Pages: (3) 1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicCreate New TopicCreate New Poll

SunSetters, Something really uncanny
DJay32
 Posted: Jul 18 2013, 04:18 PM

Sally Death
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 8

Now, Bones and I have been doing more talk and development of this project. What we've decided is that, since there is an actual band out there called Sunsetters, our actual OOG band will probably be called Blind Man's Book (so if you've ever seen me use that name regarding future projects now you know what it is), and we'll primarily focus on Sunsetters music (though we're open to trying non-Sunsetters stuff, like Blind Man's Book will provide the soundtrack and distortion sounds for Otso: Genus Unknown). Album covers will still have the Sunsetters name on them, and in official contexts their names will include "Sunsetters." Such as something like Sunsetters-No Entry or Sunsetters-Balancing Knife Blades, both of which will be officially credited as Blind Man's Book albums.

For now, we're focusing on the self-titled debut album. Bones has had many ideas, one of which is that before the self-titled there'd be a free downloadable EP, including an original song he wrote as well as two songs taken from the self-titled. The EP will be called Drowning Under the Influence, and the original song goes by the same name. The other songs on the EP will be "Rise of Her Rain" (which Bones has significantly rewritten), "Burning Books," an undetermined cover song, and an original intro/outro piece.

Again, Drowning Under the Influence will be free to download. But we can't announce it yet as we're still just in the writing stages. Just wanted to let you know, since I consider the Sunsetters to be primarily a Topography Genera artifact and see plenty of potential in it.

Note that I've been saying "we." Bones wants me to be in Blind Man's Book, reasonably so. Now, I'm not a professional musician whatsoever; I played clarinet for over five years in school and was in the marching band for two years, but I mean, being a clarinetist doesn't equate to being in a rock band. xD But thanks to Rock Band, I'm getting better at playing the keyboard (ROCK BAND ACTUALLY DID SOMETHING FOR ME), and we're thinking I could be the keyboardist as well as the lyricist. I think it's safe to say I'm also the concept manager, as I'm using the Sunsetters albums to tell a great deal many stories, some of which I will detail in this post.

First, to make things clear, we'll probably be in the writing stage for a long time, as both of us are entering higher education and.. well, across the ocean from each other. Neither of us have recording equipment, not on the level we'd need. Bones doesn't think we'll have the EP ready for at least a year, but once we get started I see this picking up speed.

Now. All that said, let me talk about what we can actually do with this thing.

With Blind Man's Book being the actual band, we can turn the Sunsetters discography into a 100% fictional narrative. Even the background to how the albums were written can be fictionalized. I have these visions of some fictional documentary about the making of some album or something, and there'd be an interview with each of the members of the band (played by actors), and one of the questions asked to each one would be "Where did the ideas for the (heavily Fear-focused) lyrics come from?" And most members would say something like "The lyricist wrote them, he's got an active imagination" or "I think he was hit on the head as a kid" or "Doesn't he get them from his dreams?" And then the lyricist himself would be interviewed and he'd give this anecdote about coping with a relative drowning and then going into a coma, and how it made him think a lot about his place in life and how many things are out to get us.

Then there's the fact that the band's lineup will change throughout the discography, and we can come up with all these life stories that would all be in the Topography Genera canon (but open enough to be applicable to other canons). Of course, when I say "We" here, I really mean "I," but anyone can help.

The point is, there is a lot of potential for storytelling here, even in the songs themselves.

AND ALSO Bones is thinking of extending Sunsetters' discography to not be eight studio albums and five EPs but thirteen studio albums, eight EPs, and five live albums. The idea of a Sunsetters live album excites me even more, as it means we could experiment with fictionalizing a live performance. oWo It'd start off small, like just having the performances feature a bit of acting on the band's part, but I picture the fifth live album being the last thing the band ever releases, and it'd end with something suggesting the band disappeared mysteriously. Or was shot on-stage. Either one, probably the former as we want the Sunsetters to end up being Camper.

One more thing. To show I'm not all talk here, here's a demo of "The Last Sunset" off of the self-titled. Wrote and performed it myself. I shortened the lyrics from what I'd originally written and switched them to simple spoken-word phrases, two of which are spoken by Bones in this demo. We're still figuring out exactly who the singer will be (most likely someone else; Blind Man's Book band will definitely have more members).

QUOTE ("The Last Sunset")
Don't mourn the last sunset. Water dies, unknowing. The ultimate practical joke.

So yeah! This is all top-secret stuff, enjoy your behind-the-scenes access. xD

EXHIBITS:
Viceking's Graab (Step inside the maze. You could spend an eternity here.)
The Mythology of Empathy (Eight songs, nine tracks. Welcome death.)
Ancestor (Five tracks. Death of the Artist and Chinese mythology.)
Fear (A visual art exhibit in blog format.)
Nobody anymore, never again (Another visual art exhibit in blog format.)
The Everyblogger Triad: 1, 2, 3 (Embrace the bad writing, give into your psyche.)
PLAN 31 (Frank Slenderman: Ace Attorney)
OH GOD THE RAPTURE IS BURNING (400,000 words. Five months. All Fears. Excess. On fifth draft, not final.)
Topography Genera (15 blogs. Conventional horror. See seas rise.)
PM
DJay32
 Posted: Jul 21 2013, 08:02 PM

Sally Death
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 8

Here, alliterator, you said you wanted to hear what "Burning Books" would sound like? Well, first of all, Here's a revised version of what you saw earlier, aaaaand HERE is Bones playing it on bass. He's not perfect but it's only a demo, and it'll sound much better with other instruments over it.

EXHIBITS:
Viceking's Graab (Step inside the maze. You could spend an eternity here.)
The Mythology of Empathy (Eight songs, nine tracks. Welcome death.)
Ancestor (Five tracks. Death of the Artist and Chinese mythology.)
Fear (A visual art exhibit in blog format.)
Nobody anymore, never again (Another visual art exhibit in blog format.)
The Everyblogger Triad: 1, 2, 3 (Embrace the bad writing, give into your psyche.)
PLAN 31 (Frank Slenderman: Ace Attorney)
OH GOD THE RAPTURE IS BURNING (400,000 words. Five months. All Fears. Excess. On fifth draft, not final.)
Topography Genera (15 blogs. Conventional horror. See seas rise.)
PM
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (3) 1 2 3  Reply to this topicCreate New TopicCreate New Poll