Pages: (6) 1 2 3 4 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicCreate New TopicCreate New Poll

The Plague Doctor, He's just a big old softie.
tgecko
 Posted: Jul 24 2012, 12:31 AM

Damned

Group: Members
Member No.: 161

They really are, and I think it's because there's that's the most obvious one. But something that's more accessible, something you don't need 4+ years of higher education for, that would be a really great way to keep his proxies accessible without having Dr. Beakman just making the rounds (hah!) over and over again.

I've also got an idea of how I want to play TPD himself, but I think I'll save that so there's no spoilers for the blog.

(Complete) Penny Dropped: An ex-con who's just trying to get back on her feet. Hi, Doc. (35 posts)
(Complete) The Games We Play: Debbie, Frog, and Clara (54 posts)
Götterdämmerung
Searching for Darcey Rose
PM
proxiehunter
 Posted: Jul 24 2012, 12:32 AM

Favored Servant
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 22

QUOTE (tgecko @ Jul 23 2012, 06:40 PM)
Bumpity bump bump.

I've been trying to think of another side to Plague Doctor proxies, besides Mad Doctors, Night Surgeons and Plague Bearers.  Something that can be just anybody on the street. 

I got to thinking this because most of the terror in the other proxies are that they could be anybody on the street.  I get that there is a specific terror in having a proxy be someone you normally trust, but I think there should still be that everyman aspect, too. 

Maybe Plague Bearers are not just in the medical field, maybe they're more wide-spread than that.  Like the food service industry, you eat some place and the food is great...up until it gives you E. Coli or Salmonella or something.  Thoughts?

Also!  Found this today when talking about it with my husband.  Morgellons.  Possible victims of the Good Doctor?

I suppose I should have been a little clearer about Plague Bearers here. I always intended the Plague Bearers to be Typhoid Mary types and the sort of everyday folks who encourage pox parties and sending infected lollipops through the mail instead of vaccination in addition to medical professionals with intentionally poor sterilization techniques. Anyone who spreads disease on purpose can be a Plague Bearer.
PM
tgecko
 Posted: Jul 24 2012, 12:35 AM

Damned

Maybe adding the pox parties in to the examples of Plague Bearers in the wikia, then?

(Complete) Penny Dropped: An ex-con who's just trying to get back on her feet. Hi, Doc. (35 posts)
Götterdämmerung
PM
proxiehunter
 Posted: Jul 24 2012, 12:36 AM

Favored Servant
Group Icon

QUOTE (LizardBite @ Jul 23 2012, 07:24 PM)
On the one hand, I really like the idea of Plaguey infesting the food-packing industry. On the other hand, I already feel that his servants are too overexposed. For a subtle and shadowy people who quietly work to bring about their master's work from a position of power and trust, it seems that you can't visit a single doctor in the mythos without him/her turning out to be an Oathbreaker. Seriously, they're everywhere.

I recommend attempting to move that more to paranoia that they could be anywhere (original intent btw) than having them actually be everywhere but I'm not sure how to handle it. The only reason I had them take over an entire hospital in "The Most Dangerous Game" was part of the whole "Multiple Servant types are staking out turf" sub plot that will be tying into that PI blog when I finally get it up.
PM
pullingoffmasks
 Posted: Jul 24 2012, 12:51 AM

Pugalistic student

Group: Conspirator (II)
Member No.: 122

QUOTE (LizardBite @ Jul 23 2012, 05:24 PM)
For a subtle and shadowy people who quietly work to bring about their master's work from a position of power and trust, it seems that you can't visit a single doctor in the mythos without him/her turning out to be an Oathbreaker. Seriously, they're everywhere.

The phrase "once bitten, twice shy" comes to mind.

If someone has a bad experience with someone (possibly a oathbreaker, possibly not) within the medical field, it's likely they will avoid them in future, or make godsdamned sure that they have no need of the health care field in the future.

Also, looking at interpretations of how stuff works with the Plague Doctor. Women, PoC, neurodivergent folks, trans*, and other "Others" are disproportionally effected by bad diagnosis, non-diagnosis, etc from the medical community.

Why aren't we seeing more of the interpretations along those lines?

Tea Time with the Traitor Masks and sewers and trains, OH MY!
525,600 minutes of absolute bullshit and bastardry James appears to be a bit busy with life, blogging shall resume shortly
~+~+~+~+~+~
Mental Health and Your Fear Blog A very brief primer to things to consider when writing a character that is 'going crazy'
~+~+~+~+~+~
Want to find out why my blogs are so slow to update, or real life the blog?
~+~+~+~+~+~
Finished blogs
Pulling off Masks ...but with a whimper...
PM
alliterator
 Posted: Jul 24 2012, 01:18 AM

The Jerkface Man
Group Icon

Member No.: 7

Why aren't we seeing more of the interpretations along those lines?

Probably because we just haven't thought up any ideas for them yet. Would you like to write a creepypasta about it?

Faces, Strange and Secret: An Anthology of Stories from da Fears Mythos: on sale from Amazon, Kindle, and Smashwords

My Finished Stories.

