Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicCreate New TopicCreate New Poll

The Tarantella
Hexillith
 Posted: Aug 10 2015, 02:11 AM

Bat One
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 397

Okay, so I've been sitting on a Fear idea for a while now, and since Kiro's getting great suggestions in his Masked God thread I figured I'd put this here and see what happened.

So, when I first joined the Mythos, I always thought of the Archangel a certain way. I thought about how he used to be called the Fear of Religion. Now to me, a queer, trans atheist, the words "fear" and "religion" made me think of mob mentality, dogmatism, persecution. (Not at all trying to dump on religion here, but it does have a dark side, one which embodies all of those things.) So I started to write the Archangel that way, in Landscape. He didn't actually appear because the story went on hiatus, but anyway, that's what he's like in that canon.

I kind of felt like I could make something better. Something that wasn't inherently connected to religion, that was more flexible and could be used to talk about more things. So I made the Tarantella. She's named after a type of folk dance which is said to be derived from the phenomenon of tarantism.

I'm working on a story in which she's a strain of music, and/or a spirit, which either possesses someone or makes subtle suggestions to them, which they then spread to others. It's a Salem witch trials sort of thing. But I feel like that portrayal might be too vague/subtle for a lot of stories (I tend to make my Fears abstract). So does anyone have ideas for a physical form, modus operandi, or anything at all, really?

Also I'm thinking of giving her scarecrow servants, like, inanimate figures that do her bidding, symbolic of the mob and its thoughtlessness. I feel like she is... complementary? to the Masked God and they might work together sometimes.

Thoughts?

Unseelie - The place where giants rule

Journal of the days after - Torn from xer awful embrace

Mene, Mene, Tekel, Upharsin - Read it and weep

Our Cyclical Dance - Endlessly in on itself

I'm on Tumblr and DeviantArt.

So look at the fleeting stars with fleeting eyes, and feel how the earth beneath you gives. It is all a temporary manifestation of particles, and it is all unraveling back to particulate silence. The bustle of the human day will come and will go. And then there will be night. -WtNV
PM
Kiro Cloudwatcher
 Posted: Aug 10 2015, 03:51 AM

Watcher of Clouds

Group: Members
Member No.: 254

I like this.

Unfortunately I'm not getting any ideas for it yet. But I might later on.

Abstract Fears are interesting. But you are right, they don't work in every type of story. I do think keeping a bit of the abstract in would be a good thing though.

I really like scarecrow servants they would fit very well.

And I agree that she and the Masked god feel complementary.
Mob mentality, dogmatism and persecution are often results and/or causes of dehumanization.
And those topics were things I thought about while thinking of the stories with Masks and their god.
So yes I also think they would be buddies.
(Archie himself is also a major player in the stories I have planned.)

last note:
Oh god, why did it have to be spiders! WHY!! -flails-
I regret clicking that link. I should have known.

PM
Hexillith
 Posted: Aug 10 2015, 11:51 PM

Bat One
Group Icon

Thank you, and sorry about the spiders!

I think at one point I was considering having her warp the person she's possessing. But it might be better to have her warp their perception of certain other people, so that people they already dislike for whatever reason seem monstrous and evil.

So look at the fleeting stars with fleeting eyes, and feel how the earth beneath you gives. It is all a temporary manifestation of particles, and it is all unraveling back to particulate silence. The bustle of the human day will come and will go. And then there will be night. -WtNV
PM
alliterator
 Posted: Aug 12 2015, 08:17 PM

The Jerkface Man
Group Icon

Member No.: 7

Ooh, I like this.

Faces, Strange and Secret: An Anthology of Stories from da Fears Mythos: on sale from Amazon, Kindle, and Smashwords

My Finished Stories.

