Reply to this topicCreate New TopicCreate New Poll

Dark Chao Adventures, Living life one step at a time since '05
DJay32
 Posted: Mar 11 2014, 10:14 AM

Sally Death
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 8

Said I'd make a thread for this, so here's the thread.

Dark Chao Adventures is an episodic script series I've been writing since I was ten. It started as a spur-of-the-moment thing, I made a thread on a forum called "Dark Chao Adventures" and the message was "All I can say is Episode 1: Chao In Space..." and people somehow replied with anticipation. So I decided then and there to write this thing.

Before I go any further with this ramble, I should probably clarify what chao are for those who don't know. They're basically virtual pets from the Sonic Adventure series, with DCA being based specifically on Sonic Adventure 2: Battle's system. Click this link for an unbelievably in-depth website talking about the system and providing lots of adorable pictures.

ANYWAY
Each season has eight episodes, most episodes have four or five chapters. The first three seasons had no overarching plots, though there was some level of consistency and canon to it. Starting with the third season finale, though, I began an arc I had initially planned on only lasting most of Season Four, and I pulled in villains I had introduced in an earlier episode (who themselves were references to beta episodes no one had even read). This wound up expanding into a plot that lasted all the way through Season Six, which was a season lasting ten episodes (bringing us all the way to Episode 50 which was a pretty lame episode). And yeah, that whole plot was basically "the chao have to beat those aforementioned beta villains," with Season Six having Shade (my favourite chao, a grey Dark chao who was for most of the series basically a self-insert) collect seven chaos drives to become a Dark/Swim chao so he could beat the bad guys and all that jazz.

By this point, my fandom and audience had kinda faded away because I mean even I was in 8th grade by this point, people eventually grow up and lose interest in chao. But I kept writing because here was a canon I could play with, here was a series I was comfortable writing with. It felt like more than fanfiction by that point. Plus DCA's how I wound up meeting Logic, Cadet, and Matsokune, so...

So I wrote more! I wrote Season Seven, which began with new villains who wanted to end DCA itself (the series has no fourth wall whatsoever), so a green chao I had always forgotten existed named Shadow had to step up to the plate as main protagonist, assisted by Shade and friends, to go on a very long arc to collect seven more chaos drives and become a Dark/Run chao so he can save the show. But the beta guys come back in and basically everything in the canon becomes relevant at some point during this adventure, and to top it all off I, the writer, am going through my abusive portion of my life and have to decide between writing for escapism and putting DCA aside-- and that conflict becomes a plot point too, no fourth wall and all that. Season Seven lasted twenty-nine episodes.

So then we come to Season Eight. By this point, a year had passed since I'd written any DCA. But I was in the Fear Mythos now, and I had gotten quite a bit of practice with writing. And by this point, Rapture was on a short break (this was just before the halfway point of Act III, as a matter of fact) so I needed to write something else to get some more perspective. I wound up writing the most eldritch of seasons, the most eldritch of finales, that I could ever think of, and arguably the most engaging and dramatic DCA had ever been. It wound up lasting.. six/nine episodes is the canonical length. But for the sake of convenience, let's say nine. I won't spoil all the details, but I will at least say a monster introduced in the Season Two finale wound up taking over the show, and over half the cast was killed off.

I thought the show was over. I had written the ending and everything. I didn't touch it for two years.

(IMG:http://25.media.tumblr.com/d9f27cb9ac86bc0a9fb71e5de2abffb4/tumblr_n29ldweK0H1qkceb9o1_1280.png)

And yet here we are. (Art by the wonderful Logic)

Episode 89: Ink on a Canvas

If for whatever reason you really want to see the writings of a young and obnoxious DJay, here's the total index of episodes.

Episode 90's on the way, as is more art.
...I won't lie, it feels damn good to be back.

EXHIBITS:
Viceking's Graab (Step inside the maze. You could spend an eternity here.)
The Mythology of Empathy (Eight songs, nine tracks. Welcome death.)
Ancestor (Five tracks. Death of the Artist and Chinese mythology.)
Fear (A visual art exhibit in blog format.)
Nobody anymore, never again (Another visual art exhibit in blog format.)
The Everyblogger Triad: 1, 2, 3 (Embrace the bad writing, give into your psyche.)
PLAN 31 (Frank Slenderman: Ace Attorney)
OH GOD THE RAPTURE IS BURNING (400,000 words. Five months. All Fears. Excess. On fifth draft, not final.)
Topography Genera (15 blogs. Conventional horror. See seas rise.)
PM
MythosWeaver
 Posted: Mar 11 2014, 12:45 PM

Fighter

Group: Members
Member No.: 180

I remember this!
Kickass! Was sad when it ended although that was a pretty awesome ending.

Along with my 1932823 Rapture fanfics I have about 5 or 6 DCA fanfics, should write them up.

I should type up a lot of things. I have so much writing that ive just done by hand but I dont have time because jobs and kids and stuff.

Anyway wonderful news dude!

PM
DJay32
 Posted: Jun 7 2015, 12:08 PM

Sally Death
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 8

Like a million years later, here's a new one.

Episode 90: What the Rain Said

EXHIBITS:
Viceking's Graab (Step inside the maze. You could spend an eternity here.)
The Mythology of Empathy (Eight songs, nine tracks. Welcome death.)
Ancestor (Five tracks. Death of the Artist and Chinese mythology.)
Fear (A visual art exhibit in blog format.)
Nobody anymore, never again (Another visual art exhibit in blog format.)
The Everyblogger Triad: 1, 2, 3 (Embrace the bad writing, give into your psyche.)
PLAN 31 (Frank Slenderman: Ace Attorney)
OH GOD THE RAPTURE IS BURNING (400,000 words. Five months. All Fears. Excess. On fifth draft, not final.)
Topography Genera (15 blogs. Conventional horror. See seas rise.)
PM
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicCreate New TopicCreate New Poll