Reply to this topicCreate New TopicCreate New Poll

The Archangel, Some questions
Omega
 Posted: Sep 8 2011, 10:15 PM

Hero of JUSTICE!

Group: Conspirator
Member No.: 21

I have the misfortune of being woefully behind on my Fear Mythos reading, so I don't have all the info on these Fears that I'd like to have.... So I'm just going to skip out of the work involved in actually reading the content, and just ask for opinions. :rolleyes:

So then, Archangel. It can control dead bodies. Has there been any established limit on how many bodies it can control at a time? Or any limit on how quickly it can jump between bodies?

PM
alliterator
 Posted: Sep 8 2011, 10:28 PM

The Jerkface Man
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 7

I don't think it controls dead bodies, but rather manifests itself as dead people. So if a body is cremated, it can still show up as the Archangel.

As for how many bodies it can manifest as, well, probably a lot. But per Lizard, the Archangel likes to be subtle and Chessmastery, so it prefers to only use one body. (Sometimes, this would be the gas-mask man, but manifests as other dead people, too.)

The only ones that it can't manifest as, I believe, are those who are killed by other Fears.

Faces, Strange and Secret: An Anthology of Stories from da Fears Mythos: on sale from Amazon, Kindle, and Smashwords

My Finished Stories.

My Ongoing Stories:
Channel Fear (informational, educational, cynical)
The Supernatural Anaesthetist (seeing where science takes us)
Once There Was (the king is the kingdom)
An Old Man's Winter Night (at the winter of the world)
Unwashed and Somewhat Slightly Dazed (working for the man)
The Secret History of the World (unstuck in time)
Notes from the Underground (a place to stay)
Phantasmagorical (a bedtime story)
Paranoia: A Manifesto (wrecking the wall)
The Day The Music Died (running from sound and sorrow)
Abraham's Men (knights, ghosts, and shadows)
Pest Control (pulling the wings off of flies)
PM
Omega
 Posted: Sep 8 2011, 10:33 PM

Hero of JUSTICE!

QUOTE (alliterator @ Sep 8 2011, 04:28 PM)
I don't think it controls dead bodies, but rather manifests itself as dead people. So if a body is cremated, it can still show up as the Archangel.

And that's why I'm asking these questions instead of charging off into writing without the necessary prior knowledge.

As for how many bodies it can manifest as, well, probably a lot. But per Lizard, the Archangel likes to be subtle and Chessmastery, so it prefers to only use one body. (Sometimes, this would be the gas-mask man, but manifests as other dead people, too.)

Hm.... How subtle is, say, wiping out a small town? :P

Nah, just some crazy idea I had. I know I want to use Archangel for a plot point, but I'm working out how to include him. Eldritch Zombie Apocalypse was just the first idea which popped into my head; but I'm also considering a quieter, stalker killing off protagonists one at a time style scene.

PM
alliterator
 Posted: Sep 8 2011, 10:38 PM

The Jerkface Man
Group Icon

Well, the Archangel does use human agents - there are Archangel cultists, including a biker gang called the Timberwolves.

Faces, Strange and Secret: An Anthology of Stories from da Fears Mythos: on sale from Amazon, Kindle, and Smashwords

My Finished Stories.

My Ongoing Stories:
PM
Omega
 Posted: Sep 8 2011, 10:48 PM

Hero of JUSTICE!

QUOTE (alliterator @ Sep 8 2011, 04:38 PM)
Well, the Archangel does use human agents - there are Archangel cultists, including a biker gang called the Timberwolves.

Was already planning to use cultists as a way to shift the current Slender Man focus towards Archangel focus, though use of a biker gang may not entirely work out (on account of the current story arc taking place in New Mexico, 1892). Still, I might keep the Timberwolves in my head for possible future use....

Right now I'm just trying to think of ways to handle Arch's big scene. Looking to make him the main threat of the moment. The zombie apocalypse was an idea that's going straight for refuge in audacity, but the more I look at it, the more I realize that I haven't built up enough to do something that outrageous just yet.

PM
LizardBite
 Posted: Sep 8 2011, 11:07 PM

The Supreme
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 5

The body count depends on the writer. In EB/HitT, Archie only ever manifested as one body, and tended to stick with Gas Mask (though it did appear as others-- particularly Crystal). Each of these bodies was also in excellent condition, so you could mistake them for regular people. In AftG, though, Archie manifests multiple bodies in varying states of decay, given it a faux-zombie feel.

