Pages: (5) 1 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicCreate New TopicCreate New Poll

Stanford Milgram, Doctor Cloud
DJay32
 Posted: Dec 21 2011, 10:31 PM

Sally Death
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 8

Name pending!

Stanford "Doctor Cloud" Milgram, played by alliterator, is a something-year-old somewhat-mad scientist working for the Genera. Details about him are scarce at this moment.

He is named for two scientific awesome things alliterator knows about, and his codename is named for Between the Buried and Me's "Fossil Genera (A Feed from Cloud Mountain)," a song about "the Night Owls" taking over Earth's governments and.. a lot of political allegories and stuff. I dunno. It sounded cool. xD

This thread is here so we can develop his character.

EDIT: I KNOW I GOT THE TOPIC TITLE BACKWARDS, SHUT UP

EXHIBITS:
Viceking's Graab (Step inside the maze. You could spend an eternity here.)
The Mythology of Empathy (Eight songs, nine tracks. Welcome death.)
Ancestor (Five tracks. Death of the Artist and Chinese mythology.)
Fear (A visual art exhibit in blog format.)
Nobody anymore, never again (Another visual art exhibit in blog format.)
The Everyblogger Triad: 1, 2, 3 (Embrace the bad writing, give into your psyche.)
PLAN 31 (Frank Slenderman: Ace Attorney)
OH GOD THE RAPTURE IS BURNING (400,000 words. Five months. All Fears. Excess. On fifth draft, not final.)
Topography Genera (15 blogs. Conventional horror. See seas rise.)
PM
alliterator
 Posted: Dec 25 2011, 05:22 AM

The Jerkface Man
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 7

Djay - you can include me in the blog now. The email for this character is stanfordmilgram@gmail.com.

Faces, Strange and Secret: An Anthology of Stories from da Fears Mythos: on sale from Amazon, Kindle, and Smashwords

My Finished Stories.

My Ongoing Stories:
Channel Fear (informational, educational, cynical)
The Supernatural Anaesthetist (seeing where science takes us)
Once There Was (the king is the kingdom)
An Old Man's Winter Night (at the winter of the world)
Unwashed and Somewhat Slightly Dazed (working for the man)
The Secret History of the World (unstuck in time)
Notes from the Underground (a place to stay)
Phantasmagorical (a bedtime story)
Paranoia: A Manifesto (wrecking the wall)
The Day The Music Died (running from sound and sorrow)
Abraham's Men (knights, ghosts, and shadows)
Pest Control (pulling the wings off of flies)
PM
DJay32
 Posted: Dec 25 2011, 05:24 AM

Sally Death
Group Icon

Sent. I was partially expecting you to make a separate blog for him, honestly. xD But I prefer having all our protagonists on one blog.

I do still want to make some kind of separate blog. A sort of second-era Topography of Thought, y'know?

EXHIBITS:
The Everyblogger Triad: 1, 2, 3 (Embrace the bad writing, give into your psyche.)
OH GOD THE RAPTURE IS BURNING (400,000 words. Five months. All Fears. Excess. On fifth draft, not final.)
PM
alliterator
 Posted: Dec 25 2011, 05:27 AM

The Jerkface Man
Group Icon

Actually, I was thinking of having Doctor Cloud post his experimental stuff on a separate blog. I was thinking of calling it "The Supernatural Anaesthetist."

Faces, Strange and Secret: An Anthology of Stories from da Fears Mythos: on sale from Amazon, Kindle, and Smashwords

My Finished Stories.

My Ongoing Stories:
PM
DJay32
 Posted: Dec 25 2011, 05:29 AM

Sally Death
Group Icon

the supernatural an

YOU ARE A VERY FINE YOUNG MAN, ALLITERATOR, DID YOU KNOW THAT?

I love that idea. ...do you, um. You saying that got me thinking, do you know all the symbology to The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, or should I give a quick briefer course? xD You might find it interesting. Actually, I'm sure you would.

EXHIBITS:
PM
alliterator
 Posted: Dec 25 2011, 05:39 AM

The Jerkface Man
Group Icon

You should give me a briefer course. All I know is the title sounded cool on Wikipedia. And the lyrics (according to YouTube) are:
Here comes the supernatural anaesthetist.
If he wants you to snuff it,
All he has to do is puff it
- he's such a fine dancer.

