Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicCreate New TopicCreate New Poll

The Masked god, A cloudverse being
Kiro Cloudwatcher
 Posted: Aug 7 2015, 11:55 AM

Watcher of Clouds

Group: Members
Member No.: 254

I have mentioned this being before. Mostly in my blog Things Bumping in the Fog. But I never managed to finish that and then it got deleted along with my account.
(I do still plan to write that blog.)
But I haven't given any details on the thing because I wanted to avoid spoilers. And I was still developing it beyond its role as a Slendy replacement in future cloudverse stories.

The only concept I had was Masks. Slender proxies had been a pretty big part of my blogs and I didn't want to just cut them out. So I needed to change them but wanted to keep the masks.
(Mostly because I wanted to use my character Discordia again without changing her.)
So the masks were what I focused on and I thought the being they serve should have some connection to masks. So I called it the Masked god.

What did it represent though?
At first I just threw all my personal fears at it and stuck them together. It became sort of an anti fear. Sharing things in common with Fears that were important in the cloudverse but in a different way.
And that's what it was when I started writing TBitF.
In other words, not much.
I asked myself if it was a Fear, what would it be the Fear of? I didn't intend it to be a Fear so I didn't bother much trying to answer my own question.

Instead I focused on the servants, the Masks. Their goals, what life was for them and their role in the story. I won't say too much on that topic because spoilers.
Of course it focused a lot on their masks. Because why else name them after the things?
I mostly focused on two themes connected to a mask.

First the concept of being anonymous.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
-Oscar Wilde

This would be the focus of their side of the story. Putting on a mask so they can be their true selves. Their Goals and their actions all would revolve around this.

Second the story of the runners would focus on the fact that masks tend to make someone seem less human. In video games and movies masked mooks are often used. The fact that they all look the same and you can't see the person behind the mask/ whetever is being used to cover them up makes it easier to justify hurting them.
It dehumanizes them.

"Oh it's okay they're just faceless mooks. Nobody cares if they die" -random person.

Which is a thing that often happens in real life as well. Mostly in war but in many other situations as well. And it often leads to horrible thing being done to said people.

Yesterday I realized the connection to the Masked god. I finally answered my own question.
If the Masked god was to be used as a Fear he would be the Fear of Dehumanization.
The fear of being treated as if you were less than human.

Unfortunatly the Masked God is still not finished. As I have no idea what he should look like.
Well I have some ideas but none that I like.
The most obvious would be a humanoid figure with a mask. But that's well.. too obvious.
The original idea I had was to have him have several masks that each had its own form. But that just meant more work figuring out all the forms and making them all fit.

I have figured out it's role in the story.
But there are still details about the creature itself, how it manifests. Things its associated with, etc.
If anyone wants to help out with that, that'd be cool.

Also if I missed anything and you have questions about this thing feel free to ask.
I might answer vaguely if its a spoiler though.

PM
Vinyl Asylum
 Posted: Aug 7 2015, 09:35 PM

Corrupted

Member No.: 376

OK this is cool.

FEAR MYTHOS BLOGS
-David's Dream Journal
(http://ofnightmaresanddreams.blogspot.com/)
-Calls of the Silent Forsaken
(http://hearthemcallingfromoutside.blogspot.com/)
-Aboard the Dreadnaught (http://inthehallsofdeathsship.blogspot.com/)
SLENDER MAN MYTHOS BLOGS
-Pictures of Nature
(http://imagesfromtheworldaroundus.blogspot.com/)
NONFICTION BLOGS
-Musings
(https://www.tumblr.com/blog/musingsonhorrorandotherstuff)
PM
TheSomnambulist
 Posted: Aug 7 2015, 11:18 PM

Wordweaver/Neurotic individual

Group: Conspirator (Som)
Member No.: 40

Hmm I like this idea...

Perhaps for it's form ignore the masked person entirely and just make it's appearance focused entirely around a mask...

Just a floating mask is probably too cliche, same with a mask that attaches itself to people's faces and talks through them... So maybe some kind of creature that is just some sort of amorphous or strange form that manifests masks that talk for it? Maybe having it's shape alter to fit the emotion pervayed by the mask like have it manifest a happy mask and it becomes a happy colour and becomes a very smooth and non-threatening form or something?

