To sum up an important part of the series bible, the Fear Mythos does not have a canon. If your story has Fears acting differently than they would in other stories or even appearing differently, that's 100% fine. You have the right to write within your own canon here. You can write in someone else's canon if you want, but no one is allowed to restrict your story. We are artists first.
Now, writing stories is one thing. There are, theoretically, no rules to writing; it's an art form for expressing yourself. But when you're not writing a story, when you're posting in our forums, help keep our forum organized. The top half of our forum, Terrible Terror, is for the direct Fear Mythos writing stuff, projects, stories, all that. The bottom half, Miscellaneous, is for everything else. Here, let me break this down further!
TERRIBLE TERROR (Stay on topic here.) The Records is where you post your stories. They can be blogs, ARGs, multi-blog stories, or anything. You make a thread, you post your story. I highly recommend checking out other people's stories too! And yes, stories about the slender man are allowed.
The only things to fear... is where you post about the Fears, themselves. You post ideas for new Fears, you ask questions about existing ones, you talk about the actual Fears.
Fearosphere is where you post about the Fear Mythos, in general. It's a confusing board, but it tends to be used for multi-blog subjects and talking about general Fear stuff.
Out of Universe Discussion is where you post about more.. outside-y Fear Mythos stuff. Art, merchandise, how outsiders think of the mythos, discovered Fear Mythos stories that aren't by members of the forum.
Crossovers and Team-ups is where you post about recruiting people for bigger projects. You can also PM people if you want, but it's generally easier to start a thread asking if anyone's interested in helping out. Fairly self-explanatory, no?
NON-MYTHOS MISCELLANEOUS(The more random stuff.) Entries and Exits is that section of every forum where you make a thread introducing yourself or letting people know when you're leaving for a little while. Threads can get derailed here, but please don't intentionally do it; don't force the meme.
Forum Updates/Suggestions is for talking about the actual forum. The admins might post about updates to the forum, or you might have a question or a bug or a suggestion to bring up.
On-Topic is the general board for everything else. Talk about whatever you want. Even porn. But stay civil.
Wonderland is the place where the crazy people go. You can go way off-topic here, you can make threads about nothing at all, you can.. be weird. But again, stay civil.
Forum Games is where to go for forum games. It's self-explanatory. Games played in forum posts.
Other Projects is home to anything our members create that isn't a part of the Fear Mythos!
Then there's also a SECRET AREA with Planning Rooms in it. This comes up if you're working on a private and extensive project with other Fearbloggers, to give you room to flesh it out.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I make a thread for my blog/vlog? Please do! That's what the Records section is for, after all.
Can I make a thread even though it only has the Slender Man in it? Yes! We love to read both Fear and Slenderblogs and comment on them.
Can I make a new Fear? Short answer: yes. Slightly longer answer: if you are just beginning to write in the Fear Mythos, we recommend you start writing with the already established Fears. Creating a brand new Fear is harder than you may realize - what you create may not catch on with the imagination of other writers. If you become better versed in writing horror / Fear and Slenderblogs, making a new Fear may become easier.
Is there anything I shouldn't do here? Yes: don't be a douchebag. We try to be very polite here, even when giving constructive criticism. (And yes, when you don't like something, please leave constructive criticism. Don't just say "I didn't like it." Why didn't you like it?)
Also: this forum is completely Out Of Game. Please don't post about how the Slender Man or the Fears are real. They are not. They are made up and they all came true anyway and they are not real. (Except for Red. She's totally real.)
My welcome thread was derailed! Why? It's a tradition. Consider yourself welcomed.
Who are the admins/moderators here? LizardBite and RedRockingHood are our Admins. alliterator is moderator for the "Terrible Terror" section and proxiehunter is moderator for the "Miscellaneous" section. DJay32 is also a general moderator and maintainer of the Series Bible.
What is "Danger Time"? Is it part of the Fear Mythos? No, it's not part of the Mythos. Danger Time is a Play By Post Game run by GraciousVictory. It basically started our Forum Games section and thus has a subforum all to its own. It's awesome, you should read it.
We can play games here? Yes, as long as you can play them on a forum. We currently have several Play By Post games up.
I heard something about a video game? Yes. Our esteemed leader, Lizard Bite, has generously made an RPG called "Fear Mythos: The RPG." You can find the latest version in the RPG thread in Wonderland. It's fun and awesome.
Is there anything else I need to know? Here are a few more tips:
- Really, stay civil. Golden rule, people: Treat others the way you'd like to be treated.
- Unless in Wonderland, try to stay on topic. It makes things so much easier. If the topic's about one subject and you're inspired to talk about another, start a new thread for it!
- IF SOMEONE IS TALKING IN ALL CAPS, they're probably not yelling. :D They're probably stressing a point. Or making a joke.
- The shoutbox is placed there for informing people about updates. For conversations, there are individual threads, and for idle chit-chat, we have DA MINI-SHOUTBOX in the Wonderland forum as well as other places: The Bearhands LiveChat, the Fear Mythos Skype Chat, the Wiki chat, and the tinychat whose url I don't know and somebody will probably put in a reply to this. We also have the On-Topic section and Wonderland. We have places for random conversations. The shoutbox works best as a convenient method of getting information across that a large amount of our forum would want to know. There's even a flood control so you can't post more than two shouts in a row.
- This is a hard battle to fight, I admit, but try not to make sockpuppets. A sockpuppet is where you register a new member who is actually just you with a different name. Sockpuppets are totally fine if, say, there's been a glitch or you can't remember your login. But we try to avoid making fake accounts for, say, Fears just for the sake of roleplaying.