My Ongoing Stories:
Channel Fear (informational, educational, cynical)
The Supernatural Anaesthetist (seeing where science takes us)
Once There Was (the king is the kingdom)
An Old Man's Winter Night (at the winter of the world)
Unwashed and Somewhat Slightly Dazed (working for the man)
The Secret History of the World (unstuck in time)
Notes from the Underground (a place to stay)
Phantasmagorical (a bedtime story)
Paranoia: A Manifesto (wrecking the wall)
The Day The Music Died (running from sound and sorrow)
Abraham's Men (knights, ghosts, and shadows)
Pest Control (pulling the wings off of flies)
PM
LiamTheUnstoppable
 Posted: Sep 17 2015, 12:07 AM

Innocent

Member No.: 675

[7:02:04 PM] Hunter O'Connell: Alright, send this on a thread called "The Tarantella": Hexillith, I'm genuinely impressed with your work! I have a few ideas on the appearance, but they seem a bit too similar to other Fears. I was thinking of giving it uncountable eyes like an insect, but I think that's a bit too reminiscent of the Eye. As a matter of fact, we shouldn't go the insect route anyways, since we already have the Intrusion. Perhaps it could be seen as a voice at the bottom of a dark abyss, but that's a LOT like the Deep. The "subtly manipulating the subconscious" thing has been done here before (The Rake), as well as manipulation of human evolution (The Glitch), so maybe it's always been in our subconscious? Maybe it implemented itself early on, and it's inside each and every one of us?
PM
LiamTheUnstoppable
 Posted: Sep 17 2015, 04:52 PM

Innocent

[11:09:34 AM] Hunter O'Connell: Alright, I got a solid idea for the Tarantella. Post this to the thread if you could: I had an idea. Perhaps it could be a woman painted silver, but with eight black eyes. She implanted herself into the subconscious mind of early human ancestors with the help of the Glitch, and as they evolved, she grew stronger. Her modus operandi is a mystery, but she will stop at nothing until her will is the way of the world. She manipulates our subconscious into thinking what she thinks. Deep hypnosis i the only way to truly talk to her. What she says to us is also a mystery, as all who talk to her become her servants, the Frumpers (a cross between a frump and a loafer). It would be nice to hear your thoughts.
PM
Hexillith
 Posted: Sep 18 2015, 09:08 PM

Bat One
Group Icon

Erm. I appreciate the compliment and your ideas, Hunter, but I really don't think you should be posting on the forum as a banned user.

As for the idea of the Tarantella implanting herself into the human subconscious: I feel like it's really important that she developed organically out of human consciousness, rather than being something alien, because the fact that other humans can be so cruel is part of her. So that's what she'll be like in the piece I'm writing. I'd certainly be interested to see her written the way you describe, though.

I like the idea of linking her to the subconscious and hypnosis in at least some portrayals.

I don't feel like I worded any of this clearly, my brain's fried atm.

PM
LiamTheUnstoppable
 Posted: Sep 19 2015, 02:25 PM

Innocent

[9:12:46 AM] Hunter O'Connell: This will be the last post on the Tarantella thread I need you to post, Liam. Thanks for doing this for me, dude: Fair enough. I'll stop getting Liam to post my messages via his account (that got him banned on the Wiki, and I think we both would rather not have him get banned on the forum too). I'll just wait my ban out till January. As for the Tarantella herself, I think that her appearence should at least stay the same, but it's your Fear, so it's up to you. That is a great idea, however, with her being an abomination that we ourselves are responsible for creating.

So, here's my understanding of the Tarantella so far: She is a silver woman with eight eyes seemingly placed in random spots on her body. She was created through the human subconscious and is responsible for the atrocities committed throughout humanity's history, manipulating our thoughts to match hers. She makes subtle suggestions to us, which are then spread to others, until the whole world knows of her will. She is inside every one of us, and is the "bad side" we are afraid to give into, the thoughts we wish we never had. The only way to talk directly to her is through hypnosis, and listening to her voice (the strain of music you mentioned earlier) makes anyone within listening distance become her servants, mindless scarecrows tentatively named Frumpers.

I believe that this will be an excellent Fear! Great job, Hex! Now, I'm going to uphold my promise and leave the forum alone for a while. Liam, you can post whatever you like now. See ya guys!
PM
Omega
 Posted: Oct 2 2015, 01:43 AM

Hero of JUSTICE!

Group: Conspirator
Member No.: 21

I'd been bouncing around ideas for how I might portray the Tarantella, and thought I might post them here.

