Reply to this topicCreate New TopicCreate New Poll

The Endless Obsession, Of Apollo, Dionysus, and Selkie
DJay32
 Posted: Mar 14 2012, 12:31 AM

Sally Death
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 8

So Testing in Progress will have a sequel/spiritual successor focusing on Selkie moreso than before. It will be called The Endless Obsession, and I've got some really neat ideas.

The Duke Suite

Genesis has a suite of songs on their album Duke ("Behind the Lines," "Duchess," "Guide Vocal," "Turn it on again," "Duke's Travels," "Duke's End") that are said to be a part of a suite. They tell a strangely tragic (for Genesis) tale of losing your lover, your fame, your guide/mentor/help, and ultimately, your sanity. This is a suite that is rarely talked about, and I want to pull it to the public eye.

So the Duke suite's motifs will be expanded upon both in Duchess' arc (probably) and in The Endless Obsession. What more, "Duchess" and "Turn it on again" both extensively feature motifs talked about in Between the Buried and Me's "Selkies: The Endless Obsession." So.. ha, it's perfect!

The Books of Cygnus X-1

Rush released a duo of epic songs titled "Cygnus X-1" (subtitled "Book I: The Voyage") and "Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres." The Voyage told of a hero traveling in space to the black hole of Cygnus X-I to be lost in it, and Hemispheres told of the protagonist finding himself in Olympus. He meets Greek Gods Apollo and Dionysus, who are having a nasty conflict. Apollo's followers worship the intellect, whereas Dionysus's followers worship the emotions, and neither will compromise, so they're at war. The protagonist teaches them that they can have both intellect and emotion, and so he is dubbed "Cygnus, the God of Balance."

So I'm going to have the protagonist of The Endless Obsession go on an ethereal voyage-- not into space, but into a Door. There, (s)he will see the land of the Gods, the land of the Fears. (S)He will see the Fear with much focus on intelligence at war with the Fear with much focus on emotion. That's right, EAT and The Dying Man. And the protagonist will get them to compromise, bettering themselves for the sake of being better at killing people.

Selkie

And I'm thinking of that protagonist being Selkie, who is a nasty balance of intelligence and emotion. But I literally just this second thought of something: What if the protagonist becomes Selkie? What if our Selkie is a sort of..... dynasty of sorts, a monarchy? And this protagonist is tasked with overthrowing/inheriting the "Selkie" title and the living wooden coffin?

I've already decided on a lot of stuff for Selkie. Selkie has a clear hierarchy of power to her. She controls 320 servants. There are five "ArchDolls" (name pending), each having eight regular Dolls, and each Doll having eight Puppets. And of course, Selkie gets total control over every one of them.

Where It All Comes Together

And yes, I'm seriously suggesting the protagonist who settles the conflict of EAT and The Dying Man will become the new Wooden Girl. I think it'd be a really interesting tale.

What more, the Duke suite would still be there in terms of motif. The protagonist (definitely a female) would lose a lover because she's gone through a Door, rise to fame because of her resolving of the conflict, and as Selkie, she'd rule for a bit before finding that people are trying to overthrow her. And she'd lose the support of everyone she ever had.

Second Thoughts

..maybe the protagonist wouldn't become a new Selkie, but that idea's still out there. Maybe she thinks she is, but the real Selkie had it all planned from the start?

And maybe this story would end with the protagonist escaping all the Fears, only to leave The Empty City and be stuck as a Nightlander, allowed only to watch her former lover. A sad ending.

What do you think? (And yes, Love has already told me she'd love to voice Selkie again, and she'll do as many lines as I want.)

EXHIBITS:
Viceking's Graab (Step inside the maze. You could spend an eternity here.)
The Mythology of Empathy (Eight songs, nine tracks. Welcome death.)
Ancestor (Five tracks. Death of the Artist and Chinese mythology.)
Fear (A visual art exhibit in blog format.)
Nobody anymore, never again (Another visual art exhibit in blog format.)
The Everyblogger Triad: 1, 2, 3 (Embrace the bad writing, give into your psyche.)
PLAN 31 (Frank Slenderman: Ace Attorney)
OH GOD THE RAPTURE IS BURNING (400,000 words. Five months. All Fears. Excess. On fifth draft, not final.)
Topography Genera (15 blogs. Conventional horror. See seas rise.)
PM
alliterator
 Posted: Mar 14 2012, 12:47 AM

The Jerkface Man
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 7

hat if our Selkie is a sort of..... dynasty of sorts, a monarchy? And this protagonist is tasked with overthrowing/inheriting the "Selkie" title and the living wooden coffin?

Lizard Bite already had a similar idea: the Wooden Girl grooms a replacement body for herself, called the "Princess of Puppets." This is based on Karen's diary from the Puppet's Game, where they were trying to persuade Grace/Karen into becoming the Princess of Puppets.

The previous Princess of Puppets would have been Charlotte, of course, since she is the current body of the Wooden Girl. (Perhaps. Or perhaps the Wooden Girl has multiple bodies, each one a girl encased in wood. Perhaps that's what happens to the protagonist at the end of the Endless Obsession.)

Anyway: this all looks awesome.

Faces, Strange and Secret: An Anthology of Stories from da Fears Mythos: on sale from Amazon, Kindle, and Smashwords

My Finished Stories.