To date, it has never verbally communicated in the blogs, but has left messages, which are written in all lower case, unless it refers to another Fear, in which case it's all upper case. Punctuation's kind of a gray area.

Somehow Archie ended up with a particular vicious streak, when I was trying to write it as an incomprehensible being. So basically I tried to write Azathoth, and ended up writing Nyarlathotep.

Also, the Steward blogs put forth the idea that the Archangel is in fact a sentient afterlife, but other blogs (like CttS) don't run that. The Archive keeps it ambiguous.

Seann Reads: Wherein I babble a lot
Myths and Monsters: Wherein I talk about mythical creatures
user posted image

Avalon's Reign
PM
yeoldefreakshow
 Posted: Oct 13 2013, 08:37 AM

A person

Group: Members
Member No.: 340

A question about the archangel, his followers (the timberwolves) what do the do exactly? do they have any rituals or anything?

A blog that has nothing to do with the fear mythos at all but is just a terrible attempt to be funny http://thisistheadresshi.blogspot.co.uk/
PM
Gabriel Syme
 Posted: Oct 13 2013, 11:30 PM

Aspiring Knight

Group: Members
Member No.: 345

QUOTE (yeoldefreakshow @ Oct 13 2013, 02:37 AM)
A question about the archangel, his followers (the timberwolves) what do the do exactly? do they have any rituals or anything?

In one story they broke into a cemetery, tied the night watchman to a gravestone and burned him alive. Then they carved "Embrace the Archangel" on the scorched tombstone. Real classy bunch.

I'd bet the Apostles go in for more ritual than the Timberwolves, but I can't back that up with a text reference.

Stories at the Inn on hold

Wicked Things on hold

Tower Log

All men can be criminals, if tempted; all men can be heroes, if inspired.-GKC

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
― J.R.R. Tolkien
PM
proxiehunter
 Posted: Oct 14 2013, 12:31 AM

Favored Servant
Group Icon

Member No.: 22

In my verse at least the Timberwolves don't have a centralized enough hierarchy that you can look at one group of Timberwolves and say "they will practice these rituals". Mostly their local leader will take pre-existing rituals from a religion the lower ranking members will be familiar with and corrupt them into rites to their Father, although you get the occasional full on whackjob death cult that tries to massacre as many people as possible to send them into the Archangels embrace.

Edit: In general I think you can expect any rituals to make liberal use of the phrase "Embrace the Archangel" or "Embrace him" and to glorify fatalism, death, and obedience (to the cult leader, and through them the Archangel, rather than local law non-cult authority figures or family structure or anything like that). It's also typical I think for the Archangel itself to be mostly disinterested in It's various cults even if It does show up occasionally for rituals and meetings.
PM
Charlie
 Posted: Dec 12 2013, 07:54 PM

A mystery wrapped in an enigma sealed with a kiss

Group: Conspirator (III)
Member No.: 49

I dunno if this is the official Archangel thread or not, but I'm putting my ramblings down here.

So for our last archaeology lecture of the semester, we were talking about Çatalhöyük, and there was a lot of talk about how fucking terrifying the imagery in the homes was (link link link link)

And anyway, I ended up thinking about the Fear Mythos and burial practices and death gods of various cultures and civilizations. I remember there being a discussion a long time ago about wanting more diversity in the appearance of the Archangel, and given the diversity of the image of death throughout history, I it might be nice to incorporate some of the less well-known deities or figures (the Mayan Mictlantecuhtli, for example or the Incan Supay). Once you get into more modern times, there's a little overlap with the Plague Doctor, but aside from that.

Just ideas that have been bouncing around in my head.

A writer’s brain is full of little gifts, like a piñata at a birthday party. It’s also full of demons, like a piñata at a birthday party in a mental hospital. The truth is, it’s demons that keep a tortured writer’s spirit alive, not Tootsie Rolls. Sure they’ll give you a tiny burst of energy, but they won’t do squat for your writing. So treat your demons with the respect they deserve, and with enough prescriptions to keep you wearing pants.
-Colin Nissan
PM
alliterator
 Posted: Dec 12 2013, 09:07 PM

The Jerkface Man
Group Icon

I tried to link the Archangel with burial rites through history history, going from simple mounds to elaborate monuments. But using obscure death gods would be interesting.

My Finished Stories.

My Ongoing Stories:
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicCreate New TopicCreate New Poll