Reply to this topicCreate New TopicCreate New Poll

Afraid of success
retrobanner
 Posted: Apr 23 2014, 08:51 PM

Innocent

Group: Members
Member No.: 382

I've been (lazily) piecing together ideas for a Fearblog from the perspective of a man who is ordered to carry out oddjobs by an unknown force/entity.

These jobs are all in random locations, but always end up with someone dead or horribly mutilated. Some of the jobs might be performing a murder himself, or stopping a man in the street long enough for him to get hit by a car.

The question, I suppose, is what Fear would most likely be responsible? My friend suggested making one up, but a Fear of Success somehow sounds weird to me.
PM
proxiehunter
 Posted: Apr 23 2014, 09:46 PM

Favored Servant
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 22

QUOTE (retrobanner @ Apr 23 2014, 03:51 PM)
I've been (lazily) piecing together ideas for a Fearblog from the perspective of a man who is ordered to carry out oddjobs by an unknown force/entity. 

These jobs are all in random locations, but always end up with someone dead or horribly mutilated.  Some of the jobs might be performing a murder himself, or stopping a man in the street long enough for him to get hit by a car. 

The question, I suppose, is what Fear would most likely be responsible? My friend suggested making one up, but a Fear of Success somehow sounds weird to me.

I could see it working with a variety of Fears. Dirty deeds done for an Archangel cult (whether they're doing them dirt cheap or not). A puppet on metaphorical strings instead of literal ones for the Wooden Girl. If he started out doing things less obviously horrible and it's progressed to this point then they might have trouble looking at themselves in the mirror and be worried about the kind of person they're becoming, so you've got the Mother of Snakes angle. I could see the Blind Man using a patsy too . . .

That's not even covering the fact that doing things like that could easily attract the attention of the Eye or the Black Dog.

You might also consider having it be cultists of the Fear manipulating the character. For example I could envision a Willing Doll who relished having a role as a puppet master themselves . . .
PM
theJOKER
 Posted: Apr 28 2014, 11:49 PM

Has a really nice vest.

Group: Members
Member No.: 363

I like the sound of the willing doll manipulating the protagonist. That could get very interesting, deepending on how its done!

"You need people like me so you can point your fuckin' fingers and say, "That's the bad guy." "

I am the world first Moral Absurdist. I noticed that there was not a philosophical term as such, so I coined it. Moral Absurdism: The belief that the concepts of "good" and evil" do not exist, and that morality is a sham, yet deciding to embrace the absurdity of that and hold a moral system anyways. The logical conclusion of nihilism. See also: Absurdism, Existentialism.
PM
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicCreate New TopicCreate New Poll