Oh, and Doctor Cloud's first post is up.

My Finished Stories.

My Ongoing Stories:
PM
DJay32
 Posted: Dec 25 2011, 06:12 AM

Sally Death
Group Icon

The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, 1974, is a concept album/rock opera and Genesis' first and only double album. The production has a lot of history behind it, enough to fill books that I have actually read.

Storywise, we have a lot of... crazy stuff. Oh god where to start.

(Note: Every single track's lyrics are just absolutely social commentary and what the fuck Peter Gabriel I love you, but I'm skimming most of that for these.)

"The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway:" Rael is a Puerto-Rican-American who is a rambunctious gangster, grew up on the streets of New York, doesn't give a damn, has a criminal record. He's just got finished spraypainting "RAEL Imperial Aerosol Kid" on some subway wall when he heads up the stairs and starts walkin' down to Times Square. On the way, he makes a lot of really witty social commentary, talented wordplay, and even sees a random lamb lying down on Broadway.

"Fly on a Windshield:" Suddenly, a giant grey solid cloud/wall of death lowers out of the sky and onto Times Square. Rael runs away, but the cloud expands, engulfing everything in its path. Eventually, dust catches on Rael and freezes him in place.

"Broadway Melody of 1974:" As Rael watches the cloud approach, he can see all life behind the cloud frozen in an eternal snapshot of New York's last seconds. More social commentary and cultural references ensue.

"Cuckoo Cuccoon:" Rael is engulfed in the cloud, and he wakes up in a dark cuccoon.

"In the Cage:" The cage dissolves, leaving Rael in a dark cave. The stalagmites and stalagtites grow, forming bars of a cage, and Rael sees multiple other cages outside his. The lyrics put it best here: "Outside the cage, I see my brother John. He turns his head so slowly round. I cry out 'HELP' before he can be gone, and he looks at me without a sound. And I shout out 'JOHN PLEASE HELP ME' but he does not even want to try to speak. I'm helpless in my violent rage, and a silent tear of blood dribbles down his cheek, and I watch him turn again and leave the cage. My little runaway." As John leaves, the cage dissolves, and without any reason, Rael's body is left spinning like a top.

"The Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging:" Rael finds himself in a factory where humans are turned into clocks and objects and stuff. He's left staring into the faces of people he once knew and loved.

"Back in NYC:" Outside the factory, Rael finds a perfect recreation of New York City, albeit underground and deserted. Wandering the streets, we're treated to a flashback developing more of Rael's character. He had a hard life and stuff, and he's just really hurt inside because society.

"Hairless Heart:" Beautiful instrumental segueing the previous song into the next one. :D

"Counting Out Time:" More flashbacks! Rael had a terrible romantic life, to the point where he bought a book to try to help. Yeaaaah, it didn't. And so Rael was left "cuddling the porcupine," "shaving his hairless heart." ...fapping.

"The Carpet Crawlers:" The recreation of New York ends, and Rael finds a series of dark corridors filled with living creatures of imaginative sorts, some frozen in carbonite and stuff. A series of monks on the ground tell him the only way to leave this underground place is to go up a spiral staircase in the next room.

"The Chamber of 32 Doors:" Up the stairs, Rael finds himself in a crowded room with doors on every wall, doors all the way down the horizon (so "32" was most likely incorrect xD). Social commentary and stuff, Rael starts to lose hope of ever finding his way out...

"Lilywhite Lilith:" ...until he encounters a Lilith! Greek mythology, yay! The Lilith asks Rael to help her through the crowd and promises to show him the right door. He takes her, she takes him. Rael is led to a pitch-black cave, where he's told to sit on a stone bench. "They're coming for you now, don't be afraid." She leaves him.

"The Waiting Room:" A loud whirring sound is heard, and two golden globes float into the room, filling the cave with a blinding white light. Both the sound and the sight intensify until Rael, in anger, grabs a rock and throws it at the globes, shattering them. The roof caves in, leaving Rael buried in rubble.

"Anyway:" Rael laments on his unexciting death, saying he would have preferred to have died in some spectacular event, like being sent to space. Beautiful wordplay and stuff.

"The Supernatural Anaesthetist:" Death, himself, appears to Rael. Instead of really doing anything, Death merely puffs a gas into Rael's face and disappears. Somehow, this allows Rael the strength to get up out of the Rael, where he is left with this strange scent in the air.