I'm not crazy I just use a different definition of sanity...

The Forum Blunt Instrument. "Because sometimes the only way to get through to someone is with a sledgehammer."

Archon of Chaos.

Leader of the Cult of Filik.

Amalgam series goes in this order
Prestidigitation>Urban Malefic>The World Through These Eyeholes>Cold and Lonely Days>Metaphysical Fiction and Dawghouse>No Gods No Masters>Unlikely World>Epilogic
>Cresting The Wave

Extra stories that tie into The Somniverse at points and are not linked in the stories.
Sing to me Songs of The darkness>The One and Only
Last Rites
PM
Kiro Cloudwatcher
 Posted: Aug 8 2015, 12:32 AM

Watcher of Clouds

Yes, that's good.
It could probably decieve people or other beings by putting on a calm mask when it actually is about to do something violent.
And in rare cases when it is somehow wounded it becomes a wild mass of whatever it is made out of and damages everything around it.

I'm not sure if I'd prefer it to behave more like a liquid thing or more gas like.
There are already a few liquid fears.. And Like having it look maybe a bit ghostly.
But then I can't stop myself from imagining it like this:
(IMG:http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/thumb/c/ca/092Gastly.png/250px-092Gastly.png)

xD

Perhaps both? Depending on its mask?
Or both at once? Like it always seems to be evaporating but immediatly condensates again?

PM
Hexillith
 Posted: Aug 8 2015, 12:45 AM

Bat One
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 397

I like this. It feels like something I might use.

So this thing works mainly through proxies? How does it convert its proxies? Perhaps it sends part of itself to function as their masks?

The liquid/gas thing is cool. I guess the only idea I have for its form is maybe its mask could be made out of the creature itself, like the cloud/whatever forms a face and changes color and texture, rather than surrounding a mask.

Unseelie - The place where giants rule

Journal of the days after - Torn from xer awful embrace

Mene, Mene, Tekel, Upharsin - Read it and weep

Our Cyclical Dance - Endlessly in on itself

I'm on Tumblr and DeviantArt.

So look at the fleeting stars with fleeting eyes, and feel how the earth beneath you gives. It is all a temporary manifestation of particles, and it is all unraveling back to particulate silence. The bustle of the human day will come and will go. And then there will be night. -WtNV
PM
Kiro Cloudwatcher
 Posted: Aug 8 2015, 02:10 AM

Watcher of Clouds

In the cloudverse it does indeed work mainly through proxies/Servants.
But it doesn't have to. In the story it does this for plot reasons.

The Masks (the ones I mentioned above.) pretty much just worship it and do things for it. Because it can't do so itself. (In that blog of mine it does this. But it doesn't have to in other stories.)
This is hard to explain without spoilers.

Spoiler (Show/Hide)

The Masked God is not a Fear in the Cloudverse. Due to the nature of the cloud multiverse this means it's not automatically born/spawned in the different multiverses.
It has to force its way in.

And sometimes it does this temporarely by using a host that is inside the verse. But of course the host eventually dies and the masked god is still outside.
What it does to the host in detail I haven't figured out yet. I had this happen in the blog before it got deleted but it was very basic and it only happened once so far.
But it basically does send a partof itself into the host and uses the entire host as a mask/avatar/puppet.
Sometimes it targets one of the Masks as a host, other times whoever happens to be a place where the boundary is weak. (Dimensional bleeding)

One of the blogs will have a plot centered around the Masks trying to bring him into the universe permanently.

It also has another form of servants in the cloudverse. The afflicted.
Who don't appear until much later. You can find info on them on the wiki. I said I was gonna use them when they were a new thing and I still plan on doing so.
Only a few of them are my creations though. (two or three?)
I won't say anything about how I'll use them though. Not gonna give out that many spoilers.

Yeah. It making a mask out of a part of itself sounds better than a mask just being used.

Also I was talking to a friend on Skype about this and he had some interesting ideas too.

[3:26:46] : Well, you said that you didn't have a fixed appearance for it, so this ideas popped into my head. I imagined the Masked God as some thin, stick figure esque creature without a face. He's basically super vulnerable in this form, but not in the sense that he can be killed. He's simply more susceptible to losing his sense of self and identity. So he steals the faces (not literally in most cases of course, just a metaphor type of thing), in order to maintain his sanity.

