Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicCreate New TopicCreate New Poll

removal of the Slenderman and the Rake
DJay32
 Posted: Feb 19 2014, 05:28 AM

Sally Death
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 8

And I happen to think that particular argument is kinda strawmanning. No one is saying they should be taken out of the mythos entirely. Or if they are I suppose I'm completely missing it and need sleep.

What's being said, what has always been said, what has been the "official" stance since around May of 2013, is that The Slender Man and The Rake are Fears in whatever stories you want them to be Fears in and that they get Wiki articles (and series bible articles, if we stick with those) all to themselves like everything else. It's just that we seriously look bad if we advertise ourselves with them.

So literally all that any talk of this means is regarding general representation and has absolutely no bearing on, say, policing people's interpretations or stories.

EXHIBITS:
Viceking's Graab (Step inside the maze. You could spend an eternity here.)
The Mythology of Empathy (Eight songs, nine tracks. Welcome death.)
Ancestor (Five tracks. Death of the Artist and Chinese mythology.)
Fear (A visual art exhibit in blog format.)
Nobody anymore, never again (Another visual art exhibit in blog format.)
The Everyblogger Triad: 1, 2, 3 (Embrace the bad writing, give into your psyche.)
PLAN 31 (Frank Slenderman: Ace Attorney)
OH GOD THE RAPTURE IS BURNING (400,000 words. Five months. All Fears. Excess. On fifth draft, not final.)
Topography Genera (15 blogs. Conventional horror. See seas rise.)
PM
Funden
 Posted: Feb 19 2014, 05:40 AM

Phones

Group: Members
Member No.: 25

Assuming you're responding to me: that line was in general, not in relation to any particular user. I remember that one or two people thought that, back when we first advocated to remove them from the official list, that that meant they wouldn't be used in the Mythos at all. That last line was merely to stop that argument before it sprung forth.

I suggest looking at context before calling strawman, since that term has been waaaaaaaaaaaaay overused.

I sometimes still exist.
PM
DJay32
 Posted: Feb 19 2014, 05:50 AM

Sally Death
Group Icon

I guess I somehow got "I was also among the crowd who agreed that they didn't seem like true Fears to me (as they weren't created with any particular phobia in mind), but they play incredibly important roles in some people's stories, so removing them completely from the Mythos would be silly" confused with "I think removing them completely from the Mythos would be silly." Which was not brought up in the conversation (to my tired knowledge), so it sounded like you were replying to me with it, implying I had proposed removing them from the mythos.

And just because a term is overused does not make a particular use of it invalid. Especially not if it's precluded with "kinda."

EDIT: But. Again. I am tired. So I am pretty sure you're in the right here on the general issue.

EXHIBITS:
The Everyblogger Triad: 1, 2, 3 (Embrace the bad writing, give into your psyche.)
OH GOD THE RAPTURE IS BURNING (400,000 words. Five months. All Fears. Excess. On fifth draft, not final.)
PM
Funden
 Posted: Feb 19 2014, 05:57 AM

Phones

Member No.: 25

I admit, that was fairly badly worded on my part. I mostly just said it so people wouldn't bring it up, but it would probably have been best if I hadn't brought it up at all. That was my bad.

I sometimes still exist.
PM
WereMagi | ThatDeanCarter
 Posted: Feb 19 2014, 06:05 AM

Do not look for this one

Member No.: 169

I see words. Words with meanings.

And the meaning escapes me as all I know, someone is discussing our guests abominations behind their backs and must remind you all that we must sleep often and in plenty of supply as possible. The world may end at any moment and it is better seen dreaming of what could be then arguing over what should be.

Also, I act like I am high when I have a headache and a crap ton off sugar/caffeine whilst still sleepy.

Oh, but I would like to say for the record, I have no care what happens as the Fear Mythos is Open Source and has no canon and I'll do what I want. After all, I meet my ritual sacrifices to the Supreme Hat on time, every time. Do YOU?!

~WereMagi
Gamer, Writer, Thinker, Coffee Drinker.
PM
DJay32
 Posted: Feb 19 2014, 06:05 AM

Sally Death
Group Icon

There's no worries. I'm much more on edge than I need to be anyway.

Much like what happened the last time the topic of the slender man came up in quote-unquote greater Mythos dialogue, I will sleep on this issue and then talk with the Wiki mods and my fellow bible writers about what they think! But in the meantime, feel free to propose ideas or discussions and.. all that jazz.