My Ongoing Stories:
Channel Fear (informational, educational, cynical)
The Supernatural Anaesthetist (seeing where science takes us)
Once There Was (the king is the kingdom)
An Old Man's Winter Night (at the winter of the world)
Unwashed and Somewhat Slightly Dazed (working for the man)
The Secret History of the World (unstuck in time)
Notes from the Underground (a place to stay)
Phantasmagorical (a bedtime story)
Paranoia: A Manifesto (wrecking the wall)
The Day The Music Died (running from sound and sorrow)
Abraham's Men (knights, ghosts, and shadows)
Pest Control (pulling the wings off of flies)
PM
tgecko
 Posted: Jul 24 2012, 01:20 AM

Damned

@proxiehunter: I like this application a lot more. It's easier to run from a proxy than it is to run from yourself.

@pullingoffmasks: Possibly a trope in action, can't think of what it's called, something like Every Writer is a Writer, or how a writer will have their main character be a writer. Not enough of us with experience to even consider that side of things?

Götterdämmerung
PM
proxiehunter
 Posted: Jul 24 2012, 01:22 AM

Favored Servant
Group Icon

QUOTE (pullingoffmasks @ Jul 23 2012, 07:51 PM)

The phrase "once bitten, twice shy" comes to mind.

If someone has a bad experience with someone (possibly a oathbreaker, possibly not) within the medical field, it's likely they will avoid them in future, or make godsdamned sure that they have no need of the health care field in the future.

Also, looking at interpretations of how stuff works with the Plague Doctor. Women, PoC, neurodivergent folks, trans*, and other "Others" are disproportionally effected by bad diagnosis, non-diagnosis, etc from the medical community.

Hell when I was a kid a doctor actually diagnosed me as having mild metal retardation based solely on the fact that I told him I was in special ed.Had my mother not been a nurse and had the paperwork cross her desk that diagnosis may have stuck. No telling what effect that could have had on me.
PM
pullingoffmasks
 Posted: Jul 24 2012, 01:23 AM

Pugalistic student

QUOTE (alliterator @ Jul 23 2012, 06:18 PM)
Probably because we just haven't thought up any ideas for them yet. Would you like to write a creepypasta about it?

*laughs* Yeah. Maybe at some point, but it'd read like an intro to medical anthropology.

525,600 minutes of absolute bullshit and bastardry James appears to be a bit busy with life, blogging shall resume shortly
~+~+~+~+~+~
Mental Health and Your Fear Blog A very brief primer to things to consider when writing a character that is 'going crazy'
~+~+~+~+~+~
~+~+~+~+~+~
Finished blogs
PM
proxiehunter
 Posted: Jul 24 2012, 01:24 AM

Favored Servant
Group Icon

QUOTE (tgecko @ Jul 23 2012, 08:20 PM)
@proxiehunter: I like this application a lot more.  It's easier to run from a proxy than it is to run from yourself.

@pullingoffmasks: Possibly a trope in action, can't think of what it's called, something like Every Writer is a Writer, or how a writer will have their main character be a writer.  Not enough of us with experience to even consider that side of things?

Oddly many of us here do have the experience and still haven't done so. I mean it doesn't really fit into any of the stories I've worked on but still the thought never occurred to me.
PM
pullingoffmasks
 Posted: Jul 24 2012, 01:32 AM

Pugalistic student

QUOTE (proxiehunter @ Jul 23 2012, 06:24 PM)
Oddly many of us here do have the experience and still haven't done so. I mean it doesn't really fit into any of the stories I've worked on but still the thought never occurred to me.

Think it's mostly because it's a bitch to deal with in colloquial Englishing without sounding like a tiny professor.

I like to delude myself that I got close when The Un-named Allistic arsehole Intern got punched out by Mara...but...YEAH...

~+~+~+~+~+~
~+~+~+~+~+~
~+~+~+~+~+~
Finished blogs
PM
proxiehunter
 Posted: Jul 24 2012, 06:18 AM

Favored Servant
Group Icon

As my edit summery on the wiki says "Edited Plague Bearers to indicate the existence of those outside the medical profession. May need additional polish."
PM
proxiehunter
 Posted: Jul 25 2012, 03:53 PM

Favored Servant
Group Icon

Edited the Oathbreaker entry again. Despite the line in the original post "Trace these ideas back to their source and I have no doubt you would eventually find someone with the Stick and the Serpent displayed in their office decor, or perhaps their jewelry." the wiki entry primarily listed tattoos of the symbol as an identifying feature. Presumably based off the one Proxiehunter killed in that same entry.
PM
tgecko
 Posted: Jul 25 2012, 04:05 PM

Damned

Yeah, I thought about that when you brought it up a few days ago, and so instead I'm going to use my scrubs-guy to: SPOILER

Spoiler: (highlight to see)

Reveal just how far Penny is gone in her delusions; she's been imagining the guy all along.

Götterdämmerung
PM
proxiehunter
 Posted: Jul 26 2012, 02:50 AM

Favored Servant
Group Icon

QUOTE (tgecko @ Jul 25 2012, 11:05 AM)
Yeah, I thought about that when you brought it up a few days ago, and so instead I'm going to use my scrubs-guy to: SPOILER

Spoiler: (highlight to see)

Reveal just how far Penny is gone in her delusions; she's been imagining the guy all along.

You want to do your spoilers the way I just edited the tags. On some of the forums skins white shows up even better than the other colors. There's also a specific spoiler tag button right after the youtube button.
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (6) 1 2 3 4 ... Last » Reply to this topicCreate New TopicCreate New Poll