Reply to this topicCreate New TopicCreate New Poll

The Topography Genera Center, Rough information and stuff
DJay32
 Posted: Dec 20 2011, 01:01 AM

Sally Death
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 8

Let's try to figure out some rough info.

The Topography Genera Center is a Fear-research facility stationed in four towns in four countries. Whether it's just researching the Fears or do worse than that is ambiguous, but I was thinking it had people trying to make technology that would do something.. really bad. Like, it might be trying to work with the Fears. Making dangerous technology, maybe even making The Manufactured Newborn. And more.

It has many branches and many levels of subordinates. The protagonists of Topography Genera Center East, Liquid Len and Duchess (and maybe alliterator's character) start off on pretty good footing but knowing very little about the actual motives of the facility.

Liquid Len is starting to get on thin ice for _________, and at some major point in the story, he will be framed for something and thrown in jail for some time. This coincides with his codename, a character in Genesis' "The Battle of Epping Forest" who.. was framed for something and thrown in jail.

The Genera has lost its North branch, but the people in the other branches don't know that. EAT has completely taken over the North branch, you see, and is trying to sneak its way into other branches.

I'll let you guys come up with stuff about the South and West branches. I want to do the North branch, and we can all do the East branch.

EXHIBITS:
Viceking's Graab (Step inside the maze. You could spend an eternity here.)
The Mythology of Empathy (Eight songs, nine tracks. Welcome death.)
Ancestor (Five tracks. Death of the Artist and Chinese mythology.)
Fear (A visual art exhibit in blog format.)
Nobody anymore, never again (Another visual art exhibit in blog format.)
The Everyblogger Triad: 1, 2, 3 (Embrace the bad writing, give into your psyche.)
PLAN 31 (Frank Slenderman: Ace Attorney)
OH GOD THE RAPTURE IS BURNING (400,000 words. Five months. All Fears. Excess. On fifth draft, not final.)
Topography Genera (15 blogs. Conventional horror. See seas rise.)
PM
alliterator
 Posted: Dec 20 2011, 01:56 AM

The Jerkface Man
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 7

Dr. Stanford Milgram is a research scientist studying human behavior. Specifically, human behavior around Fears. He would be kind of neutral; not evil, but not really good either. He just wants information.

Faces, Strange and Secret: An Anthology of Stories from da Fears Mythos: on sale from Amazon, Kindle, and Smashwords

My Finished Stories.

My Ongoing Stories:
Channel Fear (informational, educational, cynical)
The Supernatural Anaesthetist (seeing where science takes us)
Once There Was (the king is the kingdom)
An Old Man's Winter Night (at the winter of the world)
Unwashed and Somewhat Slightly Dazed (working for the man)
The Secret History of the World (unstuck in time)
Notes from the Underground (a place to stay)
Phantasmagorical (a bedtime story)
Paranoia: A Manifesto (wrecking the wall)
The Day The Music Died (running from sound and sorrow)
Abraham's Men (knights, ghosts, and shadows)
Pest Control (pulling the wings off of flies)
PM
DJay32
 Posted: Dec 20 2011, 02:12 AM

Sally Death
Group Icon

Will Doctor Milgram

1) post on the main blog or have his own?

2) have a code name? Liquid Len said "We all have one here." If you want, I could come up with a prog one for you. Or something, I dunno.

3) post before or after the blog officially launches?

EXHIBITS:
The Everyblogger Triad: 1, 2, 3 (Embrace the bad writing, give into your psyche.)
OH GOD THE RAPTURE IS BURNING (400,000 words. Five months. All Fears. Excess. On fifth draft, not final.)
PM
alliterator
 Posted: Dec 20 2011, 02:38 AM

The Jerkface Man
Group Icon

Well, "Stanford Milgram" sort of is a code name. It's named after the Stanford Prison Experiment and the Milgram experiment.

If I need a Prog code name, then...I have no idea.

And he would probably post on the main blog, but after it started. He may be a sort of antagonistic character.

Faces, Strange and Secret: An Anthology of Stories from da Fears Mythos: on sale from Amazon, Kindle, and Smashwords

My Finished Stories.

My Ongoing Stories:
PM
DJay32
 Posted: Dec 20 2011, 03:15 AM

Sally Death
Group Icon

Alright! That helps me pace things out a bit.

Possible Genera codenames are "Doctor Cloud," "Doctor Sky," "Doctor Circus," "Doctor Silent," all these doctor names and all based on Between the Buried and Me. xD

EXHIBITS:
PM
alliterator
 Posted: Dec 20 2011, 03:46 AM

The Jerkface Man
Group Icon

I like Doctor Cloud.

My Finished Stories.

My Ongoing Stories:
PM
DJay32
 Posted: Dec 20 2011, 04:08 AM

Sally Death
Group Icon

The Genera knows about Runners. And Fears are "officially" referred to as "Fossils," informally referred to as "Fears." The Fears, themselves, also call themselves Fears.