Oh, here, here's an exercise for people: Take a look at the Wiki, the series bible, and the forum from the perspective of someone who has never heard of the Fear Mythos before (but has heard of the Slender Man). That kind of perspective is what we're looking to cater to here; we want to convey that the Fear Mythos is canonless and that Fears can be written however we want and that the Wiki simply shows how Fears have been written.
So with that in mind, if anyone can give feedback with regards to that, that would be great! </billlumbergh>

EXHIBITS:
PM
yeoldefreakshow
 Posted: Feb 19 2014, 09:19 AM

A person

Member No.: 340

I don't think I made myself clear about the wiki, I am not saying Slender man and the Rake should not be on it at all, I just do not understand why they are listed under the label fears 2 and 3 even though it says they are not fears.

A blog that has nothing to do with the fear mythos at all but is just a terrible attempt to be funny http://thisistheadresshi.blogspot.co.uk/
PM
 Posted: Feb 19 2014, 11:36 AM

Do not look for this one

I;m sure the Wiki team will use their collective Wiki Sorcery to make any amends they can and see fit to do.

~WereMagi
PM
Omega
 Posted: Feb 19 2014, 12:21 PM

Hero of JUSTICE!

Group: Conspirator
Member No.: 21

While I agree that the classification of "Fear" vs. "Fear Candidate" is a little pointless, I do feel we still should have a list on the Series Bible. Just so long as we emphasize that the Fears appearing on the list do not represent all of the Fears, but are only a selection of the Fears which have become amongst the most commonly used and recognized. Then a link could be provided to the full Wiki list, which would contain all the Fears.

PM
DarkShadows
 Posted: Feb 19 2014, 06:18 PM

2spooky Since 1991. OuO

Member No.: 300

I do like Omega's idea. But for the record, why don't we just provide the list of Fears with links to their respective Wiki articles? Then we can show much better how they have been used before, and that, for example, the Convocation's not always a flock of thunderbirds, sometimes it's a big school of sharks swimming inside of a tsunami wave.

You're not out of the woods yet... and you never truly will be.

My Youtube ~ My ArtGrounds ~ My FictionPress ~ My Slendervlog ~ My (Personal) Blog

Blogs:
In The Dark Shadows ~ Between the Party Lines ~ Open Season ~ Shelly Loves Succulents ~ Night Class (STCZ) ~ Breaking The Waves (STCZ) ~ Graham, Positive ~ Twelve Days

Short Stories:
Project Him, a Slenderman vignette collection. ~ The Sycamore Project, decrypted tales of the Tall One. ~ The City claims another within its Drywall and Wiring ~ Got a MachineHead, it's better than the rest.
PM
DJay32
 Posted: Feb 19 2014, 06:19 PM

Sally Death
Group Icon

QUOTE (Omega @ Feb 19 2014, 12:21 PM)
While I agree that the classification of "Fear" vs. "Fear Candidate" is a little pointless, I do feel we still should have a list on the Series Bible. Just so long as we emphasize that the Fears appearing on the list do not represent all of the Fears, but are only a selection of the Fears which have become amongst the most commonly used and recognized. Then a link could be provided to the full Wiki list, which would contain all the Fears.

Why not cut out the middleman, though? What's wrong with literally just linking to that full Wiki list from the get-go, on the front page of the series bible? I mean, the series bible Fear list will still be there in the Wiki list, it's just that there'll also be more Fears on there. Which there's nothing wrong with.

Ultimately what we want here is a streamlining, a sort of symbiosis between the bible and the Wiki. The bible tells people what they need to know about writing in our mythos (namely, write what you want), and the Wiki tells people how Fears have been written.

EDIT: Whoa, I think I completely forgot to clarify that no yeah slendy, that's barely an issue at this point, both the Wiki and the series bible represent him fairly, we can take him off the Fears 2 and Fears 3 things, yes. But this issue somehow reminded me that we really need to work on the more "official" parts of the Wiki (namely, the Fear articles themselves).

Problem is, if we work too much on the Wiki Fear articles, then what's the point of the series bible Fear articles? Answer is "No point," they shouldn't even be on the bible anyway, our mythos is not about any specific Fear but simply about all of them, there's nothing wrong with linking to the Wiki for that.

So I think the battle plan should be 1) revise the Wiki Fear articles so they're a combination of the series bible pages and the current Wiki structure, and then 2) redirect the bible list to the Wiki list. That way, there's still time to rethink the decision of whether or not to have them on the bible.

That sound good to people?

EXHIBITS:
PM
 Posted: Feb 20 2014, 12:17 AM

Do not look for this one

We have tabs working now, why not use them to have a general article about the Fear and then the more professional bible article written about them?

Or more like a Basic and Advance version?

Just have both worlds there.

~WereMagi
PM
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 2  Reply to this topicCreate New TopicCreate New Poll