All of his "masks" are collected in his personal collection within his domain. It's a room with a single beam of light in the middle shining ob a small wooden chair. Countless masks held up by stands surround it, with a unmistakable sense of fear on all if them.

[3:34:33]  (me): Interesting. I like it. Combining it with the somnambulists idea the stick figure would be its maskless true form. And the faces/Masks he steals allow him to change his form.- And I hadn't thought much about his domain because plot reasons.. But that would be a good domain for him outside of the cloudverse. (In the cloudverse he isn't a fear so he technically has no domain.)

[3:36:37] : Thanks, I'm really glad you like it. The stick figure thing was just the first thing that came to mind so you can always change it to something better.

[3:40:13] me: And I'm glad so many people seem to like the concept of the Masked god lol.- I'm sticking to the stick figure for now (pun intended) it works, combining my gas idea with it makes a gas like stick figure. Which is interesting.

PM
Dr0Shadow
 Posted: Aug 9 2015, 08:07 PM

He Who Walks Between The Worlds

Member No.: 408

Awesome idea.

Comment #1: If it steals identities/"faces" it would be too much like Nobody (characteristic wise). It seams to vulnerable with the fact that it would need to steal masks to keep its sanity, that sounds like an afflicted or a mortal being. The stick figure seams to much like slendy.
Idea #1: Before I saw this thread, I imagined it as a robed fugue with a mask (how cliche). I imagine it would have native american designs on its masks and robe (masks and costumes were very important to them).
Idea #2: As a fear, maybe it should also be the fear of loss of identity, becoming someone else, a fear of ourselves.
Comment #2: Technically you could argue that DEVOUR could be a gas (but really its more of a zombie virus that can exist in a slime form that can move in 3 dimensions...)
Idea #3: Going along with your current ideas, I say its a...#### I HAVE NO IDEA DANG JOVE! :angry:
Idea #4: I think that it only targets its victim for a short time, climaxing in a taking of the victims "face" and replacing it with another (to the victim there face has been replaced, but to everyone else [except other victims and its servants] they're still the same). This ranges from the victims "appearance" changing (only to their eyes/the people I said earlier), a change in personality (like being more shy, anger, etc.), or a compete warping into a servant. After the removal of the "face", Masky (well that's going to be confusing 0_o) loses interest unless the victim warps into a servant.
PM
Apostate
 Posted: Aug 9 2015, 11:09 PM

Mad

Member No.: 223

I like this Fear idea. What it it wasn't just a mask, but some kind of empty get-up? Say, the kind of straight-jacket muzzle combo asylums used to force mentally ill people into? If you're looking for dehumanization, look no further.

PM
Hexillith
 Posted: Aug 10 2015, 01:38 AM

Bat One
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 397

QUOTE (Apostate @ Aug 9 2015, 06:09 PM)
I like this Fear idea. What it it wasn't just a mask, but some kind of empty get-up? Say, the kind of straight-jacket muzzle combo asylums used to force mentally ill people into? If you're looking for dehumanization, look no further.

That is really heavy. In a good way.

Unseelie - The place where giants rule

Journal of the days after - Torn from xer awful embrace

Mene, Mene, Tekel, Upharsin - Read it and weep

Our Cyclical Dance - Endlessly in on itself

I'm on Tumblr and DeviantArt.

So look at the fleeting stars with fleeting eyes, and feel how the earth beneath you gives. It is all a temporary manifestation of particles, and it is all unraveling back to particulate silence. The bustle of the human day will come and will go. And then there will be night. -WtNV
PM
Kiro Cloudwatcher
 Posted: Aug 10 2015, 03:25 AM

Watcher of Clouds

@Dr0Shadow:

Comment#1:
I'm not sure how the stealing faces would even work. I still like the idea my friend suggested though. I could see it being limited to the faces of its victims appearing in its domain somehow.

