Reply to this topicCreate New TopicCreate New Poll

Bioshock Ideas, Where to Next?
Dr0Shadow
 Posted: Aug 27 2015, 12:50 AM

He Who Walks Between The Worlds

Group: Members
Member No.: 408

Okay, I've been searching the web for this and i was wondering what you guys' two cents are on this. To put it simply: What would you like to see in the next "Shock" game, whether its Bio or System. Return to old place or new places i don't care, just put them in and lets see what we get.
PM
Dr0Shadow
 Posted: Aug 27 2015, 12:26 PM

PM
Hexillith
 Posted: Aug 27 2015, 02:43 PM

Bat One
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 397

SHODAN

SHDOAN returning to earth and staking out her kingdom

SHODAN vs. GLaDOS, idgaf, I just want SHODAN.

Unseelie - The place where giants rule

Journal of the days after - Torn from xer awful embrace

Mene, Mene, Tekel, Upharsin - Read it and weep

Our Cyclical Dance - Endlessly in on itself

I'm on Tumblr and DeviantArt.

So look at the fleeting stars with fleeting eyes, and feel how the earth beneath you gives. It is all a temporary manifestation of particles, and it is all unraveling back to particulate silence. The bustle of the human day will come and will go. And then there will be night. -WtNV
PM
Dr0Shadow
 Posted: Aug 28 2015, 09:41 PM

Okay. SHODAN. AI with a god(dess) complex. So at least one of the concepts we come up with has to do with a System Shock sequel.

As it seams that no one is going to come up with topics of there own, heres some (very) basic ideas for you guys to build on:
New Locations
New Plasmid/Tonic/Vigor/Nostrums (names for the new ones and the abilities affects, appearance, and name)
New Enemies
ETC.
PM
DJay32
 Posted: Aug 30 2015, 10:13 AM

Sally Death
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 8

What I want is what I suspect the creators may be already going in the direction of: More experimentation with the storytelling of gaming. Bioshock Infinite, which unlike 2 was actually made by the creators of the damn thing, has been cited as having a focus more on interpretation than on actual literalness-- or here let me just give the quote

QUOTE (Wikipedia)
]To this end, Levine avoided providing an authoritative final answer regarding the game's ending, replying "What actually matters is what people think. Why does my interpretation matter more than yours?" Acknowledging that Infinite‍ '​s themes left fans debating and frustrated, Levine was nevertheless satisfied by the game's opacity, stating that it was his intent, and compared the game's interpretation of quantum mechanics to some of his favorite films 2001: A Space Odyssey, Fight Club, The Master, Miller's Crossing, and There Will Be Blood. Rob Crossley of CVG stated that "To [Levine], the [game's] Many Worlds Theory is a storytelling device; one that gives his narrative something unique in games yet celebrated in film: interpretability.

Seeing the progression from the games Levine has actually worked on, and remembering very distinctly my own playthrough of Infinite and how the little bit of studying I did do greatly helped my interpretation (Bioshock's portrayal Rapture was 100% scientifically possible as a city in that time period, Infinite's portrayal of Columbia was not, and it was impossible in some really blatant ways, leading me to believe this was completely intentional and a nod towards the other really obvious suggestion: Infinite takes place entirely in Booker's head, which adds all kinds of wonderful spins on the war museum level and, of course, the ending, but I mean look what is the very first thing said in the game, the thing that is even in the centre of the alternate cover's back? "The mind of the subject will struggle to create memories where none exist." The whole focus of Infinite's narrative, in all of its fragmentation and evasion and projection, was never on the science fiction implications but always first and foremost on the worlds of the mind, the way the mind works, the signs and symbols of the mind. And with this, a playthrough of the first Bioshock takes on deeper meanings. This is also why I happen to think Infinite is a bit of a masterpiece, but I digress.)

So. What I would like to see in the next Bioshock, I honestly have no opinion on the matter, as long as it continues this game-by-game experimenting with how video games can explore storytelling. Which I personally believe it will, as long as Levine is writing it.

..but if I had to throw in a more definable answer, I dunno, I'd like something as iconic and terrifying as a Big Daddy-- but not as big or single as the Songbird, as that thing only showed up during entirely scripted events which lessened a lot of the impact for me.

EXHIBITS:
Viceking's Graab (Step inside the maze. You could spend an eternity here.)
The Mythology of Empathy (Eight songs, nine tracks. Welcome death.)
Ancestor (Five tracks. Death of the Artist and Chinese mythology.)
Fear (A visual art exhibit in blog format.)
Nobody anymore, never again (Another visual art exhibit in blog format.)
The Everyblogger Triad: 1, 2, 3 (Embrace the bad writing, give into your psyche.)
PLAN 31 (Frank Slenderman: Ace Attorney)
OH GOD THE RAPTURE IS BURNING (400,000 words. Five months. All Fears. Excess. On fifth draft, not final.)
Topography Genera (15 blogs. Conventional horror. See seas rise.)
PM
TeaTimeTraitor
 Posted: Aug 30 2015, 12:09 PM

They/Them/Theirs (Genderqueer)

Member No.: 418

It'd be nice if they left the series alone for the time being

The three main games that have come out of the Bioshock series have had some pretty solid story telling, some inventive stuff thrown around, and gorgeous graphics. (Okay, occasionally glitchy, but shhhh)

...but at the same time, I dunno, perhaps I sound horribly fuddy-duddy about this whole thing, but I'd love to see something different coming out of the studio.