I know you're asking for ideas for a physical form, but I feel like this is a Fear that works better in an abstract form. It makes more sense to me for a being that embodies mob mentality to not have a single form or conscious, and instead be distributed. I started thinking of it as something like a sentient meme (no not that kind of meme,) that is sublimely implanted into sounds, images, and text. Kinda like the fnords from The Illuminatus Trilogy. I also keep imagining a servant with a tuning fork that produces a musical note containing the Tarantella, though I haven't really expanded the thought beyond that point.

PM
Hexillith
 Posted: Oct 2 2015, 02:02 AM

Bat One
Group Icon

QUOTE (Omega @ Oct 1 2015, 08:43 PM)
I'd been bouncing around ideas for how I might portray the Tarantella, and thought I might post them here.

I know you're asking for ideas for a physical form, but I feel like this is a Fear that works better in an abstract form. It makes more sense to me for a being that embodies mob mentality to not have a single form or conscious, and instead be distributed. I started thinking of it as something like a sentient meme (no not that kind of meme,) that is sublimely implanted into sounds, images, and text. Kinda like the fnords from The Illuminatus Trilogy. I also keep imagining a servant with a tuning fork that produces a musical note containing the Tarantella, though I haven't really expanded the thought beyond that point.

I really, really like those ideas. A lot. Thank you. I'll chew on them for a bit and see if I can add anything.

PM
Hexillith
 Posted: Nov 8 2015, 01:19 AM

Bat One
Group Icon

More thoughts on the Tarantella manifesting as a meme. Thank Omega and his Queen of Maggots~

I'm thinking about giving her a symbol or word or something that she works through, at least the first time I write her. Something like the Yellow Sign or "fnord." But I also want it to be subtle, and I think that will be hard. I feel like the Tarantella would work well on film or audio because you could include subtle visual or aural cues. Could definitely work hidden messages into text as well, if you were clever.

I'm really moving away from thinking about the Tarantella as a physical entity at all this point. I definitely think she possesses people, though, because that would be a good metaphor for internalization of toxic messages received through culture.

I'm going to do some sketches, if I find the time.

PM
Hunter
 Posted: Jan 26 2016, 08:48 PM

January 11th, 2015. Never forget.

Member No.: 512

Now that my Liam days are over, I thought I might revisit this to say that literally EVERY Fear has a tangible form, besides the Quiet, being the opposite of matter, and maybe the Deep. Whether it be the Blind Man or even EAT with her Ink, all Fears have form. So, I say we find one for this amazing idea.
PM
Hexillith
 Posted: Jan 26 2016, 11:03 PM

Bat One
Group Icon

You're welcome to portray the Tarantella however you like, but I think giving her an "official" form would be doing her a disservice. Individual stories, of course, are a different matter.

I'm currently writing a Tarantella story, by the way.

PM
Omega
 Posted: Jan 26 2016, 11:49 PM

Hero of JUSTICE!

Group: Conspirator
Member No.: 21

QUOTE (Hunter @ Jan 26 2016, 02:48 PM)
N...I thought I might revisit this to say that literally EVERY Fear has a tangible form...

Why?

No, really, why? There's nothing that says a Fear has to be physical; in fact, you listed two beings which aren't (the Quiet and the Deep.) Even Fears that have established physical forms aren't always portrayed with them, such as the Choir (I think I've read more stories with it just as sound over ones with it as fungus.)

That being said, I understand why one may want a physical embodiment for a Fear. It can make writing it into certain stories easier (I had to make the Red Cap more humanoid and less liquidy for Mephi so that it could be punched easier, for example.) But that doesn't mean there has to be a canon physical form for every story it appears in.

PM
Hunter
 Posted: Jan 27 2016, 03:36 AM

January 11th, 2015. Never forget.

Member No.: 512

I suppose you're right. A Fear doesn't have to have a form. I just think that without some being to bind the abstract concepts together, they're just that: abstract concepts. I'm just uneasy about this idea being TOO abstract, to the point where, in my mind, it can't really be classified as a Fear. Keep in mind that it hasn't happened yet, since the Tarantella is still being developed, but it's just something to think about. My personal opinion is that the Tarantella's base concept have something to draw it into a plane we can comprehend, but everyone has different ideas, and it IS Hex's idea, so yeah, I was wrong. I hope I didn't offend you when writing this, Hex, because that's the last thing I want to do.
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 2  Reply to this topicCreate New TopicCreate New Poll