"The Lamia:" The scent leads Rael down to a quiet room lit by chandelier, where a gorgeous pool awaits. He strips and enters, and in come "three vermillion snakes of female face, the smallest motion filled with grace." These are the Lamia of Greek mythology. They begin to nibble away at his flesh, but he feels no pain; "only a magic a name would stain." The moment his blood drops into the water, their faces convulse and the Lamia die. In traditional Greek mythology-esque fashion, Rael decides the best course of action would be to eat the Lamia's corpses and then leave. As he leaves, he turns and sees the room 'resetting' to its former glory...

"Silent Sorrow in Empty Boats:" Quiet instrumental allowing Peter Gabriel time to slip into a special costume on-stage for the next song.

"The Colony of Slippermen:" The Arrival: Rael finds himself in a grotto of bizarre and grotesque creatures covered in warts and lumps and chins. One slipperman tells Rael that they are all victims of the Lamia's ruse, and Rael, too, is now one of them. Rael finds his brother John, also a slipperman, and John tells him the only way to free themselves would be to get themselves.. castrated! A Visit to the Doktor: "Doktor Dyper, reformed sniper, he'll whip off your windscreen wiper." Castration. The Raven: Rael and John are human again, but a giant blackbird swoops down and snatches Rael's removed 'item' from his very hands! John decides to walk away and leave him as Rael pursues the raven.

"The Ravine:" The 'object' is dropped into an underground ravine.

"The Light Dies Down on Broadway:" As Rael walks along the gorge's edge, he sees a window in the empty space above him opening a pathway back to New York City. But wait, down below, John is drowning in the river! Will it be freedom or his brother?

"Riding the Scree:" Rael chooses John.

"In the Rapids:" Rael saves John. As they lay on solid ground, Rael flips John over to look at him, but wait! "Something's changed: That's not your face; it's mine. It's mine!"

"It:" Rael's consciousness switches from his face to his other face, back again, and back again, constantly switching between consciousness until it is eventually outside both bodies, looking in. His consciousness sees everything in the background dissolving into a yellow haze, and eventually, the two bodies dissolve into this, as well.

Words cannot express how simple of an explanation of the story this was. This was a rather.. literal interpretation of the lyrics, but there's just so much more to it than that. Hell, if you really wanted, you could read The Annotated Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, which analyzes at much greater detail the lyrics and Peter Gabriel's liner notes.

..but yeah. It's a really fascinating story, by far. It inspired a huge part of my writing. And it continues to amaze me every time I read it. There's a lot of symbology to it, a lot of double entendres and deeper meanings.

EXHIBITS:
PM
alliterator
 Posted: Dec 25 2011, 06:31 AM

The Jerkface Man
Group Icon

Hmm. I'm going to have to think some things over - this is all very interesting. Especially since Doctor Cloud is doing a lot of experimentation, some of it human experimentation.

My Finished Stories.

My Ongoing Stories:
PM
DJay32
 Posted: Dec 25 2011, 06:36 AM

Sally Death
Group Icon

FOR THE SAKE OF THIS THREAD, and for the sake of getting it all right, I am going to post the lyrics to Between the Buried and Me's "Fossil Genera (A Feed from Cloud Mountain)." ...only listen to the song if you really think you can stand what most people refer to as "excessive progression." And the vocals. I love these guys, but they're not for everyone.

Beyond the satellites:
Sweet candy populous... a worry free entrance into the world's history.
Never underestimate... never think beyond their thoughts.
The satellites have been trapped and Cloud Mountain will carry on the commands of our ancestors.

Indeed we work from here. We have for centuries... hearing every breath... watching every disease.
(You must accept this truth)

Below the satellites:
The leaders are driving to the farthest retreat. Sit back, relax, enjoy the ride.
They have been speaking for years.
Every night while you are asleep they have been discussing what the future holds for us all.
The outer space takeover. Worlds collide in a dreary pre-determined idea brought by our fellow night owls.
Their stories have been mocked... their ideas have been crushed... but after last night they control every idea we will think from here on out.

A government overthrown...
We have come to tell you all that we could have prepared for this.