The Bioshock series is nice...but it'd be nice to see a non-[asthetic of some variant] punk based game out of the writers

('cause seriously, Infinte was a very nice/subtle/non-Victoriana steampunk and the two Rapture based Bioshock games are very overtly dieselpunk)

~ Pulling off Masks (complete) ~ Tea Time with the Traitor (on hiatus) ~ Mine Eyes Have Seen (active)

One day I'll actually finish up everything else, as well
PM
Dr0Shadow
 Posted: Aug 30 2015, 02:26 PM

@DJay: I think they did a good job with Infinite (and 2 fro that matter i don't know why 2 gets so much hatred), although the earlier ideas they had would have made the game much more interesting. Here's basically all the good stuff they left out: http://voyagesextraordinaires.blogspot.com...could-have.html http://bioshock.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Bi...Removed_Content

As for the content in the game, I agree they wanted to make it more have more of a "magic"y feel, but if you look deep enough, it think one can find somewhat haze (DANG IT IRRATIONAL) explanations, like the ghosts basically being Schrodinger's cats, more dead then alive, but still.

@Sqeek (hope I spelled that right): There's that XCOM game that tricked people into thinking it was going to be a bioshock game that's coming out. I know they need to branch out, but the point of the thread is to come up with our own bioshock/system shock ideas (sorry if that sounded mean).
PM
Dr0Shadow
 Posted: Aug 30 2015, 05:05 PM

First, Location ideas:
GO!...NOW!...hello?
PM
DJay32
 Posted: Aug 31 2015, 10:26 AM

Sally Death
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 8

I have no honest care about location. I'd be perfectly happy with a Bioshock set entirely in a 1980s office building.

But I do feel the compulsion to share that, when I first watched my brother play through Bioshock, I was underwhelmed by the plot twists at the time, and I had the following exchange with him:

Me: You know what would have been a better twist?
Nathan: What?
Me: If it turned out, this whole time, you were never actually underwater.
[Nathan pauses]
Nathan: ..Jordan, I'm surprised. That actually would have been a twist.

EXHIBITS:
Viceking's Graab (Step inside the maze. You could spend an eternity here.)
The Mythology of Empathy (Eight songs, nine tracks. Welcome death.)
Ancestor (Five tracks. Death of the Artist and Chinese mythology.)
Fear (A visual art exhibit in blog format.)
Nobody anymore, never again (Another visual art exhibit in blog format.)
The Everyblogger Triad: 1, 2, 3 (Embrace the bad writing, give into your psyche.)
PLAN 31 (Frank Slenderman: Ace Attorney)
OH GOD THE RAPTURE IS BURNING (400,000 words. Five months. All Fears. Excess. On fifth draft, not final.)
Topography Genera (15 blogs. Conventional horror. See seas rise.)
PM
Dr0Shadow
 Posted: Aug 31 2015, 01:18 PM

Reminds me of a "psycho/metashock" idea, in which it appears that your going though multiple universes (like Columbia, Rapture, etc) but it turns out your actually going though a simulation.
PM
Omega
 Posted: Aug 31 2015, 07:42 PM

Hero of JUSTICE!

Group: Conspirator
Member No.: 21

QUOTE (Hexillith @ Aug 27 2015, 08:43 AM)
SHODAN

SHDOAN returning to earth and staking out her kingdom

SHODAN vs. GLaDOS, idgaf, I just want SHODAN.

I would murder thousands to get another game where I can be ordered around by SHODAN again.

PM
Dr0Shadow
 Posted: Sep 7 2015, 02:57 PM

Okay, scene no is going to start the ideas going, today I'm bringing you...

TO THE MOOON!

The City in the story is the city of Selene, named after the titan of the moon in Greek mythology (following the theme of the American space program, naming missions after Greek stuff). It is located on the dark side of the moon, and was created as a secret project of ether the British government, The USSR, or NASA. In Selene, suffrage from woman’s right has taken a big step backward, so that woman in Selene are treated always like a lady and expected to jest do womanly things. Of course, the woman say “This won’t do” and basically rebel, some in discrete ways, becoming teachers and influencing the youth, or basically going the Greek mythological rough, as in going crazy (seriously a lot of woman in Greek mythology are insane O-o) via the plasmid/vigor/gene tonic/gear equivalents, which brings us to the next to the paragraph.

Spoiler (Show/Hide)
You know how Columbia basically fell apart? Most of it apparently fell down in the Himalayan Mountains, because it was too heavy. So I came up with the idea that some of Columbia warped into the Selene universe and got out of the atmosphere and landed on the moon.
This is how the people behind Selene found out about ADAM. So, like complete sane people, they reverse engineer it and use some of their own equivalent of ADAM (constants and variables). In their universe, ADAM slugs don’t exist, something in space rock does (either alien space slugs or a type of mineral). Anyway, There are the plasmid/vigor equivalents, possibly called Azoth. I’m not sure how they’re consumed, but the best idea I have is via gas (like an inhaler). Now Azoth has about a 50% chance to go horribly wrong and mutate the consumer into a hideous from, which sorta depends on the mind-frame of the subject, the subjects surroundings/environment, and what the subject is currently thinking about. So it’s usual to see in Selene some creeps and weirdos.

How you get there: A rocket pod launcher disguised as a lighthouse. Instead of one that holds a few people or one person (like the bathysphere or the pilgrim’s rocket) it can hold up to twenty people.

So what do you think?
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicCreate New TopicCreate New Poll