That part does indeed make it slightly more vulnerable than a Fear normally is. Instead we should combine it with the previous idea of when it somehow gets wounded it becomes wild.
It has a mask but when the mask gets damaged and eventually breaks it breaks free of any sense of form it had and becomes a ball of pure Eldritchness. (Temporarily.)
Symbolic for a persons Persona (the jungian term not the Shin Megami Tensei spin-off series.) breaking and the person reverting to his Shadow.
This would happen rarely and only other Fears or similar beings could do this.
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
(Or in the case of my Cloudverses, a powerfull resonator could too.)

This way it doesn't need to steal faces to survive. It just does for no known reason.

Idea#1
The robed figure indeed a bit too much of a cliche. The native American mask idea is good though.
I will have to do some a lot of research on that. Unfortunatly I know very little about native americans, mostly because I'm from Belgium.
Then again researching that kind of stuff is incredibly fun so scratch that unfortunately. Yay for research.

Idea#2
Honestly I think we should stick to Dehumanization. I mean the fear of loss of Identity is more Nobody.
Becoming somebody else is just life right? I'm sure not the same person I was a few weeks ago. let alone years ago. I guess some people do fear that but eh.
And we have enough Fears of ourselves. You even linked to them.

That being said they do fit in the same theme. Especially with how I described the Masks earlier. They as servants seem to fit those things quite well. More so even than their god.
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
The Masks seem to think their god does fit these things though. But that's just a mistaken belief on their part. Just as they think he cares about them. He dehumanizes them just as much as you'd expect from an eldritch abomination. They're just tools to him. And they very much misunderstand everything about him.

However the fear of yourself and confusion about identity are common personal issues for the Masks.

comment#2
Well yeah but thats just one. I can name quite a few more that are liquid, or atleast partially. Even more that are associated with a liquid. That being said.. I have plans to use DEVOUR as well.

idea#3
Not sure how to respond to that random comment.

idea#4
See response to comment#1.
Also.. Eh maybe. Again seems to be similar to Nobody.
No literal face stealing. They just end up in his domain somehow.
And in my first drafts of TBitF his victims just drop dead after he completely dehumanizes them in a literal sense. He strips away everything and forces them to act inhuman like. Sometimes taking complete control and forcing away their personality completely. Turning them into a mindless temporary vessel.

If they do survive they'll definitly won't be who they were before. So that part of your idea is good. But their actual face changing? Eh.. I can see some horrifying things happening to their face as he takes control and then scars remaining afterwards. But other changes in their appearance? Nah.

@Apostate

Yes! Perfect.
As Hexilith mentioned, really heavy but in a good way.
I'm thinking of still having some kind of barely visible dark half liquid half vapor form inside the straight jacket.
With a mask that somewhat looks like a muzzle but with influences from native american masks.
( As suggested by DrOshadow.)

Continuation @ nobody in particular:

It doesn't have to be native american masks. There are a lot of cultures that use masks. The author can choose which culture's masks they want to use. Or a combination of masks.
Or we keep in the idea of different forms for certain moods but just the mask changes.

And when the mask gets broken the gas/liquid is released from the straight-jacket. And proceeds to go wild.

I'm also considering more than 4 limbs. Some restrained more than others.

I'm tempted to start drawing this. Perhaps I'll find some time to do so.

PM
Dr0Shadow
 Posted: Aug 10 2015, 04:51 PM

QUOTE (Kiro Cloudwatcher @ Aug 9 2015, 10:25 PM)
@Dr0Shadow:

Comment#1:
I'm not sure how the stealing faces would even work. I still like the idea my friend suggested though.  I could see it being limited to the faces of its victims appearing in its domain somehow.

That part does indeed make it slightly more vulnerable than a Fear normally is. Instead we should combine it with the previous idea of when it somehow gets wounded it becomes wild.
It has a mask but when the mask gets damaged and eventually breaks it breaks free of any sense of form it had and becomes a ball of pure Eldritchness. (Temporarily.)
Symbolic for a persons Persona (the jungian term not the Shin Megami Tensei spin-off series.) breaking and the person reverting to his Shadow.
This would happen rarely and only other Fears or similar beings could do this.
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
(Or in the case of my Cloudverses, a powerfull resonator could too.)

This way it doesn't need to steal faces to survive. It just does for no known reason.