The night owl speaks overhead:
The apocalypse (at least our apocalypse) will happen sooner than we think if we don't read the journals our station has prepared for you all.
We call ourselves the "night owls".
We've roamed the earth for years and kept your world afloat.
We've made it so you stay comfortable in your precious homes.
While you sleep,we discuss. Discuss our future... your future.

Our journals give detailed instructions on the machines and weapons we must build.
These are weapons that none of you would even begin to think could harm the outside world...
Everything you know is false... your first instinct is now your last.
Like I've said before... we have been discussing and planning this for decades.
(Trust is essential)
We don't have time to explain everything, but just know that everything will soon change.

Trust us and we will all be safe. We are the new government.

Before the satellites:
In simple times we must take control.
With simple skies we create... more sky.
A simple land we must change... for man... is god.
A simple life we must break... Move forward
How fast we grow...
We must move on.

I mean, who knows, these lyrics might give you ideas for Doctor Cloud's character or something. Since he is named for the song, and everything. And the whole facility was partly named after it.

EXHIBITS:
PM
alliterator
 Posted: Dec 25 2011, 06:44 AM

The Jerkface Man
Group Icon

The apocalypse (at least our apocalypse) will happen sooner than we think if we don't read the journals our station has prepared for you all.

Oh god. This is awesome.

One of the many ideas I had in my notebook of ideas? "Our apocalypse vs theirs."

Two opposing groups, each trying to bring about their own version of the apocalypse. The Genera Center...and itself? Divisions within divisions.

Goddammit ideas get out of my brain.

My Finished Stories.

My Ongoing Stories:
PM
DJay32
 Posted: Dec 25 2011, 06:50 AM

Sally Death
Group Icon

Listening to the song again and contemplating the lyrics, I realize that yeah, these could easily apply to a direction the story could go.

I was thinking the "Night Owls" are the/a Fear(s) that want to control/end/both the world, and they've "coerced" the Genera into helping with it. Which is why the Genera is building a vessel for the Newborn. Then we'd also have EAT over in the North branch with her own motives, and who knows what other Fears.

I want Topography Genera to really show a lot of the Grand Game going on. There'll be a different name for it than just "the Grand Game," but.. yeah, you get what I'm saying!

Maybe the Genera would be trying to become a huge part of the government. One thing I immediately thought of was "Trust us (and) we will (all) be safe; we are the new government." And then the Fear behind the "New Genera" would show itself.

EXHIBITS:
PM
alliterator
 Posted: Dec 25 2011, 06:58 AM

The Jerkface Man
Group Icon

Well, the Fears aren't really known for working with each other. So the one bankrolling the Genera Center is working towards a different goal than the Newborn which has a different goal than EAT. So that's "our apocalypse vs theirs."

By the way, we need to think up cool code names for each Fear.

By the way by the way, Doctor Cloud might be keeping an unimprinted Camper in a cell somewhere. Just to observe it.

My Finished Stories.

My Ongoing Stories:
PM
DJay32
 Posted: Dec 25 2011, 07:04 AM

Sally Death
Group Icon

But we'd need a way for the people behind the new vessel to know about the Manufactured Newborn. I don't want them to just "suddenly know" because of Newborn "influence."

Maybe a Fear-- say, Archie-- tells them to make a specific vessel-- the Genera doesn't even have to know it's for the Newborn, just the Fear would-- because of a Xanatos Gambit. They figure that, if they bring the Newborn back into the world, it would be beneficial to them, as well. Maybe the protagonists would be so caught up in trying to prevent/stop the Newborn that they wouldn't notice the Fear behind the scenes. They'd just think it's the Genera being a sneaky organization. Or EAT.

And yeah, that was a part I was really looking forward to. >W< Slendy'll probably be "Birchman" just because prog. You can come up with whatever you want; just leave EAT to me. I need to come up with an EAT name that is not a story-reference and can start with "The." And isn't "Ichor."

EXHIBITS:
PM
alliterator
 Posted: Dec 25 2011, 08:48 AM

The Jerkface Man
Group Icon

Okay, The Supernatural Anaesthetist has been launched. In the beginning, it's going to be sort of SCP like.

My Finished Stories.

My Ongoing Stories:
PM
DJay32
 Posted: Dec 25 2011, 09:02 AM

Sally Death
Group Icon

Fuck yeah, that's perfect. :D

EXHIBITS:
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (5) 1 2 3 ... Last » Reply to this topicCreate New TopicCreate New Poll