact same names. This could continue to have as many different "sets" of characters who all refer to each other with the exact same names and no actual sign of crossover is necessary.

BUT THEN we see the first set of three friends. We see what's happening to them, a direct continuation. They fight the Fear, they run, some footage of them playing video games from the first video is spliced in cryptically. But every time they refer to each other, they clearly have different names. And it's not brought up, not questioned, nothing.

Basically, this would be a vlog where names don't matter. Names only obfuscate. And it fits in perfectly with the Otso idea, the idea that you can refer to the bear by its euphemisms but not by its original name, and it matches with the idea that Fears don't reveal their true names. PLUS it parallels Rapture in its insistence that names obfuscate.

And plus this way I could fit in as much cryptic nonsense as I wanted. -w-

BUT ALSO, as for the actual plot itself, I was thinking there'd be a group of protagonists who find a prophet saying FT-HOMUNCULI is coming and all that, and so they prepare for a rather Shaun of the Dead/Zombieland/John Dies at the End-esque apocalypse, packing as much absurd weaponry as they can think of, but when the madness does come, it's gruesome and horrible and depressing.

The multiple-names thing could also lend itself to the Cremator, and then I've also got a neat mental image of one of the final videos being a character or several waking up in a dark room with a Camper explaining to them that their lives had been an experiment. But the point is that no in-story explanation should be given for the name-deal unless maybe if it's at the end of the story.

If you want to maybe help out, simply by recording your own mumbo-jumbo (either as a side channel or as a part of the Otso channel itself) or by throwing out your own vlog ideas and seeing what we can do with them, feel free. That's what this thread is now for.

EXHIBITS:
Viceking's Graab (Step inside the maze. You could spend an eternity here.)
The Mythology of Empathy (Eight songs, nine tracks. Welcome death.)
Ancestor (Five tracks. Death of the Artist and Chinese mythology.)
Fear (A visual art exhibit in blog format.)
Nobody anymore, never again (Another visual art exhibit in blog format.)
The Everyblogger Triad: 1, 2, 3 (Embrace the bad writing, give into your psyche.)
PLAN 31 (Frank Slenderman: Ace Attorney)
OH GOD THE RAPTURE IS BURNING (400,000 words. Five months. All Fears. Excess. On fifth draft, not final.)
Topography Genera (15 blogs. Conventional horror. See seas rise.)
PM
alliterator
 Posted: Mar 23 2013, 09:37 PM

The Jerkface Man
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 7

I love the "multiple people with the same names" aspect. I'm not sure how you would go around doing an apocalyptic setting, however - that seems like something that would be easier in a text piece than in a vlog.

In any case, this sounds awesome.

Faces, Strange and Secret: An Anthology of Stories from da Fears Mythos: on sale from Amazon, Kindle, and Smashwords

My Finished Stories.

My Ongoing Stories:
Channel Fear (informational, educational, cynical)
The Supernatural Anaesthetist (seeing where science takes us)
Once There Was (the king is the kingdom)
An Old Man's Winter Night (at the winter of the world)
Unwashed and Somewhat Slightly Dazed (working for the man)
The Secret History of the World (unstuck in time)
Notes from the Underground (a place to stay)
Phantasmagorical (a bedtime story)
Paranoia: A Manifesto (wrecking the wall)
The Day The Music Died (running from sound and sorrow)
Abraham's Men (knights, ghosts, and shadows)
Pest Control (pulling the wings off of flies)
PM
DJay32
 Posted: Mar 23 2013, 11:57 PM

Sally Death
Group Icon

Fair point! It was a thought. I'll see what we can practically do. But it's more to do with the fact that this is HOMUNCULI, who is all about the future and fears of it. So at the very least, some of the protagonists will be people who believe in a coming apocalypse, thinking it will be something awesome where they can kick ass with makeshift weapons. And they'll even investigate for leads on the HOMUNCULI, planning on killing it, because all they know is that it's what's bringing the apocalypse.

..which gives me the idea of printing out a Fossil report of the FT-HOMUNCULI, which is where these guys would get that idea. But we don't actually have a HOMUNCULI post. xD What would we even put on it? "FT-HOMUNCULI is a series of legends revolving around an oncoming surge of technology and something called HOMUNCULI-1, 'The Tower?'"

EXHIBITS:
The Everyblogger Triad: 1, 2, 3 (Embrace the bad writing, give into your psyche.)
OH GOD THE RAPTURE IS BURNING (400,000 words. Five months. All Fears. Excess. On fifth draft, not final.)
PM
alliterator
 Posted: Mar 24 2013, 12:55 AM

The Jerkface Man
Group Icon

"FT-HOMUNCULI is a series of legends revolving around an oncoming surge of technology and something called HOMUNCULI-1, 'The Tower?'"

I would go with more "FT-HOMUNCULI appears to be a technological organism that infests and replicates itself using animate and inanimate matter" and then go on to talk about the legends and the "coming of the Tower."

Faces, Strange and Secret: An Anthology of Stories from da Fears Mythos: on sale from Amazon, Kindle, and Smashwords

My Finished Stories.

My Ongoing Stories:
PM
DJay32
 Posted: Mar 30 2013, 05:35 AM

Sally Death
Group Icon

Got another idea, gotta write it down somewhere.

One of the sets of protagonists, maybe even two sets, will set their story up to be a rather conventional vlog-type thing with lots of "talk directly to the camera" moments and things. And as it goes on, the events get more dramatic and surprising. And then this/these would be the set(s) that has the Camper reveal of "Your entire lives have been an experiment." The final video would be a compilation of "deleted scenes" from almost every single video in these sets, showing the characters knowing full well what they're doing and hinting that it was all staged, that their entire subplots (and, by extension, the viewer wonders if all the videos) were entirely set up by EAT. For dramatic effect.

LIKE TO GIVE AN EXAMPLE
Let's say that idea of the three guys hanging out and playing video games when a Fear shows up thing is what we're talking about here. They would have a video of, let's say, FT-CREMATOR killing one of them on-camera while the others run out screaming. The video ends after they run out. Their next video would be of one of the protagonists sobbing into the camera, talking about how their friend is now dead and they don't know what they're going to do, something is seriously wrong. Video ends with them still in tears.

And then, after the Camper "Your lives are all an experiment" reveal, probably even after all the subplots in the vlog have ended, the last video would include what happens directly after both the aforementioned scenes. The FT-CREMATOR one would show the characters running out, screaming, and then suddenly stopping and walking back inside casually, shaking hands with the Cremator, maybe their dead friend would get up like nothing ever happened (implying they were a Camper). Then it would show the end of the video of the character sobbing, and at the last second they'd crack a smile, look off-camera, and ask "How was that?"

Stuff like that, if that makes any sense. Really throw the viewer for a loop in terms of what was real and what wasn't. And then they'd think about it and realize that the reason any of this happened in the first place was because the viewers, themselves, are the test subjects. EAT's learning from their reactions. And then all of a sudden there's a bit of fourth-wall horror there.

EXHIBITS:
PM
alliterator
 Posted: Mar 30 2013, 11:16 PM

The Jerkface Man
Group Icon

Okay, I love that idea. That would be a thorough deconstruction of a Slender/Fearvlog, setting up one thing and then pulling the rug out from the viewers.

My Finished Stories.

My Ongoing Stories:
PM
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicCreate New TopicCreate New Poll