Idea#1
The robed figure indeed a bit too much of a cliche. The native American mask idea is good though.
I will have to do some  a lot of research on that. Unfortunatly I know very little about native americans, mostly because I'm from Belgium.
Then again researching that kind of stuff is incredibly fun so scratch that unfortunately. Yay for research.

Idea#2
Honestly I think we should stick to Dehumanization. I mean the fear of loss of Identity is more Nobody.
Becoming somebody else is just life right? I'm sure not the same person I was a few weeks ago. let alone years ago. I guess some people do fear that but eh.
And we have enough Fears of ourselves. You even linked to them.

That being said they do fit in the same theme.  Especially with how I described the Masks earlier. They as servants seem to fit those things quite well. More so even than their god.
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
The Masks seem to think their god does fit these things though. But that's just a mistaken belief on their part. Just as they think he cares about them. He dehumanizes them just as much as you'd expect from an eldritch abomination. They're just tools to him. And they very much misunderstand everything about him.

However the fear of yourself and confusion about identity are common personal issues for the Masks.

comment#2
Well yeah but thats just one. I can name quite a few more that are liquid, or atleast partially. Even more that are associated with a liquid. That being said.. I have plans to use DEVOUR as well.

idea#3
Not sure how to respond to that random comment.

idea#4
See response to comment#1.
Also.. Eh maybe. Again seems to be similar to Nobody.
No literal face stealing. They just end up in his domain somehow.
And in my first drafts of TBitF his victims just drop dead after he completely dehumanizes them in a literal sense. He strips away everything and forces them to act inhuman like. Sometimes taking complete control and forcing away their personality completely. Turning them into a mindless temporary vessel.

If they do survive they'll definitly won't be who they were before. So that part of your idea is good. But their actual face changing? Eh.. I can see some horrifying things happening to their face as he takes control and then scars remaining afterwards. But other changes in their appearance? Nah.

I meant to convey that they didn't...sorta. They perceive themselves changed, while everybody else (except for servants and other victims) they look normal. Its like something only they see.
PM
Kiro Cloudwatcher
 Posted: Aug 10 2015, 06:16 PM

Watcher of Clouds

Oh, I see.

Still I hadn't intended on anyone surviving after he takes control.
But in other stories that could work for him.

PM
Dr0Shadow
 Posted: Aug 10 2015, 07:39 PM

QUOTE (Kiro Cloudwatcher @ Aug 10 2015, 01:16 PM)
Still I hadn't intended on anyone surviving after he takes control.

O-o By Jove...
PM
Kiro Cloudwatcher
 Posted: Aug 10 2015, 09:04 PM

Watcher of Clouds

QUOTE (Dr0Shadow @ Aug 10 2015, 08:39 PM)

O-o By Jove...

Yeah, the Masked god takes dehumanization a bit too literal sometimes.
Like that one time he dehumanized an entire universe. By getting rid of all the humans.

I better stop before I derail my own thread.

PM
theJOKER
 Posted: Nov 4 2015, 05:07 PM

Has a really nice vest.

Member No.: 363

Loosely related to the concept of masks, something I'm toying with on the story I'm working on is the duality of masks; how they simultaneously represent both freedom and repression. Anonymity vs. Façade.

When you have a mask on, you are effectively anonymous. You aren't really you, so you feel like you can get away with much more.
At the same time, masks can be used as a symbol of being repressed, having to pretend to be someone else, just to fit in with society.
its a literal vs. a metaphorical mask.

I've got this character/"fear"/collective identity thing that's more or less a Fear Mythos version of V/Saint Jimmy/The Joker/etc. that's based on the idea of using a symbol of oppression as a symbol of freedom, much in the same way that the pink triangle is now used as a symbol of gay pride.

"You need people like me so you can point your fuckin' fingers and say, "That's the bad guy." "

I am the world first Moral Absurdist. I noticed that there was not a philosophical term as such, so I coined it. Moral Absurdism: The belief that the concepts of "good" and evil" do not exist, and that morality is a sham, yet deciding to embrace the absurdity of that and hold a moral system anyways. The logical conclusion of nihilism. See also: Absurdism, Existentialism.
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 2  Reply to this topicCreate New TopicCreate New Poll