My Ongoing Stories:
Channel Fear (informational, educational, cynical)
The Supernatural Anaesthetist (seeing where science takes us)
Once There Was (the king is the kingdom)
An Old Man's Winter Night (at the winter of the world)
Unwashed and Somewhat Slightly Dazed (working for the man)
The Secret History of the World (unstuck in time)
Notes from the Underground (a place to stay)
Phantasmagorical (a bedtime story)
Paranoia: A Manifesto (wrecking the wall)
The Day The Music Died (running from sound and sorrow)
Abraham's Men (knights, ghosts, and shadows)
Pest Control (pulling the wings off of flies)
PM
alliterator
 Posted: Mar 14 2012, 12:49 AM

The Jerkface Man
Group Icon

Faces, Strange and Secret: An Anthology of Stories from da Fears Mythos: on sale from Amazon, Kindle, and Smashwords

My Finished Stories.

My Ongoing Stories:
PM
DJay32
 Posted: Mar 14 2012, 01:26 AM

Sally Death
Group Icon

The blog will focus extensively on Selkie and her domain, her kingdom of puppets. I'm pulling all the stops here and trying to make a great story, for the record. I want to follow Testing in Progress with something really fucking good.

I know of Lizard Bite's ideas and came up with mine simultaneously by coincidence. It just took me this long to find a story I really wanted to apply it to. The big difference between our theories is that his Wooden Girl's Puppets and Dolls have no order, as he thinks The Wooden Girl would want to be the only one with control. My Wooden Girl is a control and order-obsessed entity, so she wants absolute order. She still gets absolute control, but when she's not involved, there is still order.

Very well, the protagonist will not become the next Selkie. She will simply think she is and be treated with high power just to fool her.

The blog will be narrated by Selkie, and it will be told almost as if it's a fable at first, like.. Fear Mythology or something. The conflict of the Gods, solved by a mortal! The mortal ascends to God status!

And then, when the protagonist is the ruler of all these Puppets and Dolls, the plot turns into Julius Caesar. Spliced between the posts of the fable would be side posts of Selkie detailing her kingdom, and every now and then, we'd have posts by Doll conspirators who are complaining of Selkie's insanity.

Selkie, then, grants the protagonist the "Cygnus" status as ruler of a great people. And we're treated to more talks from the conspirators, complaining of Selkie's seemingly-arbitrary and pointless decision. Dionysus even gets involved when the conspirators convince him to aid them in assassinating Cygnus.

Then we'd get the "Et tu, Dying Man" and all that, and Selkie would play the Mark Antony and Augustus parts, just in that she'd gain power again and deliver a rousing speech to get the conspirators killed.

It would end with the fall of Dionysus (and the other conspirators), with Selkie revealing she planned all this just to prove she was the only Mistress the Puppets should ever dare obey (further hinting that she really is insane, proving the point of the conspirators in the opening lines and coming full circle), and with the protagonist waking up in her home and running to her lover only to find he doesn't recognize her, for she is now a shadow.

I think the death of The Dying Man would work. Plus, Dionysus is a "Dying God." He dies and is resurrected, just as Dionysus is Fossil-Type LAZARUS, and.. that's resurrection! So later in the Topography Genera story, he becomes LAZARUS.

...THIS IS ACTUALLY A REALLY GOOD PLOT, I'm definitely doing this. We'd have many points of view, and I like that. And yes, for this, EAT is more of a minor character. But the ending is also supposed to hint that, now that Selkie has taken Dionysus down, she's gonna wage war with EAT.

EXHIBITS:
The Everyblogger Triad: 1, 2, 3 (Embrace the bad writing, give into your psyche.)
OH GOD THE RAPTURE IS BURNING (400,000 words. Five months. All Fears. Excess. On fifth draft, not final.)
PM
alliterator
 Posted: Mar 14 2012, 01:50 AM

The Jerkface Man
Group Icon

The blog will be narrated by Selkie, and it will be told almost as if it's a fable at first, like.. Fear Mythology or something. The conflict of the Gods, solved by a mortal! The mortal ascends to God status!

I love this idea.

Also reminds me of my own Wooden Girl fable.

My Finished Stories.

My Ongoing Stories:
PM
DJay32
 Posted: Mar 14 2012, 05:27 AM

Sally Death
Group Icon

Okay, time for alliterator to play The Camper in The Endless Obsession!

"Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV. I have no need for such futile things as feelings; knowledge is all you need to reign a brilliant and bright life! It's obvious to me, obvious to us, should be obvious to you. Five million feet of logic between the buried and me!"

This one's a script, so.. just do the lines labelled "EAT," please.

Dionysus: The lass is right.
EAT: Our conflict is moot.
Dionysus: We thank you, young mortal!
EAT: We will call you Cygnus; the God of balance, you shall be!

Cygnus is pronounced "Sig-nus," for the record. And that's all the lines EAT has in the entire blog! xD

EXHIBITS:
PM
alliterator
 Posted: Mar 14 2012, 05:48 AM

The Jerkface Man
Group Icon

My Finished Stories.

My Ongoing Stories:
PM
DJay32
 Posted: Mar 14 2012, 05:56 AM

Sally Death
Group Icon

"We will call you cygnus" leads to "Our conflict is moot."

EXHIBITS:
PM
alliterator
 Posted: Mar 14 2012, 06:03 AM

The Jerkface Man
Group Icon

Gah, something is wrong with my C button. It doesn't copy when I want it to copy. Fixed.

My Finished Stories.

My Ongoing Stories:
PM
DJay32
 Posted: Mar 14 2012, 06:12 AM

Sally Death
Group Icon

Perfect, I'll be sure to use these.

EXHIBITS:
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicCreate New TopicCreate New Poll