Personnel are not meant to talk about Runners to the public.

EXHIBITS:
PM
alliterator
 Posted: Dec 20 2011, 04:20 AM

The Jerkface Man
Group Icon

I don't think the Fears should call themselves Fears. I don't really think they should call themselves anything. If they refer to themselves as a group, it should probably be something like the AGGREGATE or the POLYAD (or something better and not stupid sounding).

My Finished Stories.

My Ongoing Stories:
PM
DJay32
 Posted: Dec 20 2011, 04:26 AM

Sally Death
Group Icon

Okay, Fears do not call themselves Fears, got it.

EXHIBITS:
PM
DJay32
 Posted: Jul 1 2012, 08:20 PM

Sally Death
Group Icon

For the Act III finale of OH GOD THE RAPTURE IS BURNING, I've gone and charted out a rough map layout thing of the Topography Genera Center. ..well, the North and South branches, but I think most of this can work for East and West as well.

(IMG:http://sunsettersblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/screen-shot-2012-07-01-at-9-03-04-pm.png)

Firstly, I don't know how well you can make things out on this, but I'll try to describe it. This is the Fossil Research building. Fossil Research has a ground floor and then 8 basement floors (B1-B8), though only the first four are known (down to B4) to the unclassified. GF, B1, B2, B3, and B4 all follow this layout pictured.

The two "legs" down there represent the mile-long hallways leading to and from Fossil Research (the rumours spread say they're that long in case a Fossil escapes, but it's actually in case a worker or test subject does). This is only on GF.

The actual building, let's take it from the top. Those five squares going horizontally at the top? The top-left is the employee break room, and the other four are test chambers. Those eight rectangular shapes in the middle-left, I.. am not 100% sure. They're just kinda there. I think I once had the idea of them being "Fossil containment," but I dunno! I feel like the Genera layout is missing something, so whatever that is, it can go there. The single rectangle below the eight small ones represents 40 office cubicles. Then that giant rectangle on the right, labelled "Alaska," is a giant test room designated for special purposes. And then there's a stairwell on the bottom-right and an elevator in the center.

I drew the deeper levels but they're simple enough that I can just describe them.

B5 and B6 are both the Runner holds, where captured Runners are imprisoned. The cell blocks, being very far down, can extend the length of that mile above-ground, and there are five cell blocks (A through E) as well as two floors for each. Very large.

B7 is the boiler room, also extending the full mile.

B8, I'm not too sure about. I think this one's entirely up to the higher-ups to decide, and it probably changes depending on the branch. The North branch would have the human testing down here, for instance. Other ideas I've had for this deepest floor: An expansive cavern going very far down, as if the Genera are digging for more space (or digging to reach something). A simple white prim office where the higher-ups stay. A holding area where particular Fossils are kept (or a meeting room for them). A laboratory where the wildest things are made (like FT-DGLGMUT).

..or maybe all/most of those can be B8. I think they'd have enough space, and it'd certainly allow for much exploration.

And then, above-ground and past that mile corridor, we have two or three simple multi-floor office buildings with simple office layouts and medical facilities. Then there's also the parking garage which, per The Supernatural Anaesthetist, extends four floors below ground and then also has B5 which has the single white corridor with eight doors, each leading to a place-a-majigger.

How does all that sound? Any suggestions, additions?

OH WAIT, about those eight rectangles in the upper Fossil Research! Those should probably be the medical facilities. I completely forgot about that.

EXHIBITS:
PM
alliterator
 Posted: Jul 1 2012, 08:27 PM

The Jerkface Man
Group Icon

Very awesome.

Okay, so Cloud's office and the B5 level where he works is not part of the Fossil Research center, but rather in a different office building. That totally works, considering the higher ups wouldn't want him knowing about the runner containment and some of the more illegal experiments.

My Finished Stories.

My Ongoing Stories:
PM
DJay32
 Posted: Jul 1 2012, 08:30 PM

Sally Death
Group Icon

I was thinking Doctor Cloud's normal office is in the General Genera (one of the facade office buildings up front), and his "higher-up" office is down below the parking garage. Because that's what the blog said. :c

..though it's pretty neat, this concept of the higher-ups working deeper down. The higher you are, the lower you go. Morally and literally.

I also had this idea of never showing where the higher-ups worked, just having them appear from time to time in the offices and then disappear somewhere. But I guess that depends on what level they are.

EXHIBITS:
PM
DJay32
 Posted: Jun 6 2013, 10:59 PM

Sally Death
Group Icon

After reading Franz Kafka's The Trial, I have been buzzing with ideas of how to approach the next several movements of Topography Genera. One of the most important ideas I've had is on how to address the Genera hierarchy.

So far, the focus has just been on "We're the workers and there's also a level of higher-ups who are mysterious." But now I want to expand on that, make it "We're the workers, and even our higher-ups have higher-ups, and even those higher-ups have higher-ups, and it goes higher than we could possibly imagine, higher than we would ever want to know."

And it would be revealed gradually, of course. I'm thinking Mordecai would open up to Liquid Len (as I've been trying to foreshadow lately anyway) and eventually tell him "I don't even know who my higher-ups are. They leave voice mail on my answering machine from time to time, or sometimes I might get a secretary coming in with a slip of paper that was apparently sent to me from higher up. But I don't even know any of their names. The only thing I've gathered is that someone named 'O.' is my immediate commanding officer, as that's the signature on the slips my secretary gives me."

Then over the course of the story Liquid Len would speak with many more co-workers and hear from other higher people like Blackcap who'd tell him conflicting stories, as all they know of the higher-ups is based on hearsay and superstition. There'd be tales of deeper basements in Fossil Research where they supposedly work, but no one would have any idea how to get to them. And even then, when Liquid Len eventually does get to go deeper down the rabbit hole, he'd see that the elevator shaft goes even further down than B8.

I mean, our readers would be able to figure out that the highest of the higher-ups are the Fossils themselves, but that's why I'm trying to establish a hierarchy to the Fossils as well. It's not a conventional hierarchy like the Genera has, but there's definitely a method to their madness. And it'd be implied that, yes, there are even "higher-ups" among the Fossils.

..though we the writers would probably have to know who the highest of the higher-ups are so we can keep things consistent. We just would never reveal it in the narrative.

EXHIBITS:
PM
alliterator
 Posted: Jun 7 2013, 11:53 PM

The Jerkface Man
Group Icon

I really like this idea because it has shades of Wolfram & Hart / the Senior Partners to me. If you haven't seen Angel, the main villains were a law firm called Wolfram & Hart and their bosses were the unseen Senior Partners, things that lived in some other dimension, or so the viewers (and Angel) thought. And then the episode "Reprise" happened and Angel had a chance to go to the "Home Office" to find the Senior Partners and...well, I kind of just want to post the entire scene:

Holland Manners: Congratulations. Great victory.
Angel: You're...
Holland: Holland Manners.
Angel: ...not alive.
Holland: Oh, no. I'm quite dead. [shows Angel the bite mark Darla left on his neck] Unfortunately my contract with Wolfram & Hart extends well beyond that. [smiles] Hop on in. You certainly earned it.
    [Angel enters the elevator]
Holland: Well, this is exciting, isn't it? Going straight to the source. So what's the big plan, Angel? Destroy the Senior Partners, smash Wolfram & Hart once and for all?
Angel: Something like that.
Holland: Hmm, now tell me just what do you think that would accomplish? In the end, I mean.
Angel: It'll be–the end.
Holland: Well, the end of you, certainly. But I meant in the larger sense.
Angel: In the larger sense, I really don't give a crap.
Holland: Now, I don't think that's true. Be honest–you got the tiniest bit of "give a crap" left. Otherwise you wouldn't be going on this kamikaze mission. Now let me see, there was something in a sacred prophecy, some oblique reference to you. Something you're supposed to prevent. Now what was that?
Angel: The apocalypse.
Holland: Yes, the apocalypse, of course. Another one of those. Well, it's true, we do have one scheduled. And I imagine if you were to prevent it you would save a great many people. Well, you should do that then. Absolutely! I wasn't thinking. [smiles] Of course, all those people you save from that apocalypse would then have the next one to look forward to, but hey, it's always something, isn't it?
Angel: You're not gonna win.
Holland: Well...no. Of course we aren't. We have no intention of doing anything so prosaic as "winning". [laughs]
Angel: Then why?
Holland: Hmm? I'm sorry, why what?
Angel: Why fight?
Holland: That's really the question you should be asking yourself, isn't it? See, for us, there is no fight. Which is why winning doesn't enter into it. We...go on, no matter what. Our firm has always been here...in one form or another. The Inquisition. The Khmer Rouge. We were there when the very first cave man clubbed his neighbor. See, we're in the hearts and minds of every single living being. And that, friend, is what's making things so difficult for you. See, the world doesn't work in spite of evil, Angel. It works with us. It works because of us.
    [elevator comes to a stop and the doors open, revealing Los Angeles]
Holland: Welcome to the Home Office.
Angel: This isn't...
Holland: Oh, you know it is. You know that better than anyone. Things you've seen. Things you've–well, done. You see, if there wasn't evil in every single one of them out there–why, they wouldn't be people. They'd all be angels.
    [Angel slowly walks out of the elevator]
Holland: Have a nice day.

My Finished Stories.

My Ongoing Stories:
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicCreate New TopicCreate New Poll